Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five things each AFC North team needs

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Five things each AFC North team needs

This is an article from ESPN insider. I won't bother posting the other teams needs because frankly, who gives a **** what the other teams need? Nothing earth shattering here but it does show that we the fans have a pretty good grasp at what our needs are here at SA. From all the draft discussions I have seen here at SA everybody agrees that the O-line and D-lines are top priorities. Fix the O-line and RB's we have could be stars.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Center: The Steelers need to add three serviceable offensive linemen via the draft and free agency. Center is the most pressing need and will be the most difficult to address. Sean Mahan was Pittsburgh's only free-agent signing of note last year, and he was a disaster. This is an organization that has become accustomed to exceptional play at the pivot, going from Ray Mansfield to Mike Webster to Dermontti Dawson to Jeff Hartings to, ahem, Mahan.

Offensive tackle: This is the Steelers' second biggest need because tackles are more difficult to find than guards. LT Marvel Smith is still playing at a high level, but he is up for free agency a year from now and is battling a chronic back issue. Smith might be better off on the right side at this advanced stage of his career. Starting RT Willie Colon has trouble with speed rushers and probably would be better off inside at guard. That leaves tackle as a pressing need that very well could be addressed with Pittsburgh's first-round selection in April.

Defensive end: When Aaron Smith tore his biceps last season, Pittsburgh's run defense completely fell apart. Smith should be back to his outstanding level of play in 2008, but the Steelers desperately need to find a third end for their 3-4 scheme. Brett Keisel is a good player on the opposite side, but he would be far more effective with more rest in the course of a game. This need will not be filled easily. It is very rare for a draft pick to contribute immediately at this position in this scheme because most defensive linemen who are talented enough to play in the NFL are upfield-penetrating types.

Running back: Pittsburgh ran diminutive Willie Parker into the ground last year and, although he should return to full strength, the team needs one of its traditional pile movers. The offense struggled running the ball near the goal line and was more of a finesse group overall last season. That isn't the Steelers' style. In a running-back-rich draft, Pittsburgh should find a suitable powerful backup for Parker with one of its first four selections.

Offensive guard: The Steelers are going to make one more effort to re-sign Alan Faneca, but assuming he takes his services elsewhere, Pittsburgh is thin at guard. If the Steelers can address center and tackle, their need for a guard should fall, but make no mistake -- it is a major need without Faneca. RG Kendall Simmons is a middle-of-the-road starter, and youngster Chris Kemoeatu shows promise as a straight-ahead pile mover but is far from a sure thing as a starter.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I agree with those five things....LT and C is such a high need followed by DL.......

I agree the Steelers should look to add a RB in this deep class of RBs....

im liking me some chris johnson, steve slaton or ray rice in the 3rd.

or possibly dexter jackson for our return man...as a general rule, when you go to appalacian state...you are a badass lol

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    im liking me some chris johnson, steve slaton or ray rice in the 3rd.

or possibly dexter jackson for our return man...as a general rule, when you go to appalacian state...you are a badass lol
    Dude I'm all for the drafting of Chris Johnson...I mentioned him to Dieselman before the Bowl games started as a possible draftee....I don't think he will last to the 3rd though.....Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that but he is a good RB and a elite kick returner...Not Hester class but pretty damn good.......So I don't see him falling to the 3rd....I hope you're right.....

Dexter Jackson would be a good pick also....I rather have Rice then Slaton but still Slaton is a good player also...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im not convinced we need a RB this year. We don't know what type of talent we have in Russel yet. The man is bull and runs hard but he just hasn't gotten many opportunities yet. We may have a gem here that we don't even know about yet. Im not opposed to drafting a RB but I don't think it's a high priority this year.

I would add WR to that list. Behind Hines & Santonio we have no proven legit threat. Nate has shown more signs that he's coming along but now that he's made some plays this year the bar is raised and he need to reach for it because his play will be judged with more criticism now.

A local newspaper around here was talking about drafting needs this year and they mentioned Dexter Jackson as someone the Steelers might be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Dude I'm all for the drafting of Chris Johnson...I mentioned him to Dieselman before the Bowl games started as a possible draftee....I don't think he will last to the 3rd though.....Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that but he is a good RB and a elite kick returner...Not Hester class but pretty damn good.......So I don't see him falling to the 3rd....I hope you're right.....

Dexter Jackson would be a good pick also....I rather have Rice then Slaton but still Slaton is a good player also...
    mcfadden, mendehall, stewart, and felix jones are all #1 picks imo, after that i think theres a huge drop off and the next guy is a 3rd round grade, johnson might not be there when we pick in the 3rd but i think hes a third rounder nonetheless

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post

Johnson's stock has been rising, wait for the combines (7 more days), if he blows people away, he might jump into the 1st rd. Theres plenty of teams who need a RB. Strange things happen in the draft.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Johnson's stock has been rising, wait for the combines (7 more days), if he blows people away, he might jump into the 1st rd. Theres plenty of teams who need a RB. Strange things happen in the draft.

Be careful Diesel. I have already been chastised (by MORONS) for suggesting that draft boards are reshuffled as a result of combine performances. Thats why they hold the combines don't ya know! Because they don't mean a thing!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Be careful Diesel. I have already been chastised (by MORONS) for suggesting that draft boards are reshuffled as a result of combine performances. Thats why they hold the combines don't ya know! Because they don't mean a thing!
    ehh who cares what some people think or say, The combines are there for a reason, to show scouts and coaches a little more on these players. Granted, teams should go by game tapes, thats a better evaluation. Some teams swear by the combines some teams don't, it is what it is.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah players stock can rise and drop big time as a result of combine numbers but the teams who really do their homework on players have watched tape and know what they are capable of or not cabable of. Some players just don't do well in timed tests but their value on the field is still very high. It's always important to have as good a showing as you can though that's for sure because it certainly doesn't hurt

Thread Information