Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Reid awaits chance to return punts

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06271/725690-66.stm

"A lot of people think it's a scary job, but I like it a lot."

Thursday, September 28, 2006
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Willie Reid does not like the job of returning punts. He loves it. Whether he gets to pursue his desire depends on the other party, in this case coach Bill Cowher.

"There will be some changes," Cowher declared after the Steelers practiced for the first of two days during their off week. "I am not ready to announce any of them now. We have a whole week to see what our options are and assess it from there."

He did not have to announce that cornerback Ricardo Colclough no longer will return punts. That's assumed. Rookies Reid and Santonio Holmes, along with veteran Cedrick Wilson are the candidates to replace him. All are receivers.

Cowher acknowledged that in the preseason he felt Reid, who owns the Florida State punt-return record with a 15.4-yard average, would be his punt returner. The problem is that if he uses Reid, he either must be among his top four receivers or he must dress five, plus special-teamer Sean Morey. The top four receivers through the first three games are Hines Ward, Wilson, Nate Washington and Holmes.

"The difficulties again are the makeup of the roster on game day," Cowher said. "You can easily sit there and say you want this and this, but it's not always easy to do. I'm doing what I think is in the best interest of the team and I will make those decisions accordingly. If I think that will help us dramatically, then I will make that decision. Again, it comes down to a coach's decision, and those are things I have to make week to week."

Reid said he understands that, but he would love a crack at the return job.

"A lot of people think it's a scary job, but I like it a lot. You have to have courage, you have to have awareness. If you've been doing it for awhile, it's not as scary as people make it out to be. It's something I enjoy doing, something I think is real fun."

Penn State saw just how much fun he had in the Orange Bowl with 180 yards of punt returns, including a touchdown.

He returned 10 punts for 88 yards in the preseason, seven more than anyone else. He, like Cowher, thought he would return punts in the regular season.

"I had a good little feel I was going to be that guy," Reid said. "But it's a numbers game. Whenever the coaches call and whenever they get ready for me to play, I'll be there."

Reid said Colclough, "just had a bad game. If you're a punt returner, you're in the limelight. If you mess up one time like that, a lot of people see it. It's a mistake he made that I'm sure he won't make it again if he gets the opportunity."

He knows this a business and if someone isn't performing up to par, another's chance will come. You can tell he's chomping at the bit to get in there. I can't wait to see him !

Well that's one of the main reasons we brought him to the Steelers...why not let him do it.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

My Mood
    Addicted
    I say let him do it! Find a spot for him somewhere. Sit Davenport and Staley if they don't plan on playing them and bring Reid on!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    if willie is not returning punts within the next few weeks every post i post will say cowher is a fag that needs to be fired for being stuck on stupid lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

10 returns for 88 yards in the preseason.... HELLO <<knocking on Cowhers head>> ANYBODY HOME IN THERE!!!! The dude averaged 8 yards a return, why the hell hasn't he been in there from the begining. What is the team averaging all together 3.1 yards per return for a next to last ranking!!! If Cowher doesn't get Reid in there soon, he's going to have a coup on his hands!

My Mood
    Addicted
    And koopa will lead it!.......lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    And those stats we're behind alot of backups on special teams, image what he'll be able to do when he's returning kicks with the first unit on special teams.

House of Steel
    I can see Reid becoming a lot like Dante Hall did in Kansas City in the one season. I could see him getting us maybe 2 to 3 TDs on Special Teams.

COWHER, YOU BONEHEADED FOOL, PUT HIM IN THERE!!!

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I'm glad that some of us here don't work in the FO. I'm sure if they thought Reid could come in and do better, He would be in there. Cowher and the Coaches spend alot more time with Reid than anyone here does. so I think it would be best to be patient and not ask for something that could turn out to be a bigger risk than what we already have. just my
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    I'm glad that some of us here don't work in the FO. I'm sure if they thought Reid could come in and do better, He would be in there. Cowher and the Coaches spend alot more time with Reid than anyone here does. so I think it would be best to be patient and not ask for something that could turn out to be a bigger risk than what we already have. just my
    Are you saying that Cowher and the FO have never made a mistake?

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Thread Information