Thread: Latest Around the NFL...

Bookmark and Share
    Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked

Committee plan could signal end of spying

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
    February 18, 2008

While the Spygate scandal continues to be investigated by the NFL, the league's competition committee will again consider a measure that would prevent such an affair from ever recurring.

Members of the committee, including co-chairmen Rich McKay of Atlanta and Jeff Fisher of Tennessee, were scheduled to begin meeting Monday in Indianapolis. Among the measures the committee will consider is a coach-to-player radio system for the defense, eliminating the need for plays to be signaled from the sideline.

This is not the first time the committee will have considered the system. In each of the previous two years, the league recommended the plan to the owners for vote in Mar ch, but the measure failed to gain enough support.

However, after the New England Patriots were fined and penalized early in the 2007 season for recording the signals of other teams, the radio system for the defense is expected to pass.

"I'd be surprised if the league didn't pass it after everything we've gone through this year," a league source said. "Let's just get rid of the temptation once and for all."

The radio system would be similar to the coach-to-quarterback radio the offense is currently allowed to use. The hold up in past years is that because the defense doesn't have a quarterback, or any single player to designate in all situations, the belief is that more than one defensive player would have to have a radio headset to make the system work effectively.

Owners were hesitant to allow more than one defender to hear signals at one time. The league believes that it can solve that problem technically.

More important, the league wants to avoid the embarrassment it has suffered in the wake of what happened to New England. The Patriots were caught taping an opposing team's defensive signals in the season opener this season against the New York Jets.

The Patriots were fined $250,000 and lost their first-round pick this year and coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 for his part in the violation of league rules.

Earlier this month at the Pro Bowl, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he felt the penalties imposed on the Patriots would be an adequate deterrent to other teams trying the same thing.

"We sent a very strong message to the rest of the league and I think the reaction we've gotten is that other teams don't want to take that chance," Goodell said.

Meanwhile, the league continues to investigate insinuations that the Patriots may have cheated at least one other time. It has been reported that the Patriots taped a walk-through practice by St. Louis the day before playing the Rams in the 2002 Super Bowl – a claim denied by Belichick and the Patriots Sunday. Furthermore, former Patriots employee Matt Walsh has hinted that he has information about the practices of the Patriots dating to that time.

Walsh's attorney, Michael Levy, told the Associated Press that Walsh has tapes. Levy and the NFL have exchanged proposals that would indemnify Walsh against a possible lawsuit by the Patriots. However, Walsh wants stronger language before coming forward.

what to think about this one

My Mood
    Wicked

Type-0 Personalities Rally Behind Belichick

Feb 19, 2008
    New England Patriots' head coach Bill Belichick yesterday broke his silence on the allegations of improper filming of opponents that marred the team's 2007-08 season, saying the last film of another football team he had seen was "Knute Rockne, All American."

Belichick: "That's an incredibly stupid question, but I'll try not to answer it anyway."

"In my entire coaching career, I've never seen another team's practice film, family vacation film, or wedding film," Belichick said to reporters who asked about allegations by former Patriots' video assistant Matt Walsh that he had videotaped several house pets belonging to St. Louis Rams' players prior to Super Bowl XXXVI, and sold the film to "America's Funniest Home Videos."

"I want you to go out there and win one for the Gipper so we'll have home-field advantage throughout the playoffs."

Belichick has been diagnosed with Type-0 personality disorder, a psychological condition he contracted while an assistant coach with the New York Jets. Type A personalities are high-achieving, impatient, and aggressive, Type B personalities are patient, relaxed, and easy-going, and Type-0 personalities have zero personality measured by either the Celsius or Fahrenheit scale.

MGH Center for the Study of Zero Personality Disorders

"A Type-0 personality is the sort of guy who will refuse to buy an expensive bouquet for his wife on Valentine's Day, then wonder why she gets upset when he tells her how much money they saved," says Dr. Philip Reif of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

"All you Type-0 personalities out there, be careful driving home tonight."

Efforts to increase awareness of the disease have been largely unsuccessful, because no comedian has been willing to adopt the cause as his own. "Type-0 personalities are a hazard on the roads late at night coming home from comedy clubs," says Mike McMahon, who does stand-up in the Boston area. "They usually don't 'get' jokes until an hour after last call."

My Mood
    Angry
    The radio system would be similar to the coach-to-quarterback radio the offense is currently allowed to use. The hold up in past years is that because the defense doesn't have a quarterback, or any single player to designate in all situations, the belief is that more than one defensive player would have to have a radio headset to make the system work effectively.
    I can see that since there are defensive substitutions in any one series of downs that having a radio in one or two players helmets could be a problem.

The league is geared for the Offense anyway so just let all the defensive players have a radio.

I think there is so much money in the NFL that no matter what they do, there will be someone who figures out how to cheat.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    and this stops me from mic'ing a d-line man and recording the snap count/audiubles how?

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

i personally don't see how belicheat's wife and kids can even stand his smug *** personality. he's such a douche bag.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
    i personally don't see how belicheat's wife and kids can even stand his smug *** personality. he's such a douche bag.
    Belichick ditched his wife for the "other" woman he was having an affair with.
    Go Figure!!

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    and this stops me from mic'ing a d-line man and recording the snap count/audiubles how?

I think the receivers are only wired for a specific amount of time in between plays and are automatically turned off once the huddle breaks.

Maybe Belichick can hire an electronics expert and see how he can exploit the wireless mics to gain an advantage??

My Mood
    Wicked

49ers waive LB Derek Smith

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 7:38 am EST

Linebacker Derek Smith, a dependable player on a series of losing teams with the San Francisco 49ers, was waived Tuesday in a move by the club that was influenced by equal parts high salary and declining play. He had been on the books for a reported $3.45 million for 2008 the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Smith came to the 49ers in 2001 as a free agent from the Washington Redskins and recorded 100-plus tackles at inside linebacker for five straight seasons until an eye injury in 2006 reduced his effectiveness. Smith played with essentially one good eye that season but still racked up 93 tackles in 13 games while fighting through double vision.

Smith started 14 games last season and had 98 tackles but his role in San Francisco's defense was diminished with the arrival of top draft pick Patrick Willis, who tackled everything in sight and was named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Not a bad ball player, not sure if he would be a good fit in the STEELERS system thou

My Mood
    Wicked

Detroit will not sign any of its 13 free agents early

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 8:00 am EST

The Detroit Lions won't try to re-sign any of their 13 players who will become unrestricted free agents before they go on the market coach Rod Marinelli told the Detroit News.

"I don't see it happening," Marinelli said. "I think guys want to go out and test the market. They should."

Damien Woody , who played right offensive tackle the last five games, should get the most attention. Linebacker Boss Bailey is the only full-time starter who will be a free agent. The others are linebacker Teddy Lehman , running backs T.J. Duckett , Aveion Cason and Tatum Bell , tight end John Owens , defensive backs Tony Beckham , Idris Bashir , Smith and Fisher, offensive tackle George Foster and wide receiver Troy Walters . Four players will be restricted free agents — quarterback Dan Orlovsky , guard Stephen Peterman , defensive tackle Langston Moore and Wilson.

There are a couple of players if we could get cheap might be worth taking a look at. I have always liked T.J. Duckett, but he never really got a chance anywhere he landed IMO he would be a better back up the Davenport

Thread Information