Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, the decision has been made: Grass stays!

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Tailgate Coordinator

Exclamation Well, the decision has been made: Grass stays!

Steelers will stay with grass at Heinz Field
    Friday, February 08, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have decided to stick with grass at Heinz Field, but they have not yet determined what kind it will be, sources confirmed.

Although Steelers President Art Rooney and chairman Dan Rooney each declined to comment, sources told the Post-Gazette that during meetings the past week, they decided not to install any kind of artificial turf.

And on Thursday, Jimmie Sacco, Heinz Field executive director of stadium development, said at a Stadium Managers Association conference, that the Steelers want to stick with grass.

"That's what the players want,'' Sports Business Daily quoted him as saying.

They may stay with the DDGrassMaster that has been the playing surface for most of Heinz Field's seven years, or switch to some sort of pure grass or sod.

Dan Rooney has been in favor of grass since Heinz Field opened, citing his players' overwhelming support for such a surface and surveys he says indicate fewer and less serious injuries occur on grass fields. DDGrassMaster is grass that is secured with fibers.

However, NFL Players Association surveys consistently put Heinz Field near the bottom of the league in playing surfaces.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08039/856014-66.stm

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Great yet another yet of being the laughing stock of the league in having the worse damn field in professional sports !! Yet another year of wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars resodding a swamp!

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    This is "classic" Rooney stubbornness. The city wants turf, the Panthers want turf, 75% of the players want turf, 75% of the fans want turf, but Rooney will force the issue just to show he's in charge.

I hope the Steelers have yet another year of embarassing field conditions (hopefully it will happen during a nationally televised game) and this man will have earned the moniker of "Captain CHEAPSKATE" weather he deserves it or not.

Worse yet, let us lose a few games because WR's are slipping on their routes or Willie can't keep his feet under him and you'll see the fans turn faster on Rooney than a whore on a Ben Franklin.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    This decision doesn't make alot of sense to me....unless it's really true that the majority of Steelers players actually want the grass. I would have to hear their reasoning behind it. I don't really care what the rest of the players in the NFL want. Maybe there is something...some reason we don't know???

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    This is "classic" Rooney stubbornness. The city wants turf, the Panthers want turf, 75% of the players want turf, 75% of the fans want turf, but Rooney will force the issue just to show he's in charge.

I hope the Steelers have yet another year of embarassing field conditions (hopefully it will happen during a nationally televised game) and this man will have earned the moniker of "Captain CHEAPSKATE" weather he deserves it or not.

Worse yet, let us lose a few games because WR's are slipping on their routes or Willie can't keep his feet under him and you'll see the fans turn faster on Rooney than a whore on a Ben Franklin.
    Oh it's a guarantee we'll have a terrible field come November again. It's been that way every since they built Heinz and it's destined to be that way in the future. For a team that is so frugal and hell bent on not spending a lot of money on top players the least they could do is get a field that that actually does what it's supposed too......actually stand up to the rigors of all the work it gets !!

yes boys and girls we are destined for another year of this..

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post

Great yet another yet of being the laughing stock of the league in having the worse damn field in professional sports !! Yet another year of wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars resodding a swamp!
    I like the fact we have grass I feel it really does protect the Players ..the real problem is the whole State of Pennsylvania plays on Heinz field..

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i say **** resodding it next year, just play on it as is, it's doesn't make a difference, why spend money to make it worse??

and i really hope a big time player has a career ender on it
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

i hope they die in a fire

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i hope they die in a fire
    Koopa is rubbing off on you

Reppin' 724
    I love it.

Thread Information