Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Another OT.....

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    SA's Bouncer
    DIESELMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brandenburg, Ky.
    Posts
    7,492
    My Mood
    Addicted

    Another OT.....

    Been reading up on this guy. Anyone know anything about him or seen him play? Started 11 games as LT this past season, made 15 run blocks for TD's. Was penalized only twice and gave up just 6 sacks. He helped the Jayhawks to almost 200 yds rushing. Registered 108 knockdowns in 2007.

    Anthony Collins OT Kansas 6'6" 308 lbs.

    Prototypical OT build, not a finesse player, likes to mix it up and gives a strong punch. Likes to put his man on the ground, can't be bull rushed, maintains his balance very well. Doesn't let go once he's locked on, in both run and pass blocking. Has the straight line speed and athleticism to get out in the open and hit a moving target.

    Kansas Profile


    If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!


    "Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

    "They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

  2. #2
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,670
    he gives up 6 sacks in 11 games, williams gives up 2 sacks in 3 years....i really dont like collins before the 3rd

  3. #3
    SA's Bouncer
    DIESELMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brandenburg, Ky.
    Posts
    7,492
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    he gives up 6 sacks in 11 games, williams gives up 2 sacks in 3 years....i really dont like collins before the 3rd
    True...just throwin another name out there, don't want everybody to get their hopes up on just 1 guy. I just hope Tomlin and Colbert are on the same page.


    If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!


    "Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

    "They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

  4. #4
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We don't know how many of those might be coverage sacks though too but either way depending on what they do in the 1st round I'd take him in the 2nd round..if he lasts till the 3rd round then I'd definitely take him regardless.

  5. #5
    Gold Standard
    BlackGold4vr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    China Lake, Ca
    Posts
    5,170

    O-line as strong as weakest link

    One of the ways the Steelers can't help but improve as a unit is to simply place Sean Mahan on the bench or better yet on waivers. I don't think Mahan could separate a 4 year old from their halloween candy. I also think that Faneca and Simmons played all year trying to cover for the weakness that Mahan brought to the table. Because he couldn't get any movement at all on his man and was often pushed back into the backfield the whole line looked bad. I have read that they are going to give Darnell Stapleton a good look this spring but I also would not be surprised to see them pick up a guy like Lichtensteiger in the 4th round. You cannot expect any degree of success on offense when your interior line is collapsing on most plays. When you think back to the great O-lines we have had they always included someone who could move the pile and anchor the center of the line. Our O-line will not be fixed unless they find a new center period!

    Mike Webster, C, Wisconsin, 5th round - 125th overall
    Dermotti Dawson, C, Kentucky, 2nd round - 44th overall
    Jeff Harting
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-23-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

  6. #6
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Been reading up on this guy. Anyone know anything about him or seen him play? Started 11 games as LT this past season, made 15 run blocks for TD's. Was penalized only twice and gave up just 6 sacks. He helped the Jayhawks to almost 200 yds rushing. Registered 108 knockdowns in 2007.

    Anthony Collins OT Kansas 6'6" 308 lbs.

    Prototypical OT build, not a finesse player, likes to mix it up and gives a strong punch. Likes to put his man on the ground, can't be bull rushed, maintains his balance very well. Doesn't let go once he's locked on, in both run and pass blocking. Has the straight line speed and athleticism to get out in the open and hit a moving target.

    Kansas Profile
    I like Collins.......If the top OTs are gone in the first when the Steelers pick then he would be an option in the 2nd round......

  7. #7
    SA's Bouncer
    DIESELMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brandenburg, Ky.
    Posts
    7,492
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    One of the ways the Steelers can't help but improve as a unit is to simply place Sean Mahan on the bench or better yet on waivers. I don't think Mahan could separate a 4 year old from their halloween candy. I also think that Faneca and Simmons played all year trying to cover for the weakness that Mahan brought to the table. Because he couldn't get any movement at all on his man and was often pushed back into the backfield the whole line looked bad. I have read that they are going to give Darnell Stapleton a good look this spring but I also would not be surprised to see them pick up a guy like Lichtensteiger in the 4th round. You cannot expect any degree of success on offense when your interior line is collapsing on most plays. When you think back to the great O-lines we have had they always included someone who could move the pile and anchor the center of the line. Our O-line will not be fixed unless they find a new center period!

    Mike Webster, C, Wisconsin, 5th round - 125th overall
    Dermotti Dawson, C, Kentucky, 2nd round - 44th overall
    Jeff Harting
    Hartings was a 1st rounder (23) by the Lions in 1996. Mahan definitely set our OL back last season (not by much but still set it back). I don't know who the scout or whoever thought he was any good, but he should be put on waivers to.


    If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!


    "Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

    "They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

  8. #8
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    All of those former Steeler centers were converted Guards at one time or another too...and I guess they felt Mahan being a converted Guard would have something to offer...chalk that bungle up a learning experience that you don't reach for a player just because you need one.

  9. #9
    Gold Standard
    BlackGold4vr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    China Lake, Ca
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    All of those former Steeler centers were converted Guards at one time or another too...and I guess they felt Mahan being a converted Guard would have something to offer...chalk that bungle up a learning experience that you don't reach for a player just because you need one.

    I believe that is why they lump centers and guards together just as interior lineman. We need a guard, tackle and a center IMO. The guard and tackle could fill back-up roles while they learn and compete for a starters job, but we need somebody new at center right now who can stand their ground on pass-pro and get some push on run blocks. Kemoeatu and Colon could compete for Faneca's vacated spot. Starks should reclaim the RT spot. That still leaves the biggest question mark at center.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

  10. #10
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Center is a position we never had to worry about for the last 35 years or whatever because we've always had that franchise guy that you knew could hold his own and anchor the line. Now that Hartings is gone we can't play musical centers anymore or get a 2nd rate guy that we hope will work. Mahan won that job last summer mainly because the competition for the job wasn't anything spectacular and nobody really stepped up to take the job so he ended up with it..plus he got a nice contract which didn't hurt either. If they are smart they'll find the right now this year and keep him around for a good long time otherwise the other 4 positions will be hampered once again.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •