Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stallworth to Browns & Quinn wants to start - Stroud to Bills - Justin Smith to 49ers

Bookmark and Share
    Pro Bowl #2 and Counting JoeThomas's Avatar

Stallworth to Browns & Quinn wants to start - Stroud to Bills - Justin Smith to 49ers

On the first day of NFL free agency, the Cleveland Browns first locked up quarterback Derek Anderson with a three-year deal.

On Saturday, they gave him a new target to pass to.

According to a source, Donte' Stallworth, who played last season with the New England Patriots, agreed to terms on a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns, $ 10 million of which are guaranteed.

Stallworth, caught 46 passes for 697 yards and three touchdowns as part of a receving corps that included Wes Welker and Pro Bowler Randy Moss.

Stallworth's best overall season was in 2005 when he caught 70 passes for 945 yards and seven touchdowns as a member of the New Orleans Saints.

Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.

Browns have been doing very well for themselves. They will most defnitely be in contention next year. Mad props to them.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    49ers sign former Bengal Smith to six-year deal

NFL.com Wire Reports

The San Francisco 49ers signed free-agent defensive end Justin Smith on Saturday in a move they hope will bolster their pass rush.

The contract is worth $45 million over six years, including $20 million in guaranteed money, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
    Free Agency 2008

» Track more than 400 free agents
    » Carucci: Eagles make statement
    » Kirwan: Early impressions
    » Friday's free-agent roundup
    » Video: Recapping Friday's moves
    » Video: Top free agents still available

Smith, the No. 4 overall pick by Cincinnati in 2001, had 43.5 sacks in seven seasons with the Bengals and was one of the top pass rushers available on the free agent market this season.

After meeting with the 49ers coaching staff and taking a helicopter tour of San Francisco, Smith decided to cancel planned visits to Minnesota and Jacksonville and sign with the 49ers instead.

"The reason I decided to cancel my other visits is meeting with the coaching staff here," Smith said. "From top to bottom it's a first-class organization and when you get in a situation like that it's a no-brainer. I think I'll be a great fit."

The Niners were tied for 21st in the NFL last season with only 31 sacks. Bryant Young, who led the team with 6.5 sacks, retired after the season leaving a big void at defensive end.

Smith had at least five sacks in each of his first six seasons with the Bengals before recording only two last season. He has led the Bengals defensive line in tackles in each of the past six seasons and was designated as the team's franchise player in 2007.

The Niners have been busy so far in the free agency season after going 5-11 last season, signing receiver Isaac Bruce and kick returner Allen Rossum.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    Browns have been doing very well for themselves. They will most defnitely be in contention next year. Mad props to them.
    they'll be in contention alright. contention for the steelers to keep whipping their arses as usual.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Bills acquire DT Stroud in trade with Jaguars

Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Bills acquired three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Marcus Stroud in a trade with Jacksonville on Saturday in Buffalo's latest and most significant move to revamp its porous defense.

In exchange, the Bills gave up an undisclosed number of draft picks.
    Free Agency 2008

» Track more than 400 free agents
    » Carucci: Eagles make statement
    » Kirwan: Early impressions
    » Friday's free-agent roundup
    » Video: Recapping Friday's moves
    » Video: Top free agents still available

Stroud, listed at 6-foot-6 and 310 pounds, immediately solidifies a defensive line that also features pass-rushing end Aaron Schobel. And the seven-year veteran improves a defense that finished 31st in the NFL in yards allowed last season.

The move was completed after the Bills began revamping their defense on Friday, the first day of NFL free agency. That's when Buffalo signed linebacker Kawika Mitchell to a five-year deal and released veteran defensive tackle Larry Tripplett.

In another move Saturday, the Bills signed former Minnesota defensive tackle Spencer Johnson to a five-year contract.

"It's certainly been an exhilarating 36 hours," Bills chief operating officer Russ Brandon said, introducing both Stroud and Spencer at a press conference. "We're certainly excited about what's transpired. ... We feel this is a significant day in Buffalo Bills history."

The Bills are coming off their second consecutive 7-9 season and have missed the playoffs for eight straight years -- the longest drought in franchise history.

Stroud is scheduled to make $16.5 million in base salary over the final three years of his contract. He had the Jaguars' permission to seek a trade and arrived in Buffalo on Friday to meet with team executives and take a physical.

It's not clear whether Stroud's contract will be restructured as part of the deal.

Stroud is coming off a troubled season in which he finished on injured reserve. He missed the final three games after re-injuring his surgically repaired right ankle, an injury that hobbled him at the end of the 2006 season.

Stroud also served a four-game NFL suspension for violating the league's steroids and related substances policy. The player acknowledged he took supplements to help recover from the ankle operation.
    Buffalo Bills

* Complete coverage: Video | Schedule | Stats
    * Roster | Depth chart | Transactions
    * Official team site: BuffaloBills.com

"That's all last year, it's already in the past," Stroud said. "I want to show the guys I've got a lot left in the tank."

At his best, Stroud is the type of dominating presence the Bills could use to shore up the middle of their defense, which struggled against the run and had difficulty applying pressure.

Jacksonville's 2001 first-round draft pick out of Georgia, Stroud played an integral role in helping the Jaguars defense become one of the stingiest -- especially against the run -- over the past few years. Stroud had three sacks last season and 22 overall in 100 games.

Johnson's signing was overshadowed by Stroud's arrival.

Listed at 6-foot-3 and 286 pounds, Johnson has spent the past four seasons with the Vikings. He played in all 16 games this past season, finishing with 24 tackles and three sacks. In 49 career NFL games, Johnson has 108 tackles and four sacks.

The Bills might not be done adding players, yet.

Free-agent receiver Bryant Johnson and tight end Ben Troupe are both scheduled to visit with the Bills on Sunday, according to their agent, Joel Segal.

Buffalo is looking to upgrade both positions, and the 6-foot-3 Johnson is regarded as the type of tall and fast receiver the Bills hope to land to take pressure off Lee Evans.

Troupe played sparingly for Tennessee in 2007, catching only five balls for 47 yards. He had a career-high 55 receptions in 2005 for the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    by the way, how can you give "props" to the stains? what kind of steeler fan are you? just kidding!
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I bet Smith is just happy to be out of Bunghole land.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Browns now have ZERO picks in the 1st 3 rounds of the upcoming draft.

They are banking heavily on these FA's to help them out but have zero picks on day 1 is a risky move so they better hope they guys stay healthy.

Pro Bowl #2 and Counting JoeThomas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The Browns now have ZERO picks in the 1st 3 rounds of the upcoming draft.

They are banking heavily on these FA's to help them out but have zero picks on day 1 is a risky move so they better hope they guys stay healthy.
    if you imagine what they got for those picks its a plus now, but yes, could hurt a few years down the line. but savage loves the draft, i bet he finds a way to get back into it.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If they are smart they try and trade away a couple draft picks this year and next year to atleast get back into the day 1 area of the draft and keep stockpiling talent because if any one of those FA's get hurt or just doesn't pan out they'll be in trouble.

Thread Information