Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Specter: Patriots Taped the Steelers Twice in 04***Update 2/15 now 4 times total !!

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah there were many reasons we lost those games, many of which you mentioned but the fact that they did tape and when we did try and run plays there were all over us was just as much us not executing as it was them maybe knowing things about our formations and plays ahead of time.

Either way it still sucks and yes I am sour about it..LOL

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Yeah there were many reasons we lost those games, many of which you mentioned but the fact that they did tape and when we did try and run plays there were all over us was just as much us not executing as it was them maybe knowing things about our formations and plays ahead of time.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post

Either way it still sucks and yes I am sour about it..LOL
    I just think overall thats whats really wrong with sports and everything in this country anymore... We always want to point fingers and make excuses instead of looking at what we did wrong....The Pussifacation Of America is in full effect...lol

The Steelers should have beaten the Pats in 01 and only have themselves to blame....Two special team TDs given up by the Steelers special teams was just embarrassing.....I really don't think Spy Gate had any effect on those TDs.......

The punt return TD happened on a repunt if I recall thanks to a Steelers player running out of bounds and then coming back in to make the tackle....The blocked field goal shouldn't have happened also....Steelers only have themselves to blame there as well...

Kordell sucked in that game also which was his usual performance in play-off games...lol

As for the 04 game....Ben being a rookie has much to do with the out come in that game.....There are reasons why rookie QBs don't lead to teams to Super Bowls and that showed in that game....

Cowher running the ball with Bettis on that 4th and 1 early in that game was just stupid....Of course the Pats would have known that...That is so obvious...lol Play action pass would have been the better call or QB sneak....

Cowher kicking a field goal instead of going for a TD late that game also was stupid.....Of course Plax dropping a TD was huge....

The Steelers just made so many mistakes in both games for me to totally blame spy gate as the reason why they lost......The Pats did break the rules and continued to do so after being told to stop...So I agree they should have been punished and think they should have been punished more for their arrogance....But still like I said I can't blame spy gate for the out come of those games....lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Trust me Im not saying their taping the games and knowing our calls and formations was the sole reason they won...on the contrary we beat ourselves with the ST blunders and dropped passes. Cowher's teams had a history of choking in big games and those were just a few instances; SB XXX , the playoff game against the Titans , the playoff games against Denver, etc. this list goes on and on so yeah we know we screwed up but my gripe is that we really don't know how much they knew and how much of their defense on the field was based on what they knew about us. How many times were they able to jump routes for interceptions or knock down balls, or know our formations and be able to stack that part of the field accordingly. You see where I'm going with this; we certainly did a good job of shooting ourselves in the foot but damn it's not like they deserved an extra edge in that game to help their cause either.

It still all sucks and it's sour too

SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar
    The only thing that makes sense about Goodell destroying evidence.....for him to do that..he must have felt there was no other alternative. Or why do it? Unless it was something so incriminating, so damaging to the NFL he thought it was his only way out.

Rookie Free Agent

'01-'04

The punt return referenced above is the best example of Belichick owning Cowher. Belichick, through his own film study, sees Troy Edwards tendency to run OOB when covering punts. Cowher either doesn't know his own player does this, or knows it and does nothing to correct it. In any event, Belichick notifies the ref pre-game and it gets called 1Q after a booming punt. Then dumbfu*k Josh Miller spends too much tim monaing about the placement of the ball on the hash and gets off a ****** re-kick that's taken to the house.

'04...the Bettis 4th & 1 call? I really think Cowher was forced to go more with the run that game. Ben was worn out....wasn't sharp, had thrown a pick on his first pass of the game, threw behind an open Randle El....and then there was the debacle prior to half where he threw outside to Tuman for the pick 6, rather than up the middle to heinz for a TD.

We don't know the impact of the Pats cheating. I reall believe that Belichick's a brilliant coach who doesn't need to do that ****, but now that hit appears he's done it in some fashion, screw him. Nail his *** o the wall.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Ehh, it'ss in the past heck on them. Karma will get them in the end. Karma struck once already last week when they lost the SB.

I'm A "Champion"

I wasn't sure it was possible, but I'm very certain I hate the Patriots more than before.

I don't mean to whine or anything but I would like to see some extreme punishment for the severity of this and in hopes to prevent it from happening again in the future.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08046...?cmpid=HBEHTML

I knew it!! Now the **** is really starting to come out !
    Specter: Patriots filmed Steelers 4 times

Friday, February 15, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter said yesterday that he has a list of witnesses and will pursue the "Spygate" case against the New England Patriots that he said involved four games against the Steelers, including two AFC championship games.

"I think Steelers fans have a lot to be concerned about this and I'm one of them,'' Mr. Specter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in an interview yesterday, adding that "maybe Steelers ownership should think about it a little."

Specter met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for more than an hour Wednesday to discuss why evidence turned over by the Patriots that documented their illegal videotaping of opposing coaches' signals was destroyed. He said he was not satisfied with Mr. Goodell's explanation.

"I questioned him very closely why they destroyed the tapes and notes,'' said Mr. Specter, a Republican and the senior senator from Pennsylvania. "He gave an answer that made no sense, saying they destroyed them so no one could gain a competitive advantage. But if they put them under lock and key, they couldn't have access to them."

Greg Aiello, NFL senior vice president of public relations, referred to Mr. Goodell's news conference on Wednesday, where the commissioner said, "I think we are going to agree to disagree on certain things, including my view that we had an admission of guilt and, therefore, there was no reason for the tapes to be kept."

Mr. Specter said he specifically asked if they had any notes on the Steelers that were destroyed, and said NFL lawyer Jeffrey Pass indicated notes turned over by the Patriots indicated that four games were involved -- the AFC championship games in Heinz Field at the end of the 2001 and 2004 seasons, and two regular-season games in 2002 and 2004. The Steelers lost three of those games, winning in the regular season in 2004.

"The commissioner confirmed the taping had been going on since the year 2000,'' Mr. Specter said. "He made no valid explanation for [destroying the evidence]. There are a couple other major problems he had, to say the least."

One problem, the senator said, is that Mr. Goodell imposed a $500,000 fine on Patriots coach Bill Belichick, a $250,000 fine on the team and docked them a first-round draft pick this year before the commissioner learned New England's illegal taping had been more widespread.

The commissioner issued the punishment after a Patriots cameraman was caught taping signals of the New York Jets in their first meeting this season. He then ordered the Patriots to turn over any evidence they had of such taping, including notes. Afterward, no other evidence of illegal taping was mentioned by the league at the time.

"The taping occurred on Sept. 9,'' Mr. Specter noted. "He imposed the fine on the 13th, didn't get the material until the 17th and destroyed it on the 20th. He imposed the fine before he had the notes and tapes.''

Mr. Specter said he may hold hearings into the case, which also possibly involved the Philadelphia Eagles, who lost to the Patriots in the Super Bowl after the 2004 season.

He said one witness he's talking to is Matt Walsh, the former Patriots video director who may have been involved in taping the St. Louis Rams' walk-through practice the day before they lost to the Patriots on Feb. 3, 2002.

"Matt Walsh is the guy who supposedly taped the walk-through on the Rams game,'' Mr. Specter said. "The picture's starting to fit together. I've been talking to Walsh's lawyer.''

Mr. Specter said the lawyer indicated Mr. Walsh was being investigated "by a guy named Dick Farley, who is an NFL security guy and a former FBI agent.

"I asked Goodell about it and he said Farley does work for NFL security but that he didn't know anything about it.

"The plot thickens.''

Mr. Aiello said yesterday that Mr. Farley is looking at public records and verifying Mr. Walsh's employment history.

Mr. Specter said he's been informed that the practice of Mr. Belichick's staff illegally taping opposing coaches goes back to his days in the 1990s when he coached the old Cleveland Browns. He said Mr. Goodell told him they never looked into that.

"When you have a pattern,'' Mr. Specter said, "you look for when the pattern started.''

The senator said Mr. Goodell told him he has no more plans to investigate "Spygate.''

"He has a fair-sized stone wall erected,'' Mr. Specter said.

Said Mr. Goodell at his news conference Wednesday, "We're not following up; the senator said he wants to follow up."

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, reached at his home in North Carolina yesterday, said:

"Is it an advantage to steal signals? Yes. Did it determine the outcome of the game? No.''

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett also said that club officials believe that the results of the game did not hinge on stolen signals.

When new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin first heard about the incident with the New England cameraman in New York, he said at his weekly press conference, "Where there's smoke, there's fire.''

To those who believe the NFL is trying to cover up and minimize "Spygate," Mr. Goodell said Wednesday, "We are the ones who discovered the violation and disclosed it. If we were trying to cover something up, we wouldn't have taken the discipline we did and we wouldn't have brought the situation to light. We have been very clear about what happened. There was a violation of our policy."
    Hell ya Specter go get em man !! Now Goodell, the NFL, and the Pats might just finally get what they deserve or at the very least be exposed for trying to push this under the rug and let the Pats get away with it! I don't care how many we won or lost due to their taping, well I do but, the point is Belicheat and the Kraft=Krook hopefully get completely run through the ringer!

The crock by Goodell by saying that they were ones the discovered it and , gimme a break dude, yeah you brought it to the forefront of the public eye so you could look like the hero and then lay down some BS punishment and make it act like it's all over when in reality it was just beginning and you were afraid of being exposed!
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 02-15-2008 at 06:10 AM.

Draft Pick portcityblackandgold's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    I've heard that the real issue involves The FCC and some false info on some licensing applications. This is going to be far bigger scandal than the NBA had to deal with. Bellicheat may have coached his last game. I didnt think his losing ways in Cleveland had turned around that much. Now we know how he did it.

Anutha fine masterpiece by the picasso of sigs K-Train

Thread Information