Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Franchise Tag Faneca

Bookmark and Share
    Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked

Franchise Tag Faneca

PITTSBURGH — If the Steelers want to really play hard ball with Alan Faneca, they could keep him for at least one more year by slapping the “franchise player” tag on him.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers’ director of football operations, said Monday that franchising Faneca, the seven-time Pro Bowl guard who’s eligible for unrestricted free agency, isn’t probable. But it’s nonetheless an option the Steelers can exercise if they chose to do so.

“The franchise tag is always at our disposal,” Colbert said. “Traditionally, we do not use the franchise tag, because, as an organization, we want to have players that want to be part of our organization. But we will never say we’ll never use the franchise tag because it’s a collective bargaining tool that’s at our disposal.”

All NFL teams are allowed to designate one franchise player.

An “exclusive” franchise player, who would not be free to sign with another team, is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at that player's position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

This past season, Faneca’s base salary was only $4.375 million, a $1 million roster bonus included.

If the Steelers would tag Faneca as a franchise player, he would receive a one-year contract worth roughly $9 million. Last year’s franchise tag salary for an offensive lineman was $9.5 million.

I am trying to think when the last time the STEELERS used the franchise tag on a player, was it Gildon If they are unsure about being able to replace him, they should go this route

why **** off a player who got *** raped all year long? that will really motivate him

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    **** that, the dude is not worth 9 million dollars for one year of service, lets just let him walk and rebuild, we ain't going to win the superbowl next year anyway, might as well bring in some young talent through the draft and get them playing time next year
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

letting faneca walk is a step forward, not a step towards rebuilding....and yes were gonna win the superbowl next year lol

Reppin' 724
    i hat eto say it, but slappin the tag, isnt going to help us at all. Let him walk if he doesnt wanna be here.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Like Train, Koop and TEE already said....**** that!! Yeah he's a professional but slapping the franchise tag on him would probably turn him into a cancer in the locker room. Let him walk if they can't come to a reasonable agreement.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    Yeah, I see nothing that says he wants to be here. Let him walk if he wants.

players shouldnt get pissy about tags...thats an assload of money lol

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    players shouldnt get pissy about tags...thats an assload of money lol
    Not to mention the Steelers are 20 mil under the cap. But Faneca is coming on the edge of the back half of his carrier. He's worth the 9 mil over time.

Faneca is a perpennial Pro-Bowler, however if he does not want to come back, franchising him will only hurt the team in the long run. We should let him go and get some new young blood in the draft.

Thread Information