Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Uniform Colors

Bookmark and Share

Steelers Uniform Colors

That Uni Got a Hemi?
    The Steelers’ uniforms are about getting the job done

By Kara Yorio White with black numbers and gold letters. Or black with white numbers and gold letters and stripes on the sleeves. They are classics. They are timeless. They are intimidating. They shout success. They are instantly recognizable. They are the uniforms of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

You can see it, flying through the air. It’s the jersey of Mean Joe Greene.

“Hey kid.”

“Wow, thanks Mean Joe.”

The ultimate gift, a Steelers jersey tossed through the air as a thank-you for a Coke in that classic commercial. Who wouldn’t want one of the coolest jerseys in the NFL? While uniforms get turned into fashion — colors get changed, styles mutated — there are only two ways the Steelers jerseys work — in black or white.

The Steelers are a working-class team in a working-class town. There is right or wrong. Good guys and bad guys. There is black or white. And there is the gold. The ultimate color of success, the richest color of them all. It all works for the Steelers’ players and fans. It’s a uniform that is about getting the job done.

And let’s talk about the helmets for a minute.

Originally the Steelers had numbers on the sides of their helmets. There was no logo. But in 1962, it was suggested that the Steelers use the logo of U.S. Steel Corp. They put it on and never took it off. But, you’ve undoubtedly noticed, they only put it on one side.

As a matter of fact, the Steelers are the only NFL team to have their logo on only one side of their helmets. It started that way because the organization wasn’t sure it was going to like the look of the logo on its all-gold helmets. The team wanted to give it a test before wasting the time, effort and money of putting the logo on both sides.

That year, 1962, the Steelers went 9-5 and became the winningest team in franchise history to that point. They qualified for the playoffs for the first time and wanted to commemorate that first postseason game with something special, so they changed their helmets from gold to black. That made the logo look even better. With the success of the team and the positive feedback over the look, the helmet design never changed. Black. Logo on one side.
    http://cadillacof.msn.com/foxsports/...705.........GO TO FOX SPORTS AND VOTE FOR OUR TEAM COLORS AS CADILLAC OF UNIFORMS.....
    It’s an integral part of the whole package. The ultimate accessory to the ultimate uniform of success and intimidation — the Cadillac of NFL uniforms.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Their uniforms are timeless that much is for certain. The famous black & gold colors are instantly recognizable but virtually anyone regardless of whether they follow sports or not. I would still like to see an alternative 3rd uniform put in on a regular basis for big games and what not but I don't know that we'll ever see it.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I would like to see the block numbers come back

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    I agree 100% loved those Jerseys

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVA STEELERS View Post
    I agree 100% loved those Jerseys

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Tailgate Coordinator

Same here! Block numbers were great!

I'm A "Champion"

Besides block lettering, there are only two other legitimate ways to stylize a Steelers jersey:

1: Weld/Rivet it together (sewing stitches is for quilting anyway)
    2: Add diamond-plate accents (that or stainless steel)

There only thing more intimidating than the Steelers jersey are the men that wear them.

BuFu

Quote Originally Posted by Hburg View Post
    Besides block lettering, there are only two other legitimate ways to stylize a Steelers jersey:

1: Weld/Rivet it together (sewing stitches is for quilting anyway)
    2: Add diamond-plate accents (that or stainless steel)

There only thing more intimidating than the Steelers jersey are the men that wear them.

BuFu
    Although that would look really cool, like it does on the Oregon players, I doubt it would get passed. That just sounds too flashy for the Steelers.

YUP YUP! THOSE WERE AWESOME... just another chapter in the best unis on the gridiron...joe lunchbox..blue collar...no glitz...no glam...
    really enjoyed the article also ,flea...thanks...voted also...only one vote count?? i clicked loke a dozen tomes...(i's are now o's , i guess)...
    neat site....did we miss the qb vote?
    Last edited by GoBenGo; 02-25-2008 at 08:10 PM.
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

the block numbers rule! bring em back!
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Thread Information