Thread: Steelers should really make a push for Jeff Faine from the Saints for center...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    saints-hater

Steelers should really make a push for Jeff Faine from the Saints for center...

Jeff Faine - I'm not 100% sure he's available but I thought he was a free agent this year? I liked him coming out of ND and our OL problem starts in the middle.
    He's not listed on some of the free agent lists, but the New Orleans message boards are listing him as a free agent and rotoworld says he's not under contract either.

I too really, really liked Jeff Faine coming out of college. If he is available, he's now my #1 free agent wish-list. Heck, I might be in favor of Faine, Johnson which I think we can work under the cap if we get a little creative. I don't think any of these guys break the bank.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Faine's rookie season (2003) was Arian's last year in Cleveland? Things that make you go hmmm.....

Is Colbert man enough to admit Mahan isn't the center he thought and spend similar money on another interior offensive lineman?
    I've said from the beginning that Mahan wasn't brought into here to be the starting Center. He is a utiltiy lineman, and was simply insurance for Faneca (hold out) Okobi (stinking) Simmons (health) and some questions with our OT's ... Mahan's best position is probably OG.

I think Faine is in an option year which is causing the confussion and his ommissions from some of the free agent lists ... he hasn't opted out yet? Adding a Center fixes alot of problems with that OL in my opinion.Getting Faine might be the best method to fix the problem. He was a 1st round talent.

Not being the contract guru around here I don't have a clue what he'd be worth. More than Mahan for sure, right? He's actually younger than Mahan if you guys can believe that (why didn't our front office plan ahead for this guy). The Saints gave up a 2nd round pick for him. He's started 66 games the last 5 seasons. And if you look at Reggie Bush's stats this season when he ran the football he averages the most yards per carry running up the middle where Faine is as opposed to running on the outside averaging 4.4 yards a carry running behind Faine which is very very good.

Would 5-years, $25 million get it done? That's close to what I predict Starks will get. Who would you rather have?

That stupid Mahan contract is going to hang over our head for a while. What a waste of money when we could have just used Okobi (we'd have been no worse than we were) and NOW go after Faine. Again... the foresight and planning ahead looks so sporatic with Colbert. Everything he does looks like band-aid GM work. Never break the bank and just spot-fix the problems year-to-year.
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 01-27-2008 at 07:25 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't see him listed on any FA lists that I've come across so at this point I don't know if he is one or not. He spent the first 3 years with Cleveland anchoring that tin foil offensive line they had for so many years there. I know they wanted to keep him so they must have felt pretty highly of him. This team builds through the draft for better or worse; lately it's been more for worse on day 2 atleast. I can't see them paying him anything decent if he is available; especially after getting burnt with Mahan this year.

hes the top FA center

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hes the top FA center
    that being the case then there's no way we'll go for him

Yeah lol

Pro Bowl #2 and Counting JoeThomas's Avatar
    faine would be a great addition. the only reason the browns traded him was cause they signed bentley. he isnt as good anywhere else and was too valueable as a backup so they dealt him to move up and get dqwell jackson. faine would be a great sign. but i think a team will overpay him.

Thread Information