Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Russel a legit option for us at RB in 2008 ?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Is Russel a legit option for us at RB in 2008 ?

Maybe this kid is a diamond in the rough and just hasn't had a chance to shine yet. He did get some action late in the season but before that he didn't play a down as far as I remember so Im thinking...how much confidence does Tomlin and Arians have in this kid to be a good compliment RB and possibly take on a bigger role or are they going to seriously make a run at a RB in the draft?

Colbert eluded to the fact that even RB is an option on day 1 so that tells me either that it's a smoke screen or else they don't have enough confidence that Russel can be a good backup and carry the load if need be. Parker and Davenport are the starters but I think if Russel is given the chance to get some carries he might surprise some people ?

Gold Standard

Yes, IMO he is

If we can fix the O-line it won't matter who is running through the holes. Just like the 90's Steelers or Broncos. Both teams had great O-lines and it didn't matter who the RB was. With the line we had this past year, Jim Brown couldn't have done much! Most of the time the line collapsed through the middle with Turnstile (Mahan) trying to get out of the way of defenders.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Russel was a very good RB in college.....So he has talent....I don't think the guy will ever be a super star at the NFL level....But I do think he could fit into a RB rotation with no problems.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    If we can fix the O-line it won't matter who is running through the holes. Just like the 90's Steelers or Broncos. Both teams had great O-lines and it didn't matter who the RB was. With the line we had this past year, Jim Brown couldn't have done much! Most of the time the line collapsed through the middle with Turnstile (Mahan) trying to get out of the way of defenders.
    Yeah that's one thing about the broncos; fans can say what they want about them and their lines questionable blocking tactics but Shanahan could pee wee herman and put him back there with the rock and he'd gain 1000 yds.LOL. I miss our solid lines we've had through most of the Cowher era. We've generally had very immobile QB's over the years except for Kordell and Cowher always preached OL and made it a priority to get FA's and draft guys that could play and keep his Quarterbacks upright and let players like Barry Foster, Bam Morris, etc be productive year in and year out.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Russel was a very good RB in college.....So he has talent....I don't think the guy will ever be a super star at the NFL level....But I do think he could fit into a RB rotation with no problems.....

That's the hard part is getting all these guys carries to keep them fresh but still keep the rhythmn of the running game. If we continue to use Parker as the starter and get Davenport more 3rd down carries or just in general give him a series here and there during a game to keep Willie fresh it will go a long way. The same could be done with Russel too and just let him get out there and carry the ball to see what he can really do. It's a win win situation for the whole team having 3 productive RB's available.

Starter
    Were always talking about finding a good balance between Parker and Davenport but I really dont think that any great difference will come from that. We just need to focus on the O-Line and like someone already stated it wont matter who we have back there.

Pro Bowl #2 and Counting JoeThomas's Avatar
    i think its always good to have running backs. with the beatings they take during the season, having 2-3 good RB's is needed.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    What about FullBack, do anyone think this kid Owen Schmidt would be worth a 4th or 5th round to maybe replace Kreider
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TUKrH197eE[/media]

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    What about FullBack, do anyone think this kid Owen Schmidt would be worth a 4th or 5th round to maybe replace Kreider
    Schmidt is an animal. I watched a t.v. special on him and he is a beast as far as college full backs are concerned. i guess we'd have to draft him and try him out before we knew if he was a good fit or not. if we don't grab him soon, some other team surely will. for now, i believe we should stick with fixing the swivel of an O-line we have.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    IMO Russell should at least be given a chance to show what he has and it would save drafting a running back this year more a more pressing need OL/DL

Would not minf picking up O. Schmidt in the 4 or 5th round either

I like Gary Russel. Not fast at all really, but can push he pile. Did not watch him at Minnesota so I cannot coment on him in college. I would like to see him get a chance this year. Probably a career backup.

Thread Information