Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belichick throws trash talk back at Bengals' Johnson

Bookmark and Share

Belichick throws trash talk back at Bengals' Johnson

I didn't think Belichick had it in him, but then again he has been in the news lately for other eye brow raising antics

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news

September 28, 2006

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Hey, Chad Johnson, Bill Belichick can talk trash, too.

New England's normally dour coach stepped out of character Thursday to playfully jab at Johnson, a day after the Bengals wide receiver vowed to wreak havoc on the Patriots' secondary when the teams meet Sunday in Cincinnati.

Johnson specifically pleaded with "Mr. Belichick" to let cornerback Asante Samuel, whom Johnson described as a good friend, cover him one-on-one. "I won't score," Johnson promised. "I'll stop at the one and go out of bounds or something."

"Tell him we'd cover him one-on-one all the time, but he pushes off more than any receiver in the league," Belichick said with a grin. "He must be paying off the officials not to call it, so we're going to have to double-cover him some. ... Not that he can get open."

The Patriots are famous for using opponents' slights -- either real or perceived -- as motivation. But the fun-loving Johnson, a three-time Pro Bowler, seems to get a free pass.

Belichick called him an "entertaining kid" with a "good sense of humor" and said the two have bumped into each other at various offseason functions.

Belichick said he worked out Johnson at USC before the 2001 draft and remembered Johnson, who played at Oregon State, proudly flying his college's flag as he drove onto campus.

House of Steel
    I guess this game is going to become a big circus then. I could care less about both of the teams.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You know the trash talking it reaching new levels when BB gets into it ! I think that's definately a first for him

Yet another article that shows chad's talk is all in good fun.. Maybe someday you guys will get it
    Brian
    cincybengals.com

The fact that a guy who caught one pass for 11 yards last week is even opening his mouth really says it all.

Man, I miss the days of guys like Barry Sanders. No talk, he just left it all out on the field. Class act, and the antithesis of these punks today.

We all know Chad is joking. That's why Porter didn't kick his *** before the game. Every time he says stuff, and they ask the Steelers' players about it, they all laugh and say it's Chad and he's just joking.

Anyway, I don't know how Belichick is going to double cover Chad, when he has so few capable DBs, and he'll just burn them anyway even if he is double covered. The Pats pass D is pathetic.

I was talking about this on a bengals site. Here's what one bungle fan said:
    "That's a mighty fine article, I must say. Old Bill has a little bag of jokes in his pocket, apparently."

My response? "Actually he's got 22 of them. 11 on offense and 11 more on defense."
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    I was talking about this on a bengals site. Here's what one bungle fan said:
    "That's a mighty fine article, I must say. Old Bill has a little bag of jokes in his pocket, apparently."

My response? "Actually he's got 22 of them. 11 on offense and 11 more on defense."
    I'll have to share that with my office mate because he's a huge Pats fan! That's pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    We all know Chad is joking.
    Most do anyway
    Brian
    cincybengals.com

Rookie Free Agent
    haha yeah...the only non joke on the pats roster is mr Belichick...and even then hes a joke most weeks

My Mood
    Amazed
    If this were the Pats team of a few years ago, this would be a great game.

Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Thread Information