Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Kirschke to a two-year deal

Bookmark and Share

Steelers sign Kirschke to a two-year deal

Steelers sign Kirschke to a two-year deal
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed backup defensive end Travis Kirschke to a two-year contract, the team announced today.

Kirschke, who would have become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this month, will be starting his fifth season with the Steelers. He started four games in 2007 after a biceps injury ended Aaron Smith's season and played in all 16 games.

Kirscke, 33, spent his first six seasons with the Detroit Lions and and one year with the San Francisco 49ers before signing with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent in March 2004.
    Post-Gazette

I don't mine the signing to add depth to the line. But no way should he start again if someone gets injured.

i guess he'll do for now. we better be on the look out though.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Gold Standard
    I considered him to be expendable. Back-ups should be young fire-plugs learning the defense and just waiting for opportunity to come knockin. They shouldn't be old guys who have been career back-ups because they were never good enough to start. That's just my opinion. You mean to tell me that Ryan McBean or any DE that we might draft this year (Philip Merling) couldn't fill in just as nicely as Kirschke or better? I hope signing him is not an indicator that they aren't going to look for another DE through either free agency or the draft.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I was really hoping he would retire.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I considered him to be expendable. Back-ups should be young fire-plugs learning the defense and just waiting for opportunity to come knockin. They shouldn't be old guys who have been career back-ups because they were never good enough to start. That's just my opinion. You mean to tell me that Ryan McBean or any DE that we might draft this year (Philip Merling) couldn't fill in just as nicely as Kirschke or better? I hope signing him is not an indicator that they aren't going to look for another DE through either free agency or the draft.
    Well the way Im guessing their thought process is that Kirschke is a good backup and has been for awhile in spot duty spelling the starters in a regular rotation and for only 2 years they aren't investing a ton of money in him. This way they can draft a young stud DE and hopefully develop both the draft pick & McBean over the next year or 2 and see what they really have in both so they have some options and aren't stuck with nobody experienced should the draft pick get hurt or not work out atleast I would hope that's their thinking and we still get a good DE in the draft that can really get ready to push Keisel and give us some quality play from the backup role at the least.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Well the way Im guessing their thought process is that Kirschke is a good backup
    I would have to disagree with you on that last part. He is not a good back-up and when he had to play for significant minutes while Aaron Smith was out our run defense went to ****. The only value Kirschke has ever had IMO is as a ST wedgebuster (buddy lee).
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    well ok let's see he's at least a serviceable backup? Im just guessing they are worried about having no veteran depth behind the starters and if somebody does go down again they don't want to rely on an unproven McBean and a draft pick that may not be quite ready. I'd probably agree that if we get a quality DE, somebody on day 1 atleast that they would probably do as good a job as Travis can but I can see their point ( if Im thinking the same as they are) that they want to have some veteran help there while they groom a new DE. What I don't want to see is them going for some scrub in the 4th round who has no chance like all of our recent DL draft choices. We have 4 solid guys now (including Hoke) but beyond that the talent level drops off considerably and that has to change.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Kirshke isn't as bad as everybody thnks. He is a good back up. And like said. McBean isn't the answer yet.

I'm A "Champion"

What? Kirschke gets blown 5 yards off the ball on every play. He sucks.

My Mood
    Angry
    Kirschke's better days are way behind him and he's getting long in the tooth.
    I'd let him walk.

Thread Information