Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Want to Sign Guard Kemoeatu to a Long-Term Deal

Bookmark and Share
    Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    oh man, now we have the fat dude with anger problems locked up...were set

his attitude means nothing when he gets pummeled by defensive linemen

You acted surprised. Alan had his bags packed before the season started. Chris Kemoeatu was going to replace him anyway. It is not like there were going to go out and sign someone off the FA market to replace Fat *** Faneca.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Here's the latest...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_552921.html

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ordinarily, the Steelers attempting to re-sign reserve guard Chris Kemoeatu would barely rate a mention entering free agency.

These are not ordinary times for the Steelers.

Seven-time Pro Bowler Alan Faneca, the top free-agent guard, is as good as gone. Last week the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Bears are considering signing Faneca to a huge deal. Additional teams are expected to enter the Faneca sweepstakes.

Kemoeatu, a restricted free agent with two starts in three NFL seasons, is the probable in-house candidate to replace Faneca at left guard.

Omar Khan, the Steelers' lead negotiator, has spoken with Kemoeatu's representative, Kenneth Vierra, regarding a new multiyear contract. The two are scheduled to have another phone conversation tomorrow and then meet in person Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

"What I took from the conversation is he's going to start at guard (in 2008)," Vierra said about Kemoeatu, a fifth-round pick (and the 204th player selected) in the 2005 draft. "The bottom line is they've expressed interest. We're making progress and talking and trying to get it done."

The Steelers are under no obligation to give Kemoeatu a long-term contract. As a restricted free agent, they can offer him a one-year tender and continue negotiating on a long-term deal or wait until after next season when he would become an unrestricted free agent.

Kemoeatu, who earned around $460,000 last season, would receive $927,000 next season if the Steelers offered him a low tender that would net them a fifth-round draft pick if another team topped their offer.

Vierra said the Steelers are more likely to offer a $1.47 million tender that would cost another team a second-round pick to sign Kemoeatu.

"Normally you can establish some kind of market, a range, and you can work things out," Vierra said. "It's a crapshoot because he has a lot of potential, he's shown a lot of good things, but he doesn't have 30 starts under his belt. We're trying to figure out what makes sense length-wise, bonus-wise, playing-time incentives-wise.

"I have full confidence he's going to be a Steeler in 2008. The question is, can we get a (long-term) deal done?"

Khan doesn't discuss contract negotiations, and director of football operations Kevin Colbert wasn't available for comment. A team spokesman said the Steelers don't discuss the status of their free agents.

Kemoeatu started two games at right guard in 2006 when Kendall Simmons was sidelined with a foot injury. He saw limited action at right guard last season in a "Monday Night Football" game against Baltimore. He also started at left guard in a preseason game against Green Bay last season when Faneca was out with a shoulder injury.

"If Alan's gone, you have a guy that can step in at a very high level," Vierra said. "He will work. That's what they like about him."

Clearly, the Steelers like what they see. But have they seen enough to offer Kemoeatu the long-term security he's seeking?
    They must totally know something that we don't if they are considering a long term deal with him as opposed to a 1 yr tender to keep him around. Kahn is the man so if he thinks they can get Kemoeatu for probably about the same cap hit with a multi year deal as 1 yr and the team thinks he can start then we'll just see how it pans out. I like the dude and I was pulling for him to win the job last year but if they do sign him he's got to produce because he's filling awfully big shoes.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok......I think its dumb to lock him up long term...lol He is still very much an unknown when it comes to starting in the NFL...Lock up for maybe another year or two and see how he plays before giving him a long term deal...

Teemont I'm not surprised at Kemoeatu having question marks in pass protection...He was a Cowher pick and Cowher built his OL around the power running game........Cowher could have gave two shits about pass protection....Thats why the Steelers always had great dominant run blocking OLs under Cowher....The pass protection was good for the most part put never great in my opinion...Thats why in Faneca's prime I still say he wasn't a great in pass protection...He was good but not great....As for the run blocking goes he was flat out great in his prime...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If Tomlin wants to get more a power running game going atleast in certain situations then maybe he feels the trade off to Kemoeatu's pass blocking is justified if they think he can be taught with more reps and 1 on 1 attention. At this point our run blocking stinks almost as bad as our pass blocking so at this point we're in a catch 22 situation because you know they won't go out and spend big money to retool this line with FA's. The draft is our only hope but we can't fix everything with 1 crop of players either so I guess they think Chris has what it takes to step in and step up to the plate

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    They gonna change the playbook? I don't see Chirs pulling across the line to make a block like Alan does (did).

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Ok......I think its dumb to lock him up long term...lol He is still very much an unknown when it comes to starting in the NFL...Lock up for maybe another year or two and see how he plays before giving him a long term deal...

Teemont I'm not surprised at Kemoeatu having question marks in pass protection...He was a Cowher pick and Cowher built his OL around the power running game........Cowher could have gave two shiats about pass protection....Thats why the Steelers always had great dominant run blocking OLs under Cowher....The pass protection was good for the most part put never great in my opinion...Thats why in Faneca's prime I still say he wasn't a great in pass protection...He was good but not great....As for the run blocking goes he was flat out great in his prime...
    I agree!!
    Locking him up long term is a stupid move.
    Steelers Beat Writer Ed Bouchette said in a season ending roundtable that the Steelers had a lot of question marks about Kemoeatu. Particularly hinting around that he is a play book Dumb-*** and doesn't know what's going on all the time when he's on the field.

!st Stupid move----Locking up Kendall Simmons

2nd Stupid move----Signing Sean Mayhan

3rd Stupid move----Not trying to negotiate with Alan Faneca

4th Potentially Stupid move----Re-signing up an over grown goon who only has the football IQ of a high school player.

Thread Information