Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben gets Steelers Ed Block Courage Award

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Arrow Ben gets Steelers Ed Block Courage Award

http://news.steelers.com/article/86981/

Roethlisberger voted Steelers Ed Block Courage Award recipient

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is the Steelers 2007 Ed Block Courage Award recipient, an award voted on by his teammates.

“It is an honor that your teammates vote for it and it means a lot coming from them,” said Roethlisberger. “I am happy to be the recipient of the award as the come back guy. Hopefully I can be a role model for the kids as that has always been a goal of mine.”

The award is presented annually to a Steelers player who has fought back from an injury or tough situation to return to the field. Last season Roethlisberger was in a motorcycle accident in June that left him hospitalized and many fearing his football future. He remarkably came back from that unscathed, only to have to an emergency appendectomy before the start of the season.

“I guess the other side of it is it looks like I am the one that came back from the worst injury with the accident and everything,” said Roethlisberger. “But it means my teammates respect the hard work you put in to try to get back and also for the things you do in the community.”

One player from every NFL team is selected as a winner and are honored at a national luncheon in Baltimore.
    Now maybe we can stop all this talk about Ben not being respected or liked by his teammates because he didn't get the team MVP vote. They know he's tough, talented, determined, and a Steeler all the way. Congrats to Ben on getting this award!

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Let's not try to buy Ben respect by using this award to do it. This is essentially the Leg Lamp "major award" that the dad in the movie The Christmas Story recieved .... you remember, the one marked with the French words 'frag-il-ee' on the box.

This award is presented to a player who has fought back from an injury or tough situation to return to the field (basically there was nobody else to give it too!) .... Bottom line, it has nothing to do with his leadership skills on the team (which is why he wasn't voted for team MVP) and everything to do with his resilience to return from injury.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

My Mood
    Smokin
    Congrats to Ben

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    Let's not try to buy Ben respect by using this award to do it. This is essentially the Leg Lamp "major award" that the dad in the movie The Christmas Story recieved .... you remember, the one marked with the French words 'frag-il-ee' on the box.

This award is presented to a player who has fought back from an injury or tough situation to return to the field (basically there was nobody else to give it too!) .... Bottom line, it has nothing to do with his leadership skills on the team (which is why he wasn't voted for team MVP) and everything to do with his resilience to return from injury.
    Why do you read so much into a freeking MVP award that Steelers QB's never get anyways. The last time we talked about this I posted up the list of all the Steelers team MVP's and there were only a couple that ever got it, even the great Bradshaw only ever got it twice and you could argue he should have gotten every year so I guess that means the dynasty era teams never respected Terry either! There's no point beating this topic to death again, anybody who thinks this team doesn't respect Ben, doesn't think he's the leader on the field, and doesn't think that he is the major reason we got back to the playoffs this year seriously needs to rethink that thought process. Steelers teams just do NOT vote QB's as their MVP's..that's how it is and how it's been for the last 4 decades. Nobody is saying Ben doesn't deserve it, he does...so does Willie, Hines, James and a couple others you could make a case for.

Reppin' 724
    Dammit I hate to do this, really, but I agree with ICS.

Winning this award is like winning the Maxwell award in college football. Last year Brady Quinn won it, but then Troy Smith wins the Heisman, so who was really the best QB.

I'm not saying his teammates don't respect him, but they should have voted him MVP, it doesn't matter what the Steelers usually do. I guess this is a nice award and all, but you know deep down, Ben knows he deserved MVP, and e probably harbors a little hate since his team spurned him on an award that should have been his. I mean for chrissake, the dude was easily the second most valuable player in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    WOW! That is something I thought I would never see!

Bottom line is I think he there was anything between the players and Ben they would have somebody else they would have given it too. I don't think this is a win by default so congrats to Ben!

My Mood
    Horny
    congrats to ben!

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    WOW! That is something I thought I would never see!

Tee and I would probably be best friends if we were neighbors.

I just like busting his balls becasue he has such a short fuse and I can almost guess how he's going to respond.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post

Winning this award is like winning the Maxwell award in college football. Last year Brady Quinn won it, but then Troy Smith wins the Heisman, so who was really the best QB.

I'm not saying his teammates don't respect him, but they should have voted him MVP, it doesn't matter what the Steelers usually do. I guess this is a nice award and all, but you know deep down, Ben knows he deserved MVP, and e probably harbors a little hate since his team spurned him on an award that should have been his. I mean for chrissake, the dude was easily the second most valuable player in the league.
    The Steelers are a team entrenched in history and tradition. They do things a certain way and it's rare that they deviate from that. Players that have been on the team for any length of time understand this and they buy into it as well. Regardless of how great Ben is, and yes he is the best Steelers QB since Bradshaw and when it's all said and done he may be mentioned in the same breath as that HOF QB but the fact is the team knows Ben is the leader, they know they will go as far as he can take them and they know he is capable of moving the chains, throwing TD's and winning games each and every week. It just comes down to that fact that once again the Steelers just don't vote QB's the MVP that often and right or wrong that's how it is, period. Ben will get team MVP's during his career with us there is no doubt but to actually think the team doesn't respect or believe in him because of him not getting it for 2007 is absurd IMO.

Ben may harbor a bit of resentment but it's not something that would deter him from sticking around Pittsburgh and signing a new deal. He'll get over, Hines will get over Ben's comments about the tall WR and everybody will move on.

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    Tee and I would probably be best friends if we were neighbors.

I just like busting his balls becasue he has such a short fuse and I can almost guess how he's going to respond.
    My balls are sensitive, they don't need busted.

Besides, it sucks that I'm always right, and unless you happen to agree with me, you're wrong.

Thread Information