Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyree's catch gretest play in Super Bowl history?

Bookmark and Share
    Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked

Tyree's catch gretest play in Super Bowl history?

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 6:39 am EST

NFL Films President Steve Sabol, calling David Tyree's catch for the New York Giants the greatest play in Super Bowl history, says his pick before last week would have been John Riggins' 43-yard touchdown run in the Washington Redskins' 27-17 victory over the Miami Dolphins at the Rose Bowl in 1983 according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

Says Sabol of the fourth-and-one play that put the Redskins ahead to stay, "It's one of the classic shots in the NFL Films library: Riggins, all power and purpose, shaking off the last Miami tackler and thundering down the sideline."

Lynn Swann's amazing circus catch is by far the GREATEST of all time

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVA STEELERS View Post
    Lynn Swann's amazing circus catch is by far the GREATEST of all time
    Has Steve Sabol gone Insane??

Tyree's catch was pretty damn good but it doesn't even come close to topping Swann's acrobatic catch in Superbowl X.

Not even remotely close!!

homers.....that play, not just the catch...the whole play was ****ing awesome and is #1 imo

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    homers.....that play, not just the catch...the whole play was ****ing awesome and is #1 imo
    Yeah the whole play was a back breaker to the Patsies. If Tyree doesn't make the catch, game over.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by k train
    It was a great catch there is no doubt, and if he doesn't make it the Giants lose the game..but the greatest ever? What about Riggins run, Marcus Allen's run... John Elway's first down in the red zone for the Broncos to win their first super bowl, Swann's catch, ARE's pass to Hines to seal the win for us in XL, there's many on the list.

Gimme a break, Tyree's catch was great but not the greatest!
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 02-14-2008 at 11:01 AM.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    It was a great catch there is no doubt, and if he doesn't make it the Giants lose the game..but the greatest ever? What about Riggins run, Marcus Allen's run... John Elway's first down in the red zone for the Broncos to win their first super bowl, Swann's catch, ARE's pass to Hines to seal the win for us in XL, there's many on the list.

Gimme a break, Tyree's catch was great but not the greatest!
    Theres been so many great SB plays it would be hard to rank them, damn near every teams fan base could make a claim, except for the notable exceptions, the Bungholes, the Shitstains etc....

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I have to say I believe it is the greatest play I have seen to date. There have been some great ones but this play was great from the start. The way manning got away from the rush and then the throw and catch. I am with the #1 play!

The catch was good but I wouldn't rank it as the best ever... there have been so many great plays in the past Super Bowls that this might crack the Top 10 but not the Top 5.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Theres been so many great SB plays it would be hard to rank them, damn near every teams fan base could make a claim, except for the notable exceptions, the Bungholes, the shiatstains etc....
    If the Giants had beaten anybody else but the Pat then Sabol isn't making that statement..but the NFL's postchild in Tom Brady didn't win so now they are slobbering all over the Giants.

40+ superbowls, 40+ years of great plays. Every single super bowl has a defining play or series that you can make a case for being one of the greatest of all time so to sit there and say Tyree's catch was the greatest is bogus because IMO there really isn't a 1 greatest ever super bowl play but rather there's a bunch of really great ones.

fwp's 75 yard td run was pretty awesome , too...
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Thread Information