Thread: Wexell picks Brandon Albert???

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Wexell picks Brandon Albert???

Wexell makes a bold prediction that Branden Albert, OG, 6-6.5, 320, Virginia will be the Steelers first selection in this years draft. I don't know much about Albert to be truthful. What I do know is that he is currently ranked as the 3rd guard and 63rd overall in the draft. Would it be a reach to select him 23rd? Why not snag him in the second round? Shoot for Williams or Clady in the first and Albert will more than likely still be there in the second round. With the Steelers offensive line in such disarray I would have no problems whatsoever with our top two picks going there. A top notch guard and tackle will really help put together something that will work in training camp. I know everybody wants a center but that will have to come from either free agency or a conversion from another position.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Brandon Albert might be there in the 4th round. I personally don't view OG as anywhere close to the need OT is. Not sure where you saw him ranked 63rd overall. That's a little higher than I have him or anywhere else I've seen.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    Brandon Albert might be there in the 4th round. I personally don't view OG as anywhere close to the need OT is. Not sure where you saw him ranked 63rd overall. That's a little higher than I have him or anywhere else I've seen.
    scout.com has him at 63rd and their rankings are generally pretty good since they are utilizing a network of scouts and sportswriters to produce their rankings. Either way it would be a huge reach to waste the first pick on a guy most have as a 3rd or 4th rounder.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Picking him up in the 2nd round wouldn't be such a bad idea considering 4 of our OL are either UFA's or RFA's (Faneca, Starks, Kemoeatu, & Essex) this year we need depth everywhere and depending on who they decide to bring back will play heavily in this position. That being said at this point Tackle is obviously a huge need for us and I hope to God they address the interior line on both sides of the ball with all their day 1 picks. We'll find out this year if Tomlin is a guy that is one to reach for a player and if so how bad will it backfire on him.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I think Wexell is on crack personally....Noway the Steelers take Albert or any OG in the first round....No OGs are really worth a first round grade to me.....I really hope Tomlin/Colbert take a LT in the first....If they blow this draft especially in the 2nd day...I'm calling Ktrain and I think I will form a posse to kick their *** and we will take over the draft day operations of the team...

Train and I seem to agree on the teams needs and many of the players the Steelers should select this year.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    At this point I wouldn't put it past Colbert to do pretty much anything. I just don't care for his drafting style and it's given us nothing on day 2 for so long now it's not funny anymore. This is where Tomlin needs to step in, talk with his coaches and get the guys that will help us the most now and thats on the interior lines and then go from there.

he might want to consider taking his own life

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Picking him up in the 2nd round wouldn't be such a bad idea considering 4 of our OL are either UFA's or RFA's (Faneca, Starks, Kemoeatu, & Essex) this year we need depth everywhere and depending on who they decide to bring back will play heavily in this position. That being said at this point Tackle is obviously a huge need for us and I hope to God they address the interior line on both sides of the ball with all their day 1 picks. We'll find out this year if Tomlin is a guy that is one to reach for a player and if so how bad will it backfire on him.

Why not trade up with our 6th pick plus our 1st spot and move up to get Chris Williams who really is a beast. Watched him play in the senior bowl and he is not a flabby looking 320lbs. The guy is lean and muscular and has very quick feet. No comparison to him and some of the other "fat" guys available at the same position.

Next pick a DE like Lawrence Jackson, USC or Philip Merling, Clemson at the second spot.

Now you pick Branden Albert, OG who would still be available and the bonus would be your fans wouldn't be looking for a rope and the nearest tree.

Thread Information