Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaeth is the X factor in our offense

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Spaeth is the X factor in our offense

We have proven weapons in Hines, Santonio & Heath and a potentially big weapon in Nate but Matt Spaeth is the guy who can really do some damage in this offense if they use him properly.

The dude is freek at 6'7" and would be absolutely money in the redzone and on those sideline jump balls too. He was doing well early in the year but then he kind of disappeared from the offense and then got hurt later in the year. There's not many DB's in the league that could cover this kid if he really works on those pass catching skills and comes around to be a force we can really count on. Arians is so big on the TE in an offense so take this kid and get him more involved.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    Didnt he have like 4 or so TD's in the first 4 or 5 games then never scored the rest of the season (going off what I can recall) I was excited at first but wondered what happened

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    I'd like to see more from Spaeth, however his production will be limited at TE as a result of playing behind a stud like Heath. What we need is a Spaeth-like WR to line-up opposite of Holmes. This will allow Ward to work primarily out of the slot where he can do the most damage.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Spaeth had receiving stats in only 4 (3 TD's) games this year, maybe if we fix our OL, we can use him more.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

What about using him more as a TE and then letting Heath move around more. I don't know if that would blow up in our faces though.

How high can Spaeth jump though? Just because he's tall doesn't mean he's going to beat corners for jump balls. The best way to use him is to get him in a mismatch against a LB or maybe even a shorter Safety and then throw it up to him. But I think if you're trying to throw a fade to him against a CB, all you'll get is a pick.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Frustrated
    We run enuff 2 TE sets that we should be able to infuse a bunch of plays aimed at Spaeth.

From this ( http://postgazette.com/pg/07121/782339-66.stm ) article when they drafted him last year:

"He is big, tall and fast," Arians said. "He can block. He is an outstanding, prototypical tight end. At 6-7, he can help stretch the field and he can also handle the point of attack.

"He gives us good flexibility to take Heath and move him around a lot more. Also ... I like having three tight ends on the field a lot of times."

Spaeth, a four-year starter at Minnesota and first team All-Big Ten the past two years, becomes the tallest target for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and certainly not his most humble.

"I'm a physical, blocking tight end," Spaeth said. "I can run routes, catch the ball. I'm a four-down guy. I can stay on the field and we don't have to make a sub for a running down or a passing down."
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

i like him, he did good in limited playing time and i look forward to yet another reason why we need to sure up our oline...so we can move them around and get them the ball

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    "I'm a physical, blocking tight end," Spaeth said. "I can run routes, catch the ball. I'm a four-down guy. I can stay on the field and we don't have to make a sub for a running down or a passing down."
    I like the confidence, if Arians doesn't use him next year, then I hope Spaeth has a little "talk" with him.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information