Thread: Malkin has dislocated left shoulder

Malkin has dislocated left shoulder

I'm not a big hockey fan, but I do pay attention to what's going on with the Pens...

sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news
    PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Evgeni Malkin dislocated his left shoulder during his first preseason game with the Pittsburgh Penguins, knocking him out of practice Thursday and raising questions about his availability for the Oct. 5 opener.

Malkin attended practice but did not take part, and teammates said he looked much better than he did after getting hurt Wednesday night against the Philadelphia Flyers in an exhibition game in New Brunswick.

The Penguins did not say how long they expect the 20-year-old Russian star to be out or if he will be ready for their Oct. 5 opener.

Malkin, who had made several excellent passes earlier in the game, skated off the ice during the second period of a 5-4 victory over Philadelphia in Moncton after colliding with teammate John LeClair. Malkin was clutching his left arm in pain as he left the ice, but did not have a sling on his arm after the game.

"The way he skated off holding his arm, it didn't look good at all," center Sidney Crosby said Thursday. "But just to see him up and around this morning, he was smiling and he didn't seem set back too much, so I think he feels a lot better."

"He looked all right," forward Colby Armstrong said. "I tried to talk to him, but it's tough to get anything out of him. Let's hope he's all right and this was a precaution more than anything."

Neither Crosby nor Malkin will play in a preseason home game against Washington on Friday night. Crosby played in the Penguins' first two exhibition games, but will be held out of at least several preseason games so as not to risk injury.

Veteran forward Mark Recchi also won't play Friday because of a broken left cheekbone. The injury is not expected to cause him to miss the start of the season. He said he could have played Friday if it had been a regular season game.

Malkin was hurt after sending a pass that LeClair missed. Malkin circled around the right side of the net before running into LeClair -- and trying to hurdle over him -- behind the left goal post.

"I was going to the net and he made a fantastic pass," LeClair said. "I was all ready to shoot it, but the puck stopped on me, and when I went to readjust, I kind of caught a rut, and that's when everything broke loose and I went into the boards. ... I tried to brace myself and we ended up colliding."

Malkin left his Russian club, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, last month to join the Penguins and play in the NHL. The team is threatening legal action against the Penguins or the league.

My Mood
    Addicted
    That sucks but at least it is early in the year. He has plenty of time to recover.

i saw the hit with leclair last night, it was wicked. i think it could have been a lot worse.

My Mood
    Addicted
    If I had known they were playing in New Brunswick I might have tried to go. It's only about 2 hours from here.

House of Steel
    Is their a video of that vicious hit around, Friday?

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Dang the pens just cannot catch a break.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Here it is.

It looks really bad, but it sounds like it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I wonder why that article AZ posted doesn't interview Gonchar? He would probably know more than any other player on the Pens, because he speaks Russian and Malkin is living with him.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

House of Steel
    OH MY WORD!!! I am surprised he didn't get paralyzed from that hit. That was very vicious. Thanks for the video, SF87. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! That made my teeth rattle.

UPDATE......

No surgery expected for Malkin, out 4-to-6 weeks
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news
    PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Penguins rookie Evgeni Malkin, re-examined by doctors on Monday, is not expected to need surgery on his dislocated left shoulder but still could be sidelined up to six weeks.

Malkin, expected to team with Sidney Crosby to give the Penguins one of the NHL's top center combinations, was injured during his first exhibition game Wednesday. Malkin collided with teammate John LeClair behind the net during a game in Moncton, New Brunswick.

If Malkin is out a month, he likely would miss the Penguins' first seven games. A six-week layoff would cause him to miss approximately 10 games.

Surgery likely would have forced Malkin to miss up to two-thirds of his rookie season -- a major setback not only to his career but the Penguins' hopes of improving this season following four consecutive last-place division finishes.

Despite being injured, the 20-year-old Malkin is expected to rejoin the team at West Point, N.Y., this week for four days of team-building exercises. The team flew from London, Ontario, where it played an exhibition game Sunday, to West Point on Monday and doesn't play another exhibition game until Friday.

It is uncertain how much physical work Malkin can do during the West Point camp, but teammates said the injury appears to be less serious than they initially feared it might be.

"The way he went down, I was just hoping he was going to get up," Crosby said. "It was pretty scary the way he went down over Johnny like that. The way he hit the ice, I wasn't sure if it was his neck or his face or what it was."

Malkin, previously considered the best player not playing in the NHL, left his Metallurg Magnitogorsk team of the Russian Super League during training camp in Helsinki, Finland, last month to make a clandestine journey to the United States and begin his NHL career.

He was under contract for another year there, but was allowed to sign an NHL contract because there is no transfer agreement between the Russia, the International Ice Hockey Federation and the NHL that compensates Russian teams for players who leave for the NHL.

Malkin also resigned from the team, citing a Russian labor law that permits an employee to leave a job by giving two-weeks notice.

A Russian arbitration panel has ruled Malkin is still under contract to Magnitogorsk, and the team is threatening to file suit in the United States to receive compensation for losing Malkin.

The Penguins open the season Oct. 5 at home against Philadelphia.

Rookie Free Agent
    well at least he doesnt need surgery...that woulda kept him out for a lot longer

Thread Information