Bookmark and Share
    Tailgate Coordinator

Post Smith vows to curb aggression

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=9

Steelers' Smith vows to curb aggression

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, February 2, 2008
    PHOENIX -- Steelers safety Anthony Smith made another guarantee this week.
    It's not what you think.
    In the tradition of Smith's infamous victory guarantee against the New England Patriots last December and former Steelers receiver Plaxico Burress' predicting a New York Giants win over the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, Smith vowed to curb his on-field aggressiveness next season.
    Within reason, of course.
    story continues below

"I can't be so aggressive," said Smith, who is in Arizona for the Super Bowl. "By that I mean knowing when to be aggressive.
    "I won't change," Smith, a third-round draft pick in 2006 who may be the Steelers' most physical defender, promised Thursday. "If I stopped being aggressive, I wouldn't be the same player. It's just knowing when to be aggressive.''
    In the Steelers' 34-13 loss at New England Dec. 9, Smith was victimized on a pair of Tom Brady touchdown bombs. Brady threw over the top to beat Smith, the last line of defense who aggressively came up both times to stop the run.
    Smith admitted that his fierce pride to always make the big hit may have gotten the better of him.
    "New England never runs to Randy Moss' side," Smith said. "On the first touchdown (a 63-yarder from Brady to Moss) they (faked a run) to his side. I came up for the run and we were in a Cover 2. I have to stay back."
    New England later burned the Steelers on a flea-flicker. Brady tossed a lateral to Moss, who threw it back to Brady. Brady lofted a 56-yard touchdown strike to Jabar Gaffney, the ball landing just beyond Smith's reach.
    The object of local and national ridicule for his performance against New England, Smith said he wouldn't change anything regarding his failed guarantee.
    "I stand by what I said. But I didn't use the word guarantee. I said if we played the way we're capable of, we would win. I still feel the same way," said Smith, who, despite losing his starting job to veteran Tyrone Carter in the playoff loss against Jacksonville, insists the criticism he received didn't affect his play, or his confidence.
    Burress, like Smith, was asked to predict the final score of tomorrow's Giants-Patriots clash. And, like Smith, Burress refused to give reporters a politically correct no-comment.
    Burress not only predicted a Giants' victory, but he also offered the final score: 23-17.
    Everyone -- from Giants coach Tom Coughlin to Brady -- has weighed in on Burress' guarantee. None of the responses has been favorable toward Burress, who will be hailed as a heroic visionary if the Giants win but a misguided fool if they lose to what many consider the best team in NFL history.
    Just like Smith.
    "I know what Plaxico is going through," said Smith, whose prediction has been linked with Burress all week. "If you're a football player, you have to believe you're better than the man across from you."
    And if you're Anthony Smith, you understand that you better back up your tough words with more positive results. John Harris is a sports writer for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We beat that topic of Anythony's guarantee to death back when it happened. You can't fault the guy for having confidence in his teams ability and what he said was true that if we play the way our team is capable of we can beat anybody. I still don't believe you need to be shooting your mouth off and guaranteeing anything but you never know what can happen in a game so it's better to just let your play do the talking on the field. I like trash talking in a game, it adds some some extra spunk to the contest but guaranteeing a win is something that you just don't do regardless of the opponenet.

Smith is the future at this position and after he got burnt and totally taken out of his game the last month of the season he needs to come back strong because he's too much of a talent and physical player to not be on the field. He's got some learning and growing up to do so hopefully he takes advantage of this offseason.

MVP
    that wasnt aggresion that was IGNORANCE.
    Last edited by SteelerMatt; 02-02-2008 at 11:32 AM.
    http://www.eacustomcovers.com/_sa/1st.jpg[/IMG]

My Mood
    Chatty
    At least he didn't do it before a SB game like Plax is doing!! Plax is a bigger arse for even opening his big yap already!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Plax will eat his words if they don't win this weekend just like Anthony did since he played the Pats and from then on out. Lesson learned the hard way all to often, it's a lot harder to back up guaranteeing a win than it is to not guarantee one.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMatt View Post
    that wasnt aggresion that was IGNORANCE.

Draft Pick portcityblackandgold's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    If he gets any less aggressive he'll have to put on some panties. No disrespect to our female Addicts. Maybe he means he going to play smarter
    Last edited by portcityblackandgold; 02-03-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Anutha fine masterpiece by the picasso of sigs K-Train

My Mood
    Chatty
    I will say this, you really don't hear the Pats talking alot of crap before important games. Beleive me i'm not a fan but it is one team that may respond to crap but doesn't start most of the crap. We usually don't I think Smith meant it to get as bad as it was. Lessons learned!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Frustrated
    He doesn't need to curb his aggression, just his lips! Keep your mouth shut and play ball....

i like AS agressiveness and attitude. Its like Peezy at a differnt position. That D needs someone or something to get them fired up. So he eats his words and gets better for next year. I love the animosity. And as far as Plax is concerned, Well I guess he mad Tom BIatch Brady eat his words didnt he. Broadwy Burress

Thread Information