Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 NFL Combine updates:OL, TE and K

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

2008 NFL Combine updates:OL, TE and K

The interviews and weigh ins started on Thursday but today is when they.....GET IT ON!!!!! So whoever is watching, feel free to post updates, thoughts and critiques.

Sat. 23 Feb 2008: OL, TE and K
    They're doing the OL 40 yard dash, which to me doesn't make any sense. They do have the 10 yard split which shows the true burst of a OL. They're also doing the 3 cone drills for OL, which is supposed to show control, pulling and blocking down skills (Bullshit!!), game tapes and one on one drills IMO is where its at. They were talking about Schuening OG from Oregon St. he was a wrestler and has a nasty attitude.
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 02-24-2008 at 10:22 AM.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Some numbers so far:

Bench Press (225 lbs)

OL
    Jake Long (37)
    Jeremy Zuttah (35)
    Kirk Barton (34)
    Mike Gibson (31)
    Carl Nicks (31)
    Brandon Keith (31)
    John Greco (30)
    Mike McGlynn (30)
    Shawn Murphy (29)
    Chris McDuffie (29)
    Mike Pollack (29)
    Otah (24)
    Williams (21)

TE
    Craig Stevens (27)
    Dustin Keller (26)
    Brad Cottam (24)
    Fred Davis (24)
    Derek Fine (24)
    Kolo Kapanui (23)
    Gary Barnidge (22)
    Kellen Davis (22)
    Adam Bishops (21)

Last edited by DIESELMAN; 02-23-2008 at 12:57 PM.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Dude, Long is a freak! Wish we had some kinds chance to get him. Williams looks damn good, too... Just Long is a freak Otah, not too strong....
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    Chris Williams looked great in the Mirror drill.
    Mayock said Otah is too tall, needs to bend the knees so he can get leverage...
    Last edited by MDSteel15; 02-23-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

llike to see haynos show well...terp...

williams a paultry 21 reps...i expected more
    ..they said that run blocking is most affected by upper-body strength...hmmm
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    Dude, Long is a freak! Wish we had some kinds chance to get him. Williams looks damn good, too... Just Long is a freak Otah, not too strong....
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    Chris Williams looked great in the Mirror drill.
    Mayock said Otah is too tall, needs to bend the knees so he can get leverage...
    Got that right...........

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

Dammit,,,,,,,,, First year in awhile,that I had too miss the combine

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBenGo View Post
    llike to see haynos show well...terp...

williams a paultry 21 reps...i expected more
    ..they said that run blocking is most affected by upper-body strength...hmmm
    Williams started struggling at 15 reps, then only got 6 more lol. I seen the weigh ins and Otah, Williams and Clady looked fat. Long and Albert looked solid and stout.

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

the bench press is overrated, its not a great judge because its hard to bench when your on the spot, these are just workouts and nothing more. Jared Allen got 13 reps and brady quinn got 25.....come on now lol

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Reps don't mean anything. They even said when they were doing the other excercises that Williams had great technique and that is where he excells over the other linemen. Definately want him over Otah.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    The bench press is over rated to a degree, it still shows the need for improving on upper body strength. The most over rated event for a OL, is the 40 yard dash, they do record the 10 yard split which is good but after that first 10 yards it useless. Not trying to bash Williams Kyle, hes a good lineman and I hope we make a run at him, theres always room for improvement, for anyone.

Chris Williams: His 21 reps on the bench could raise a few eyebrows but don't expect it to hurt him. It's no secret that Williams needs to hit the weights, especially to improve his upper-body power, and he can improve in that area if he dedicates himself to the cause. He overcomes that below-average strength, though, by using excellent technique and positioning along with good natural mobility. Williams showed great footwork during drills and gets excellent hand placement. So while he won't really jar defenders at the point of contact Williams is able to lock on and then sustain his blocks.
    Jeff Otah: He did not look smooth during individual drills and his 40-yard dash time of 5.56 seconds ranked among the worst of the linemen that ran. However, it must be noted that a high left ankle sprain is limiting his mobility. Otah is still unpolished and needs to do a better job of playing with leverage, but NFL teams aren't going to downgrade the massive right tackle prospect after he tried to tough it out during Saturday’s workout. He still projects as one of the top five tackle prospects in this class, which should land him a spot in the first round.
    Carl Nicks: The Nebraska OT may be a notch below the elite tackle prospects like Long, Williams and Ryan Clady, but Nicks is making a strong case as a possible second-round pick. Nicks has a massive 341-pound frame but still turned in a 5.01-second 40 time, showing excellent range for his size in the process. In addition, he benched pressed the standard 225 pounds an impressive 31 times
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 02-24-2008 at 10:12 AM.

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

Thread Information