Thread: Athletes' good deeds virtually ignored

Bookmark and Share
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

Athletes' good deeds virtually ignored

Athletes' good deeds virtually ignored

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, March 3, 2008

Ten-year-old Mark Brown-Williams was buried in Detroit on Saturday. The fourth-grader fell through ice atop a tributary Feb. 21. His body was pulled from the water two days later. Steelers linebacker Larry Foote grew up in Detroit and played on the same frozen river as a youngster. Foote, who has a son not much older than Brown-Williams, was so touched by the tragedy that he paid for the funeral of a boy he didn't know personally.

Foote's generosity received brief play in Pittsburgh and Detroit. It didn't go over big nationally because Foote's benevolence ran counter to how athletes are generally portrayed in the media.
    Foote wasn't stopped by police for driving under the influence. He wasn't suspended for using performance-enhancing drugs. He didn't "make it rain" at a gentleman's club.

He's a professional football player who used his financial wherewithal to help a grieving family in need.

Bor-ing.

What Foote did wasn't deemed to be "SportsCenter" worthy.
    Being a good samaritan doesn't sell in the media.
    Controversy sells.

Better to perpetuate a stereotype than to seek out and report the truth.

Sigh.

Truth be told, the Larry Footes of the NFL far outweigh the Pacman Joneses.

Not every pro athlete abuses his celebrity, despite what you read, hear and see on a regular basis.

There are Larry Footes in every sport -- good people doing good things. The media has a professional obligation to tell the public the whole truth, not just the juiciest stories.

Unfortunately, some of the best stories featuring some of the biggest names in sports go virtually ignored.

During last month's NBA All-Star Weekend in New Orleans, more than 2,500 people led the single largest volunteer effort since Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005.

The NBA isn't just offering free basketballs and sneakers. The league has contributed more than $15 million to the rebuilding efforts.
    Superstars such as Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul and Paul Pierce helped build houses in the eastern part of the city two days before the All-Star Game.

To the skeptical, prying eyes of the mass media, the actions of a few elite players in a league starved for positive attention might be viewed as a publicity stunt.

Be that as it may, Hurricane Katrina is a life-and-death situation.
    It's bigger than the NBA, bigger than sports.
    New Orleans is inhabited by real people who need help. The NBA, to its credit, is offering just that.
    Bravo.

And kudos to Foote, who gave to a family in need while giving the NFL's image a much-needed shot in the arm.

LINK

condolences to the little boy's family. great gesture, Larry. makes me proud to be a Stiller fan.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Foote is a down to earth guy that really cares about the community he plays in and grew up in...it makes you proud to see players do stuff like this for people they don't even know. He's always been one of my favorite current Steeler players.

I read about this today. Talked about it with a coworker. Pacman makes it rain and the whole world knows about it. Mr.Foote does good and its an old story that is new to most. How sad.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Props to Foote and **** the media.....

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

2nd String
    BRAYLON EDWARDS DID THE SAME THING 4 MY COUSIN, HE STARTED THE CLEVELAND INNER CITIES SCHOOLS MILLION DOLLAR SCHOLAR SHIPS PROGRAM, WHICH MY COUSIN WAS PART OF, HE DIED LAST SEASON OF HEART FAILURE, BRAYLON STEPPED UP 2 THE PLATE AN PAIDED 4 THE WHOLE FUNERAL, AN HE DEDICATED HIS 1ST TOUCH DOWN 2 MY COUSIN AGAINST THE RAMS THAT DAY, NOW I'M AN STEELERS FAN AN HAVE ALLWAYS BEEN BUT I HAVE MAD RESPECT 4 BRAYLON, BECAUSE HE DIDN'T HAVE 2 DO THAT...........................BUT THESE TYPE OF DEEDS GO UN NOTICE BY THE MEDIA, LIKE THE GUY POSTED EARLIER F*** THE MEDIA THEY SUCK..............

unfortunately the media would rather focus on what players get dui's and assaults....the world needs more stories like this...they happen..they just get put behind the drama...personally i would rather hear a hundred stories like this....larry foote is a great person...and he solidifies all the reasons i am a steeler fan....that is what defines a true champion
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

The media have, and will always focus on bad things. Those are the news that sell, believe it or not. Its a sad fact, indeed.

Both stories touched me. Makes me damn proud to be a steelers fan, and i guees there is till polite people left in this world. That truely is nice to know :P
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Chatty
    Unfortunately that's the downfall of our media out there, just look at the war, you never see the good things that come out of it, the kids loving getting candy, pencils and lots of goodies from our soldiers. We never see the good things our military do and it's the same with the NFL, NBA and every other Americans out there. We only hear about the bad, traumatizing stuff. I can't even stand to watch the news anymore!!
    Good for Larry!! What a sweet caring guy!! God Bless him!!!
    Our boys are so down to earth and I love to see the players from the NFL helping people in need, building houses, donating money, just doing good things for their communities etc. God bless these men of greatness!!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Great thing Larry did. It is a real shame that the negative if the main focus of the media instead of showing good deeds like these.

Thread Information