Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers may not take offensive lineman in first round

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_554101.html
    By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, February 25, 2008

Here's how the NFL Scouting Combine impacted who the Steelers selected with their first-round pick in the 2007 draft.

The Steelers got their man -- linebacker Lawrence Timmons -- even though Timmons didn't run particularly fast at the Combine (4.66 seconds in the 40-yard dash), and he measured about 2 inches shorter than his listed height of 6-foot-3.

Timmons already was on the Steelers' radar. Short of breaking his leg at the Combine, he was home free.

This year, everyone believes the Steelers will take an offensive lineman with their first-round pick (No. 23 overall). Makes sense.

The Steelers are going to lose Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca to free agency.

They're unsettled at tackle, with veteran Marvel Smith recovering from back surgery and entering the final year of his contract, and Max Starks is being made a transition player as an insurance policy for Smith.

By most accounts, Sean Mahan was a disappointment in his first year as a starting center.

Call it a hunch, but expect the Steelers to do the unexpected with their first-round pick.

So, what else is new?

There's NFL logic, and then there's Steelers' logic.

Regarding the draft and free agency, the Steelers make their own rules.

Maybe it was director of football operations Kevin Colbert calling this year's draft the best he's seen for offensive tackles in more than two decades. Translation: Good tackles will be available after the first round.

Maybe it was the Steelers going against the grain and overlooking Timmons' faults and still taking him in the first round a year ago.

Maybe it was Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin going out of their way not to mention Timmons' name prior to last year's draft.

Maybe it was the explanation Colbert gave for the Steelers designating Starks as their transition player, instead of giving him the more traditional franchise tag.

"The (financial) difference was roughly $560,000, which if you translate, that could be two minimum salary players," Colbert said.

The Steelers don't waste money, and they don't waste draft picks.

So, in a draft deep with tackles, why not select a tackle in the second round? Why not address another need -- aging defensive line -- in the first round?

Defensive line prospects aren't as plentiful, so taking one in the first round doesn't seem far-fetched.

As for who the Steelers will draft in the first round, that's for another column.

Just know that the Steelers already know who they want to draft in the first round, and that his performance at the Combine won't change the Steelers' opinion about him.

The Steelers are usually pretty good at not tipping their hat on who they are going after especially in the early rounds. They love to send up smoke screens or just stay tight lipped and keep everybody guessing until it's their time to pick. No problem there, it's good draft strategy to keep people guessing and Im sure the team knows full well who they want in the 1st round and who their other options are if that player is taken.

So help me God if this team goes anything other than OL or DL in the first round Im going to throw a fit..I mean comon how much more obvious does it have to be here...drafting well is a science but it doesn't take a rocket one to realize where the needs are on this team plain and simple and it starts up front on both sides.

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    You could have waited till wednesday or thursday to bring this story out Matt, way to start off the week

I agree with you, thou I am sure they have been doing their homework and feel they have that quality OL player availble to them with the 2nd or 3rd pick even. Of coure time will tell, and if anything we will all be at Heinz Field during the draft party

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVA STEELERS View Post
    You could have waited till wednesday or thursday to bring this story out Matt, way to start off the week

I agree with you, thou I am sure they have been doing their homework and feel they have that quality OL player availble to them with the 2nd or 3rd pick even. Of coure time will tell, and if anything we will all be at Heinz Field during the draft party
    They may want to beef up security if they choose somebody the fans don't like

Really though it's hard to find fault in most of our day 1 picks the majority of the time because we usually find guys that are ready to go and work out very well...but man if there was ever a year to do what everybody is thinking and knowing what you need to do, it's this year.

I wont be pissed if they draft a dlineman in the first, but he damn well better be a ****ing badass and quick

I would be a lil upset cause who ever we get (most likely) wont be a starter... then the rest of our draft gonna be OL!!! If we go OL first, we can get a capable backup later in the draft at DL!!! just my .02!!!! If we could get a STUD at DL then it would be worth it... but i really want a OL!!!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    We can get a good OL with our #2 pick, we need a DE more then we need a OLineman. IMO Actually, its a toss up who we take in the 1st between DE and OL, depending on who is there when we get to #23. Its going to be interesting, thats for sure.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    The Steelers don't waste money, and they don't waste draft picks.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    I hate drafting an OL in the first boring pick!
    I love drafting an OL in the first safe solid pick!

As much as its boring its needed

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Tailgate Coordinator
    I guess if it is as deep as he says it is, I can live with it. As long as we don't draft a TE or some other not needed position.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    I guess if it is as deep as he says it is, I can live with it. As long as we don't draft a TE or some other not needed position.
    I think if we draft a TE in the first round the Steeler Nation will revolt against Tomlin

Depending on what kind of action Starks gets in the market if we don't sign him to a long term deal before the draft; that could do a long way to helping determine a course of action for our 1st pick. Depth is needed everywhere but the interior lines is where the needs are the biggest for sure.

Thread Information