Thread: Finally! A mock that I like

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Finally! A mock that I like

Steuber's 2008 NFL Mock Draft
    NFL Draft Analyst
    Posted Feb 26, 2008

Now that the All-Star games and the Scouting Combine are behind us the draft picture is starting to get a little clearer. Scout.com's NFL Draft Analyst Chris Steuber updates his first-round projections and has a few surprises in his top ten.

With the All-Star games and Scouting Combine behind us, it’s time to get serious and intensify the predictions. A lot of players impressed scouts and NFL personnel at the Combine and have really improved their stock.

The No. 1 and 2 selections in my mock draft have stayed the same, while there has been a bit of a shakeup in the top ten. A top prospect has gone from No. 3 to No. 9, and I projected two quarterbacks and two cornerbacks being selected in the top ten.

This year’s draft features over 50 underclassmen, and I project 14 of them to be selected in the first round. There are 31 picks in the first round this year, due to the Patriots forfeiting their own selection in light of the Spygate scandal.

My current mock draft also features 16 offensive players versus 15 defensive players being taking in round one. I project the most popular position in the first round to be defensive end.
    If you have any questions about my mock draft, email me by clicking on this link.

(1 - 15)
      DE
      Chris Long
      Virginia
      Sr.
      6-3
      The Dolphins will look to trade this pick at all costs. This is a draft that doesn't possess a sure No. 1 overall pick, and this will prompt Parcells and Co. to look to secure more picks throughout the draft. But, if the Dolphins are unable to unload the selection, Virginia's Chris Long makes sense and gives Miami a high motor guy with great character.
      (3 - 13)
      OT
      Jake Long
      Michigan
      Sr.
      6-7
      The Rams will decide between Jake Long and Sedrick Ellis at this pick. Glenn Dorsey is falling out of favor with his injury history, and not participating in any All-Star games or the Combine has hurt his stock. St. Louis' inability to protect Marc Bulger was a major problem last year, and even though Orlando Pace will return to the team, it's unknown how much longer he will play. The safe pick for the Rams is Long.
      (4 - 12)
      RB
      Darren McFadden
      Arkansas
      Jr.
      6-1
      The Falcons won the coin toss for the right to select third overall, and they have a lot of options at this pick. Atlanta could entertain offers for this selection and move down, especially with Darren McFadden and Matt Ryan on the board. Also, Sedrick Ellis and Vernon Gholston are gaining a lot of publicity. But in the end, whoever is selecting third overall, McFadden is too good to pass up.
      (4 - 12)
      DT
      Sedrick Ellis
      USC
      Sr.
      6-0
      The Raiders will decide between Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis. Ellis has really elevated his draft stock since the end of the season. He's shown that even though he's short, he still has the ability to dominate inside, and in reality, his height actually helps him play with great leverage. Dorsey's intriguing, but Ellis is the pick.
      (4 - 12)
      QB
      Matt Ryan
      Boston College
      Sr.
      6-4
      Personally, I don't think Matt Ryan is the best QB in the draft. I believe Brian Brohm is the best and safest QB selection in the draft. With that said, the Chiefs front office has strong ties to the Philadelphia and Northeast region and have studied Ryan's game significantly. Kansas City has other needs and could grab Dorsey at this pick, but Ryan is favored by the front office and will give incumbent QB Brodie Croyle competition.
      (4 - 12)
      DE
      Vernon Gholston
      Ohio State
      Jr.
      6-3
      The Jets have a need for a quality pass rusher who can disrupt a game by pressuring the QB. Ohio State's Vernon Gholston is a physical freak who can line up at OLB or DE in the 3 - 4 and will add a lot of versatility to the Jets defense.
      from 49ers (5 - 11)
      CB
      Aqib Talib
      Kansas
      Jr.
      6-1
      This will be an interesting selection for the Patriots. New England has to add youth to their linebacker core and add depth to their secondary. The Pats could reach for USC's Keith Rivers at this pick or draft Leodis McKelvin or Aqib Talib. With Talib's size, speed and playmaking ability, the Pats get a quality corner who can start immediately.
      (5 - 11)
      QB
      Brian Brohm
      Louisville
      Sr.
      6-3
      The Ravens have to identify a franchise quarterback and add some stability behind center. New Head Coach John Harbaugh, who comes from Philadelphia, understands the importance of having a franchise QB. With Matt Ryan off the board, the Ravens luck out and grab the draft’s best QB Brian Brohm.
      (7 - 9)
      DT
      Glenn Dorsey
      LSU
      Sr.
      6-1
      The Bengals desperately need help on defense, especially on the defensive line. Glenn Dorsey ends up being this year's prospect who falls in the draft and ultimately gives the Bengals what they need inside.
      (7 - 9)
      CB
      Leodis McKelvin
      Troy
      Sr.
      5-10
      The Saints need help in the secondary. They need a playmaker who can turn defense into offense, and that player is Aqib Talib. But the Saints could also use a return man who can give the offense great field position, and that's Leodis McKelvin. It's a tough choice, but in the end, the pick will be McKelvin.
      (7 - 9)
      WR
      Malcolm Kelly
      Oklahoma
      Jr.
      6-4
      Outside of Lee Evans, the Bills don't have a big-play threat at the receiver position. Buffalo finished the season with the third-worst passing offense in the league. The Bills have a young starting quarterback in Trent Edwards, so supplying him with a player of Malcolm Kelly's abilities will help the Buffalo offense.
      (7 - 9)
      OT
      Ryan Clady
      Boise State
      Jr.
      6-6
      Any time a team is grooming a young quarterback, it's important to give him the best possible protection to be successful. The Broncos have done a good job with Jay Cutler, but giving him a quality tackle to grow with makes sense. Ryan Clady, a junior from the Boise State Broncos, is a solid pick.
      (7 - 9)
      DE
      Derrick Harvey
      Florida
      Jr.
      6-4
      The Panthers have a few areas that they'd like to address in the draft: quarterback, defensive line and offensive line. The most pressing need is on the defensive line, and adding Derrick Harvey should help Julius Peppers rebound from a disappointing season.
      (7 - 9)
      RB
      Rashard Mendenhall
      Illinois
      Jr.
      5-10
      The Bears may look to upgrade their offensive line at this selection, but they should wait until the second or third round. Quarterback is another need for the Bears, and that's another area they will address later in the draft. But with concerns surrounding Cedric Benson, the Bears decide to draft a local product with tremendous upside, Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall.
      (7 - 9)
      CB
      Mike Jenkins
      South Florida
      Sr.
      5-11
      The Lions are another team that has struggled in the secondary this season. They finished 31st in the league in passing yards allowed (258 YPG) and need a playmaker who can challenge the opposition. Adding a classic cover corner in Mike Jenkins to the secondary is what the Lions need.
      (8 - 8)
      OLB
      Keith Rivers
      USC
      Sr.
      6-2
      The Cardinals are building a solid foundation on defense. In order for that to continue, They have to add playmakers. USC LB Keith Rivers offers versatility and an attacking style that fits well into Arizona's defensive scheme.
      (8 - 8)
      DE
      Calais Campbell
      Miami
      Jr.
      6-8
      Adding a receiver makes sense for the Vikings, but improving their pass rush is a priority. Miami DE Calais Campbell is an imposing force who should make an immediate impact.
      (8 - 8)
      RB
      Jonathan Stewart
      Oregon
      Jr.
      5-10
      The Texans were one of twelve teams that finished the season averaging less than 100 yards a game, and for Houston to compete in their division, they have to have an effective rushing attack. Oregon's Jonathan Stewart is the best RB on the board, and he adds a physical presence in the running game on a Texans team that faces a tough AFC South.
      (8 - 8)
      DE
      Lawrence Jackson
      USC
      Sr.
      6-4
      The Eagles will look to upgrade their secondary or defensive line with this pick. South Florida's Mike Jenkins is available and the Eagles will consider him, but in the end they know they have to add another DE. USC's Lawrence Jackson is a complete DE who can rush the passer and defend the run. The Eagles go with Jackson.
      (9 - 7)
      WR
      DeSean Jackson
      California
      Jr.
      5-9
      The Buccaneers have to address the receiver position with this pick, and it's possible that they look to add a cornerback. Cal's DeSean Jackson measured in at a disappointing 5-9, 169 pounds, but he ran a mid-4.3 in the 40. His speed is a valuable weapon that will allow the Bucs to overlook his size.
      (9 - 7)
      FS
      Kenny Phillips
      Miami
      Jr.
      6-2
      The death of Sean Taylor sent shockwaves through the NFL and has left a big hole in the secondary. The plan was to pair last year's first round pick LaRon Landry with Taylor to give the Redskins the best safety tandem in the league, but the plan is no longer valid. From one plan to the next, the Skins decide to draft another former Hurricane to replace Taylor, FS Kenny Phillips.
      from Browns (10 - 6
      WR
      Limas Sweed
      Texas
      Sr.
      6-4
      The Cowboys are a team that will be interested to move up in the draft in hopes of selecting Arkansas' Darren McFadden. But if the Cowboys are unable to move up, they will address the offensive side of the ball in the first round. With this pick, the Cowboys add a young receiver in Limas Sweed to go along with veterans on the roster.
      (10 - 6)
      OT
      Chris Williams
      Vanderbilt
      Sr.
      6-6
      The Steelers are solid all around, but giving Ben Roethlisberger more protection up front is key to their success. Pittsburgh's Jeff Otah is a possibility, but after a disappointing workout at the Combine, Otah will slip into the second round. However, Vandy's Chris Williams is rising up the charts and is a quality selection for the Steelers.
      (10 - 6)
      WR
      James Hardy
      Indiana
      Jr.
      6-5
      If the Titans want to see if Vince Young can become a quality passer at the NFL level, they have to give him a go-to-guy that he can grow with. DeSean Jackson, Mario Mannigham, James Hardy and Early Doucet are all intriguing names. But Hardy's size and playmaking ability are too much to pass on at this selection.
      (10 - 6)
      TE
      Dustin Keller
      Purdue
      Sr.
      6-3
      The Seahawks haven't drafted a tight end since 2002, and that was used on Jerramy Stevens in the first round. Stevens was a major disappointment and never lived up to his potential. USC's Fred Davis is a possibility and is considered the best TE in the draft, but Purdue's Dustin Keller showed scouts his skills and athleticism at the Combine and has been the most consistent tight end in college football over the last two seasons.
      (11 - 5)
      DE
      Quentin Groves
      Auburn
      Sr.
      6-3
      The Jaguars could look to add a wide receiver at this selection, but adding a pass rusher who can get in the backfield and create havoc will give the defensive line much needed explosion. Auburn's Quentin Groves is the pick.
      (11 - 5)
      RB
      Chris Johnson
      East Carolina
      Sr.
      5-11
      The Chargers are in a situation to draft the best available player, and they can go in many directions. But the one direction they should go in is adding a running back. LaDainian Tomlinson is still the best in the business, but how many more years will he play at a top level? Also, Michael Turner is a free agent and won't return. East Carolina's Chris Johnson displayed mind-blowing speed at the Combine and has raced his way into the first round.
      (13 - 3)
      RB
      Felix Jones
      Arkansas
      Jr.
      5-10
      The Cowboys got a young receiver with their first pick and will now look to add a running back with this selection. Jerry Jones wanted Darren McFadden, but he will settle for McFadden's backfield mate Felix Jones.
      from Colts (13 - 3)
      WR
      Devin Thomas
      Michigan State
      Jr.
      6-2
      The Niners need serious help. Their offense is horrendous. Their defense is disappointing. And it looks like there's no hope. The one thing San Francisco can do is give Alex Smith a deep threat who can make plays down field. With Sweed and Hardy off the board, Michigan State's Devin Thomas is the best big bodied, deep threat available.
      (13 - 3)
      CB
      Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
      Tennessee State
      Sr.
      6-1
      The Packers are in a position to draft the best available player as well, although they have some depth and age issues at certain positions. The secondary isn't getting any younger, and adding youth that can learn from Charles Woodson and Al Harris will benefit the Packers in the future. Cromartie's rise lands him with the Packers.
      PATRIOTS SELECTION FORFEITED - (16 - 0)

(10 - 6)
      OLB
      Dan Connor
      Penn State
      Sr.
      6-3

The Super Bowl Champions, the New York Giants, played very well on defense this year, but they have some concerns at linebacker. Penn State's Dan Connor is an excellent choice at this pick and gives the Giants a future star on the weak side.

Finally someone with the intelligence to see things the way I do!

I think this is a more realistic draft scenario. I do not think that there will be a firesale on O-lineman in the first round. Because there is so much talent there this year I believe that spreads things out more and will allow teams to still get a quality lineman in the 3rd and 4th rounds. O-lineman are not very sexy picks in the first round and lots of teams tend to go after the skilled positions in the first. I doubt that more than 4 O-lineman are picked in the first round and that number might be high. Keep in mind that 4out of 32 is 12.5 %, 5 would be 15%. Going back through past drafts 2 to 3 is the norm for O-lineman in the first round. That gives us a fair shot at just about everybody except Jake Long from Michigan.
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-27-2008 at 05:33 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Any mock that has the Steelers picking Chris Williams or Brandon Albert in the first is one that I like....Or a badass DL....Balmer would be the only one worth taking when the Steelers pick and he probably won't be there either...I don't think the DL from Clemson will be there either....

Gold Standard

Order of Precedense

1. Jake Long - No chance
    2. Chris Williams - We have a legit shot at him
    3. Branden Albert - Definitely have a shot at this guy
    4. Ryan Clady - My fourth choice but many peoples #2 OT

I do not believe that all 4 of these guys are gone before the 23rd pick. 2 at most. Long will be gone and either Clady or Williams will be gone. I think we will have to choose between 2 of these guys and I could live with whatever decision was made. I would be happy with any of these 4 guys in the first.

If we go DE I still like Philip Merling from Clemson. There are a lot of scouting reports out there saying this guy is better than Gaines Adams who was the fourth overall pick last year.

One player that has intriguing ability and is still developing is Clemson junior defensive end Phillip Merling. At 6-foot-5, 280-pounds, Merling is a tremendous run defender who makes plays in the backfield. He's quick off the snap, plays with leverage, and alters the opposition's offensive direction. He uses his hands effectively and has good range in pursuit. He has great balance, rarely gets knocked off his feet, and is fast off the edge. He's a durable defender who has started every game the last two seasons. Playing in all 12 games this season, Merling recorded 73 tackles (50 solo, 23 assisted), 16 for a loss and 6.5 sacks. If Merling declares for the draft, he'll receive Day One consideration and is a probable second-round selection.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

willaims, albert, cherilus....thats it when it comes to oline in the first round for us

I still am not sold on Albert

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    2. Chris Williams - We have a legit shot at him
    3. Branden Albert - Definitely have a shot at this guy
    4. Ryan Clady - My fourth choice but many peoples #2 OT
    We would be golden with any of those picks in the first round. I wouldn't be surprised though if they think Otah is available in the 2nd round that they may consider him and go Albert in the first round. Im NOT saying I would want Otah over Williams or Albert or Clady but a lot of teams are still high on Otah so they may wait on OT till round 2 depending on how things pan out.

Thread Information