Thread: Polamalu should be well armed for return

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Polamalu should be well armed for return

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06272/726055-66.stm

Friday, September 29, 2006
    By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Troy Polamalu will return to work Monday on three days' rest.

"I definitely couldn't pitch, though."

No worries there, for his job requirement as Steelers strong safety includes almost everything but that. Yet he expects, after this weekend off, to report back to the South Side complex hale and problem-free for San Diego. There, in nine days' time, he aims to return to his native Southern California and to return to form as the Troy Polamalu the NFL knows and, well, fears: flowing mane, pinballing body, roaming Qualcomm Stadium tackling and blitzing and covering Chargers.

"I feel fine now," Polamalu said yesterday after an abbreviated practice, after which the Steelers scattered for a bye-weekend respite. Polamalu's destination: home, rest, recuperation from a right shoulder that has pained him since the first half of that season-opening victory against Miami. "We'll find out in San Diego if it still bothers me. But I don't anticipate it bothering me."

The shoulder doesn't frustrate him as much as the Steelers' 1-2 start, he maintained ("I'd feel a lot better if we were 3-0"). But it is the hazy variety of injury where the best prescription remains a simple remedy: Just chill.

"There's nothing you can do," he said. "Only rest.

"The bad thing about it is, there's nothing you could shoot up for a game, either."

Polamalu, a player so particular about his own body that he disdains weight training for an individually tailored workout regimen, has taken the needle before. The result, however, wasn't an overly positive memory. He was forced to miss the final game of his senior season at USC because an injection into an aching hamstring caused numbness that temporarily paralyzed him. The same affliction, he noted, befell Jerome Bettis' injured groin muscle the morning of an AFC playoff date with Baltimore in the 2001 season.

The current ailment has yet to sideline Polamalu. No such injury has been able to remove him from a game to date. Polamalu has started 41 consecutive games and played in all 57 regular-season and postseason contests in his career. Thus far in 2006, this Pro Bowl safety intercepted a Miami pass late, batted away two passes and nearly picked off one against Jacksonville and collected four tackles against Cincinnati -- all while playing with one healthy arm.

That was what Bill Cowher meant when he talked about a one-armed Polamalu being a better alternative than most fit defensive backs in the league.

Im looking forward to seeing Troy back on fully healed and ready to go. As valuable as he is even when he's injured, he's a monster when he's healthy. You could tell he hasn't been the same Troy we're used since week 1. He was still awesome but didn't quite have the same intensity or power from the injury.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Can't wait to see him back to %100! Our D has played well so far but will be even better with him healthy.

I wasn't liking watch Troy play with one arm! I almost felt sorry for him but at the same time I was wondering why he was even on the field? A healthy Troy is a big key to the Steelers D being successful, although they weren't to bad when he was injured either

I have been impressed with our D up until this point, but I can't wait to see Troy all over the field causing more confusion for opposing offenses

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

House of Steel
    You know he is returning to Southern California, his college roots, I guarantee you, he is pumped up for this one and ready to rock n roll all over the Chargers. I bet you he will put on a hell of a display in San Diego. I can't wait to watch this greatest show on Earth.

I only wish that we could clone him....if we had an entire defense or even just a secondary made of up of Polomalu's there would be no chance of ever reachin the end zone.

BuFu

Polamalu owned gates last year...hopfully he'll be ready to do it again.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by HburgXL06 View Post
    I only wish that we could clone him....if we had an entire defense or even just a secondary made of up of Polomalu's there would be no chance of ever reachin the end zone.

BuFu
    No doubt. He was layin him out every time he came across the middle or even thought about making a catch.

We need to punish every WR, every TE, every RB that touches the ball, right off the bat ! Let em know we're in the house and we came to kick some *** !

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    We need to punish every WR, every TE, every RB that touches the ball, right off the bat ! Let em know we're in the house and we came to kick some *** !
    Exactly, basic defensive strategy: If it has the ball....KILL IT!! Make the opponent hurt every time they touch the ball.

BuFu

My Mood
    Addicted
    If we stop LT we have this game. Plain and simple. Well unless we turn the ball over 5 more times but that better not happen again!

Thread Information