Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: on the chopping block

Bookmark and Share
    Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel

on the chopping block

They remain under contract, but that doesn't mean they'll remain with their teams.

In a league in which trades are rare, there might be a record number of players on the block this offseason. From disgruntled Cincinnati receiver Chad Johnson, who has been openly lobbying for a trade, to a group of guys who still might believe they can spend their entire careers in one uniform, there's a growing list of high-profile players who could become available as teams start overhauling their rosters.

Everything from team chemistry to the salary cap could be involved in potential decisions to peddle big-name players. But asking prices aren't always met, and that could lead to some surprise cuts.

Here's a look at 10 big names who could be on the trading or chopping block:

Quarterback

Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles

Reasoning: The Eagles keep saying McNabb is their guy, and maybe that's the truth. But there was a reason why the Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb last year. McNabb's age and history of injuries are concerns. Philadelphia has lots of needs at other positions and McNabb should have substantial market value. Former Philadelphia assistant coaches Brad Childress (Minnesota) and John Harbaugh (Baltimore) are desperate for a solid quarterback and they might be willing to put together offers that would tempt the Eagles.

Tight end

Jeremy Shockey, New York Giants

Reasoning: Maybe it's not a coincidence that the Giants played their best after Shockey was injured. He and quarterback Eli Manning never have had great chemistry. Winning the Super Bowl gives Manning more clout. That's not to say Manning will try to run Shockey out of town, but the Giants will be more conscious than ever about doing what's best for their quarterback. Shockey kept a low profile during all the Super Bowl festivities, and he might want out. The development of rookie Kevin Boss during the postseason gives the Giants some flexibility at tight end.
    read the rest of the list here

Antwaan Randle El, Washington Redskins

Reasoning: Randle El had a career-high 51 receptions last season, but the Redskins need a big receiver as they switch to the West Coast offense, and Santana Moss isn't going anywhere. There already has been talk of them trading for Johnson, and Randle El is taking up a good chunk of the salary cap.
    Hmm... Wonder if he'd like to come back to Pittsburgh and try to get another ring?
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    Hmm... Wonder if he'd like to come back to Pittsburgh and try to get another ring?
    He left 4 the money so let him beg....

My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel
    I dont want him back....

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Defensive tackle

Kris Jenkins, Carolina Panthers

Reasoning: He's a three-time Pro Bowler and was Carolina's best defensive lineman last season. But the Panthers and Jenkins haven't been seeing eye to eye for several years. The Panthers tried to trade him last spring, but held out for a first-round pick that didn't come. The price tag could drop this season, and Washington or Baltimore are places Jenkins would love to play. The Panthers, who would be comfortable with Damione Lewis and Ma'ake Kemoeatu as their starting defensive tackles, also could simply cut Jenkins and free up $3 million in salary cap space.

I wouldn't mind this pick-up either...

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post

We don't need Randle El.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    We don't need Randle El.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    Defensive tackle

Kris Jenkins, Carolina Panthers

Reasoning: He's a three-time Pro Bowler and was Carolina's best defensive lineman last season. But the Panthers and Jenkins haven't been seeing eye to eye for several years. The Panthers tried to trade him last spring, but held out for a first-round pick that didn't come. The price tag could drop this season, and Washington or Baltimore are places Jenkins would love to play. The Panthers, who would be comfortable with Damione Lewis and Ma'ake Kemoeatu as their starting defensive tackles, also could simply cut Jenkins and free up $3 million in salary cap space.

I wouldn't mind this pick-up either...

He is not athletic enough to play Defensive End. Isn't reall a Nose Guard (not that we need one) and is too expensive to just play as a rotating lineman.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    He is not athletic enough to play Defensive End. Isn't reall a Nose Guard (not that we need one) and is too expensive to just play as a rotating lineman.
    If you would have been at the last game against the Ravens and seen Casey "BigBooty" Hambone Hampton play, you would say the same thing about him. He looked ridiculous! I don't know how he makes it on and off the field. He got ran all over by a couple of nobody rookies.I think DT is a bigger need than DE and Jenkins has SB experience and might come cheaper than you think. Remember, he wants a chance to win a title like most other players.

Only old players want a title. Younger ones like him only dream of the big paycheck. He is a douche anyway.

Thread Information