Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is it really to try and keep Starks?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

How important is it really to try and keep Starks?

I wouldn't be opposed at this point to trying to sign Hadnot and just letting Max walk. I know we are in dire need of Tackles on this roster but we are in equal need of a center if not more. Why not sign Hadnot, let Max walk and then use our day 1 picks to get 1 Tackle, 1 Guard, and then a WR or something.

The draft is more deep at T than it is at Center. We do have our 2 starting Guards right now penciled in with Simmons and Kemoeatu but I'd hope Colon gets a chance at Guard as well since he just didn't do that great last year. Just some food for thought though since that offer for Starks is looming with a big cap number if he does sign it.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed at this point to trying to sign Hadnot and just letting Max walk. I know we are in dire need of Tackles on this roster but we are in equal need of a center if not more. Why not sign Hadnot, let Max walk and then use our day 1 picks to get 1 Tackle, 1 Guard, and then a WR or something.

The draft is more deep at T than it is at Center. We do have our 2 starting Guards right now penciled in with Simmons and Kemoeatu but I'd hope Colon gets a chance at Guard as well since he just didn't do that great last year. Just some food for thought though since that offer for Starks is looming with a big cap number if he does sign it.
    we need a center. all the games when ben was sacked 457 times was because mahan sucks and the guards/tackles have to come off their blocks to pick up mahan's mistakes.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    i have an odd feeling that we're not going to make any moves at the center position.
    Last edited by yinzer; 03-06-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Reppin' 724
    Do we have a choice, seeing as we already tagged him, and no on is trying to make a move on him?

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Thats the thing with tagging him, we can't just pull the tag cuz we don't want him anymore. Once you tag a player, your showing him and the rest of the team that your somewhat committed to him. So if you pull the tag your sending the wrong message to the rest of the team. Right now as it stands, its a standoff between us and the rest of the league. We're waiting on someone to set the market price on Starks, so far nobody has stepped up. Once someone offers a contract then either its cheap enough to match and keep him or we can let him walk. Then again, Starks could walk into the FO's office and say he wants to sign the TT, but just because he signs it doesn't mean we can't negotiate a multi year contract which would save us cap money.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

They must pull the "transition tag"

There is no way that you can justify giving a 3rd string tackle 6.7 mil per year when you shunned a 7 time pro-bowl guard who signed for 8 mil a year with somebody else. 7 pro-bowls isn't worth the additional 1.3 mil which is the difference between Faneca's new deal with the Jets and the transition salary Max will get? That is ridiculous! Starks is not worth that much coin and if you give it to him you create salary problems with other players down the road who will expect the same generosity. What will the starting tackles think when the 3rd stringer makes more than they do? Nothing in Starks level of play last year made him worthy of franchise player salary. They must pull the transition tag and give him a rational deal that won't upset the current order in the universe. If they don't that contract will come back to haunt them in spades!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im banking on somebody offering him some type of long term deal soon, not for what we offered him of course because that's pretty unlikely, but atleast something that can begin the bargaining process. Most times athletes don't like taking 1 yr deals because it creates uncertainty so Im figuring somebody would offer him a deal to come play and then maybe we can let him walk or match it depending on the price.

we need him...he needs us, just sign a more cap friendly deal

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    we need him...he needs us, just sign a more cap friendly deal
    this dude was a starter on our SBXL team, his play is spotty but honestly he's one of the most experienced OL we have and he has shown signs of being a capable starting RT!!!! SIGN HADNOT!!!!!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    There is no way that you can justify giving a 3rd string tackle 6.7 mil per year when you shunned a 7 time pro-bowl guard who signed for 8 mil a year with somebody else. 7 pro-bowls isn't worth the additional 1.3 mil which is the difference between Faneca's new deal with the Jets and the transition salary Max will get? That is ridiculous! Starks is not worth that much coin and if you give it to him you create salary problems with other players down the road who will expect the same generosity. What will the starting tackles think when the 3rd stringer makes more than they do? Nothing in Starks level of play last year made him worthy of franchise player salary. They must pull the transition tag and give him a rational deal that won't upset the current order in the universe. If they don't that contract will come back to haunt them in spades!
    Your right, Starks isn't worth that much money. First off though, Faneca wanted out of Pittsburgh, I really don't think that he would've signed any offer made by the Steelers. After the drama in training camp last year and his contract not being already reworked, plus throw in his buddies Grimm and Whiz were gone, he had to of wanted out of Pittsburgh. Which is kind of ironic he lands in NY, everybody remember Fanecas comments on Ben his rookie year? Now hes in NY with who? Pennington and Clemens

When the Steelers put the TT on Starks there were consequences to think of 1. Starks would actually sign it and our cap would be screwed 2. Starks would get an offer from another team and we would either let him walk w/o being compensated or if the offer was low enough we would match it. There is still time and Starks hasn't even gotten a visit scheduled from another team. No way even Starks thinks hes worth that much money, the FO and Starks will sit down and get a contract done. Plus who's to say they're not talking right now on a contract, we just signed M&M and still bringing guys in, maybe the FO knows they have more money to play with then we know of.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I really think the Steelers felt like they could get Max to sign that deal and then redo a long term deal for a more cap friendly number in a fairly short time frame. It appears at least right now, that it may have backfired a little bit since Starks hasn't signed it yet nor has gotten any offers from other teams. Granted FA is only just begun so there's still time to work this out but at this point it's really imperative that we either get him signed or let him hope that now in this 2nd wave of FA's that he starts to get some offers so we can work something out. I wish he'd just take a long term deal with us and we could get out from under this issue with him before the draft gets here.

Thread Information