Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: With the 53rd selection in the 2nd round the Steelers take...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

With the 53rd selection in the 2nd round the Steelers take...

Who's your pick here.

I would love to trade up and get Pat Sims, the dude is monster from what I've been reading on him but a few mocks are projecting him higher in the 2nd round. If we can't swing him then I'd probably say Chilo Rachal at G.

Gold Standard
    I don't know if a DT or NT is where we are thinnest. Chris Hoke is Big Snack's back-up and he is a capable back-up. I would probably go with Branden Albert, OG (who some see as our first pick) I think this guy is easily still available at the 53rd pick or I would go with Philip Merling, DE from Clemson. We need good defensive ends more in my opinion than DT's. Aaron Smith's absence revealed our need at the position. When he went down our run defense fell apart. So I think an O-lineman or DE should get the 53rd pick consideration. Look at the best player available at those two positions and roll the dice.

I also think that if you want to address DT you can wait another round or two. Frank Okam from Texas (Casey Hamptons alma matter) is being projected towards the bottom of the top 100 list. Okam is a horse just like Hampton and is more of a NT than a DT.
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-01-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I read somewhere and for the life of me I can't find it now that they said Sims might be one who can be converted to and DE as well and with his size the dude would be a monster for us and be able to back up both positions. Hoke is a very capable backup to Hampton that's for sure so it's not a glaring immediate need unless they'd be able to make him more of an end but he sure is monster that I'd love to have. A more practical selection would be a Guard at this point since most of the DE's that are projecting the 2nd round from what I saw would be ones that are more on the smaller side and would be used for an OLB role.

Gold Standard
    I believe we are on the same page TOP. Great minds think alike!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Bowman, Doucet or hawkins

Gold Standard
    By Mel Kiper Jr.
    ESPN.com

As good as defensive end Gaines Adams was at Clemson in 2006, his former teammate Phillip Merling might be even better. Adams -- the fourth pick in last year's NFL draft -- was extremely flashy during his playing days at Clemson; however, you can make the argument that Merling is the more complete player. Merling is one of three new underclassmen debuting on this week's top 25 Big Board, along with USC guard Chilo Rachal and Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly.
    Philip Merling, DE, 6-5, 280lbs, Clemson: debuts on Mel Kipers big board at #11 overall. This is the guy I liked at our 2nd pick at #53 spot. I hope he doesn't climb that high on peoples boards or there will be no shot at picking him in the second round.

Notes: Merling is a tremendous run defender that makes plays in the backfield. He’s quick off the snap, plays with leverage, and alters the opposition’s offensive direction. He uses his hands effectively and has good range in pursuit. He has great balance, rarely gets knocked off his feet, and is fast off the edge. He’s a durable defender that has started every game in the last two seasons.

Ht: 6-5 Wt: 270 40: 4.80e
    Position: DE
    Date of Birth: 08/19/1985
    Class: Junior
    High School: Cordova HS
    (Cordova, TN)
    College: Clemson

2008 Scout.com NFL Draft Rankings (full list):
    Pos: DE Pos Rank: #10 Pos Rating:

Scout.com Player Evaluation:
    STRENGTHS
    Backside Pursuit
    Explosion
    Intensity/Effort
    AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
    Disengaging Skills
    Strength

More physical vs the run then I expected. Liked his intensity and overall effort. Disruptive. Good range and versatility. Showed a tendency to play to high, but I loved his motor, quickness, toughness and the ability to finish. Good backside effort. Locates the ball on the inside. Needs better play strength and work disengaging from blocks. Could have some nickel inside pass rush potential. More complete then Gaines Adams. I am hoping that this guy might fall to us.
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-19-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Tevor Laws-DT/DE Notre Dame. I know he is a little short but he does not stop and is very versatile.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Philip Merling, DE, 6-5, 280lbs, Clemson: debuts on Mel Kipers big board at #11 overall. This is the guy I liked at our 2nd pick at #53 spot. I hope he doesn't climb that high on peoples boards or there will be no shot at picking him in the second round.
    Then maybe we should hope he has a bad showing at the combine

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Then maybe we should hope he has a bad showing at the combine

Funny thing is while Mel Kiper is ranking him as the 11th best player in the draft, scout.com had him ranked 63rd last week and this week he dropped off of their top 100 list. He is going in two different directions on different boards. Just goes to show how volatile these rankings are and how drastically they can change. Ones scouts stud is anothers dud and vice versa.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Bowman, Doucet or hawkins
    I have to go with you on this Train, but I don't think any of these guys will fall to us. I really like Doucet with him having the best hands in the WR corp.

Thread Information