Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asante Samuel signs..Couglin extention..Other Free agency news

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Asante Samuel signs..Couglin extention..Other Free agency news

ESPN.com reports the New York Giants offered head coach Tom Coughlin a four-year, $21 million extension, according to the New York Daily News. The two sides must work out minor details and an official agreement could be announced next week. Coughlin will receive an average of $5.25 million per year, which will put him below only Seattle Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren and New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick. Coughlin was scheduled to make $3.5 million in 2008, but his old contract will be discarded for the new extension.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Man, he did just win a superbowl, but I wouldn't pay him anywhere near that much. He needs to be a-lot more consistent to get that big of a pay raise.

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked

Free-Agents: The latest buzz

by Alex Marvez
    It's a three-team race for Pittsburgh guard Alan Faneca. FOXSports.com has learned that Faneca is receiving strong interest from San Francisco, St. Louis and the New York Jets. Faneca doesn't plan on making any free-agent visits while mulling impending contract offers but hopes to make a decision between those squads within the next 48 hours.

All three suitors are desperate for offensive line help.

Considered the NFL's top free-agent offensive lineman, Faneca has gotten named to seven consecutive Pro Bowls. But because of his age (31) and the high salary he is commanding, Faneca will not be re-signed by the Steelers.

Chris Kemoeatu is expected to replace Faneca as Pittsburgh's starting left guard provided he is re-signed as a restricted free agent.

Vikings off and running
    Expected to take a plunge into free agency, the Minnesota Vikings aren't disappointing.

FOXSports.com has confirmed reports that Chicago wide receiver Bernard Berrian and Cincinnati defensive end Justin Smith are drawing strong interest. The Vikings hope to visit with both players today.

Signing Berrian and Smith would address two Vikings needs. Minnesota is lacking a veteran wideout to pair with quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, while Smith would fill the void created when starting end Kenechi Udeze was recently diagnosed with leukemia.

Name recognition
    Two of the biggest names in free agency are already set for free-agent visits.
    FOXSports.com has learned Oakland wide receiver Jerry Porter is set to visit with Jacksonville and may already have reached agreement on a contract. Also, a source said Philadelphia is set to host New England cornerback Asante Samuel on a free-agent visit.

Quarterbacks on the move
    Starting for a 1-15 team in 2007 didn't temper interest in Miami quarterback Cleo Lemon.

FOXSports.com has learned that Lemon is taking a free-agent visit Friday to Jacksonville.

Lemon would serve as the backup to David Garrard, who is entering the final year of his contract. Quinn Gray, who was Jacksonville's second-string quarterback in 2007, is not expected to return as an unrestricted free agent.

Gray could draw interest from Minnesota, which is seeking a veteran quarterback to potentially push Tarvaris Jackson for a starting spot.

Lemon garnered the most extensive playing time of his four-year NFL career in 2007. He started seven games, posting a 1-6 record, and appeared in two others.

Packers staying in the division?

FOXSports.com has learned Detroit defensive end Corey Smith is tentatively scheduled for a Monday free-agent visit with Green Bay. A seven-year NFL veteran, Smith saw action in 16 games last season with two starts.

Also, Adam Caplan of scout.com has reported that Oakland defensive end Tyler Brayton has a visit set with Carolina. Caplan says Oakland unsuccessfully tried to re-sign Brayton before the start of the free-agent signing period.

Staying put
    FOXSports.com has learned Cleveland has re-signed safety Nick Sorensen to a three-year, $2.5 million contract. A special teams ace, Sorensen played half the 2007 season with the Browns following his release by Jacksonville.

Jonathan Vilma
    FOXSports.com reported early Friday morning that the New Orleans Saints have acquired Vilma, who played in nine games - collecting 43 tackles and an interception - for the Jets before knee surgery cut his 2007 season short.

The web site reported that the Jets will receive a conditional draft pick from New Orleans based on Vilma’s playing time.

The Daily News is also reporting that the conditional pick may be used to acquire defensive tackle Kris Jenkins from the Carolina Panthers. The three-time Pro Bowler would improve a defensive line which finished 29th against the run last season.

Latest news published
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 02-29-2008 at 09:32 AM.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Good move by Vilma, he'll be back in a 4-3 defense.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Pro Bowl #2 and Counting JoeThomas's Avatar
    glad we got the guy from the pack, good move, well needed, but now we have no draft haha. GO BROWNS!!!!

And now you can add Anderson to the list of Free Agents...wonder where he will go!!??

Pro Bowl #2 and Counting JoeThomas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucsfan4ever View Post
    And now you can add Anderson to the list of Free Agents...wonder where he will go!!??
    it doesnt matter, just that he goes now, we need to get draft pics back and turn it over to brady!!! i was a DA fan till he turned down this last offer, he had it made, and woulda been 27 at the worst when he would be an FA.

They know DA will be free agent that is the only reason they would give up the second round pick. This is huge for us because we will be back in the drafts first and third rounds. GO BROWNS!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Asante Samuel signs.....

The Philadelphia Eagles are expected to sign cornerback Asante Samuel, according to several reports.
    The deal is expected to be worth $47.2 million over five years, ESPN reports. Samuel had been seeking a deal worth at least $10 million a year.
    The New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Buccaneers also were rumored to be chasing Samuel. The Pro Bowler had 44 tackles and six interceptions last season with the Patriots -- one for a touchdown.
    Samuel was visiting the Eagles' practice facility on Friday. The deal reportedly was pending Samuel passing a physical.

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Samuel is a me first, arrogant assjack but the guy can cover well and it's no surprise he commanded a big deal.

Thread Information