Thread: Troy Polamalu gets his college degree

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Troy Polamalu gets his college degree

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-wp2029

Different NFL players are dealing with the lockout in different ways. While many are taking to different fields to get workouts in, a few are taking the first real offseasons they've had in decades to get a little finishing work done on their personal lives. Pittsburgh Steelers All-World safety Troy Polamalu(notes) is one of them; Polamalu returned to his alma mater of USC and completed his degree in history in time to take part in a ceremony with over 1,000 master's and undergraduate students on Friday.

Polamalu was drafted in 2003 after his senior season, but didn't have time to complete his degree before. The 30-year-old Polamalu posted his thoughts about the event on his website, www.troy43.com:

I'm thrilled to announce that on this cool, sunny Friday morning I donned a cap and gown, walked across the stage in the beautiful Alumni Park at University of Southern California, and was handed my diploma. I'm officially a USC graduate! While I feel excited and fulfilled, that's not really what I want to focus on in this message — I want to talk about the reason behind my decision to go back and finish what I started.

The majority of top picks in the NFL get drafted before they complete their college education. I truly love football and it's such an immense blessing and privilege as an athlete to be given the rare opportunity to use those talents at the highest professional level, but it's certainly not a replacement for an education. So I decided to finish what I started and walked that stage today not only because it was very important to me personally, but because I want to emphasize the importance of education, and that nothing should supersede it.

Polamalu is also sponsoring a Student of the Year program, which those interested in forwarding nominations can do so by following the directions on his website and sending nominations in by Tuesday, May 17.

On a personal note, I got to talk with Polamalu for a few minutes last year at the Nike 7-on-7 football camp in Portland, Oregon, and it's clear that he's one of the good guys. You'd have to go quite a while before you'd find a more centered and together individual in the NFL, and this is just another example of how he gets things done, and why he's been so successful — on the field and off.
    Congrats Troy!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's a great example to everyone that a guy who's got 2 super bowl rings and been so successful in the NFL still wanted to get his college degree. He'll never have to work a regular job in his life after football but regardless it was still important to him, a good lesson for everyone.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I am very happy to see that he officially completed his degree requirements and got is diploma. I have a degree and it gave me no bigger thrill to get mine. I am VERY HAPPY to see that even with his success he felt the need to graduate with degree in hand.
    CONGRATULATIONS TROY
    I hope even more success for you as a Steeler and as a person when your playing days are over!!
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

My Mood
    Love
    Ah chet babe, i was going to post this but you beat me to it. Proud of my boy. Job well done.

Thread Information