Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senior Bowl Day 1 recap

Bookmark and Share

Senior Bowl Day 1 recap

Senior Bowl Practice Recap - Day One
    Quote:
    Monday morning began with the individual weigh-ins, followed by afternoon practices for both the North and South teams...

I'll begin with the quarterbacks from the North team, consisting of the University of Michigan's Chad Henne, University of Delaware's Joe Flacco and University of Southern California's John David Booty.

Henne displayed the most accuracy of the group. His strong arm was apparent for passes within 20 yards, but when throwing the deep ball, he looked to finesse the ball too much, which led to putting more touch on the ball than necessary. Henne looked good on some plays, with the defense making him look better for other plays.

Flacco's size and speed was apparent in the first day of practice. Flacco, who stands in at 6-foot-6, was the most inaccurate of the three quarterbacks. For just about every one accurate pass, there would be five that were over thrown. During one of his final repetitions with the defense out there, Flacco fumbled the center exchange three consecutive times.

Booty wasn't as involved as the other two quarterbacks when it came to scrimmaging with the defense. He was in for one series where he was able to drop back and pass the ball. Prior to that, he was in handing the ball off to the running backs. Booty didn't do anything that impressed me today.
    The South quarterbacks are made up of University of Tennessee's Erik Ainge, University of Hawaii's Colt Brennan and University of Kentucky's Andre Woodson.

Overall, Ainge looked solid with his foot work in both the five- and seven-step drops as well as the rollout drill.

Brennan was the quarterback who struggled the most during the first days of practice. He had issues with his five- and seven-step drops, mostly on the seven-step. At one point the coach made him do it eight times before moving over to one of the other quarterbacks.

Andre Woodson struggled in only one area on the first day. During the rollout drills, he was asked to do it several times and "glance" instead of focusing too heavily on the fake portion of the rollout.

A few of the running backs that stood out this first day were the University of California-Berkeley's Justin Forsett. Forsett showed good quickness and hands, burning University of Nevada-Las Vegas' Beau Bell two times down the seam, hauling in both passes from Henne and turning them up field for what would have been six. One another occasion, Forsett's shiftiness got the better of University of Iowa's defensive back Charles Godfrey, causing him to crumble to the ground.

Owen Schmitt, who is a running back in a fullback's body, was the other ball carrier that stood out. Listed at 251 pounds, Schmitt showed better than average hands, pulling in several receptions and finishing one off those by trucking a cornerback to the ground on one play. Schmitt also showed that not only could he dish it out, but he can take it, after making a catch in the flat and getting his helmet knocked off by USC linebacker Keith Rivers. He promptly jumped up, took off downfield helmet-less and looking for more contact.

More from DraftHeadquarters.com:

Quote:
    Day One Practice Analysis

For the first practice of the week, I headed to Ladd-Pebbles Stadium to see the North team. Overall, the defensive lineman impressed me the most. There were a few that really struggled, while there were a couple of receivers that really looked good. Here's a look at which player's stood out the most today:

- Sedrick Ellis DT USC: There's a reason that Ellis is being projected as a lock for the Top 10 of this year's draft. His strength is unbelievable, and to see it in person is really a treat. He literally overpowered his opponent at least two or three times today. I was very impressed with him and expect him to be among the top players taken this year.

- Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina: Balmer is a player that a lot of people don't know about; however, that should change pretty quickly. Balmer possessed a nice combination of quickness and strength today as he he was another defensive lineman that had a great day. I really like his quick hands and his ability to find the ball.

- Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech: Royal had a few grabs today that were just sick. On one play he put a double move on the defender and sprinted up to the field to catch the ball in the back of the end zone. In another play he made a circus-like catch over a defender that had slipped to the ground, as got two feet down in bounds. He really opened some eyes today.

- Lavelle Hawkins WR California: Hawkins really displayed his ability to make plays today as he made a few acrobatic catches that most other receivers wouldn't be able to make. He showed good quickness and nice elusiveness in the open field.

- Thomas DeCoud S California: DeCoud quietly had a nice practice. I really like his ability to quickly get in and out of his breaks. He also showed nice hands in some of the individual drills for the defensive backs.

- DeMario Pressley DT NC State: I really like Pressley's quickness. He showed this today when he, on back-to-back plays, gave the lineman a quick juke-move and got into the backfield. He also showed quick hands.

- Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College: Cherilus was a beast today as he, from what I saw, didn't lose a single one-on-one battle with a defensive lineman. He has great size and showed the quickness and athleticism that you look for in a top offensive lineman. He also, at times, lined up at right tackle. I was very impressed with him today.

- Jamar Adams S Michigan: Adams struggled at times in coverage today, which really worries me, but he did have a couple of plays where he literally would have been on the "jacked up" highlight reel. On one play, West Virginia fullback Owen Schmitt caught the ball out of the backfield, turned up and field, and Adams was there to deliver the blow. Adams hit him so hard that Schmitt's helmet went flying off in the other direction. Adams' big hits today made up for his struggles in coverage.

- Adarius Bowman WR Oklahoma State: I was really unimpressed by Bowman today. He clearly showed his athleticism, which was nice, but he dropped at least three very catchable balls. This did not bode well for him and he had better step it up the rest of the week.

- Charles Godfrey CB Iowa, Terrence Wheatley CB Colorado: Both of these guys had a bit of a tough day. They both seemed to struggle a bit in coverage and each of them dropped a few passes in the individual drills. They both showed flashes at times, but overall they didn't have that great of a day.

- Drew Radovich OG USC: Radovich did not have a good day today as he really struggled in the one-on-one drills against the defensive lineman. He had a lot of trouble with Kentwan Balmer and DeMario Pressley. It'll be interesting to see how he does the rest of the week.

Results from the Senior Bowl Weigh-In:
    KEY: First number represents feet, second number represents inches, third number represents 8th of an inch.

Example: 6-2-3 would be 6-2 and 3/8ths of an inch

All names are listed alphabetically.

South Team:
    Erik Ainge, QB, Tennessee, 6-5-4,
    Donnie Avery, WR, Houston: 5-11-0, 186 lbs
    Heath Benedict, OL, Newberry: 6-4-6, 321 lbs
    Cole Bennett, TE, Auburn: 6-4-1, 246 lbs
    Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii: 6-2-2, 185 lbs
    Durant Brooks, P, Georgia Tech: 6-0-0, 205 lbs
    Titus Brown, DE, Mississippi State: 6-2-5, 239 lbs
    Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M: 6-4-6, 326 lbs
    Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida: 6-0-4, 207 lbs
    Simeon Castille, CB, Alabama: 5-11-6, 190 lbs
    Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia Tech: 5-10-5, 210 lbs
    Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee: 6-7-5, 271 lbs
    Oniel Cousins, OT, UTEP: 6-4-1, 301 lbs
    Brandon Coutu, K, Georgia: 5-11-2, 187 lbs
    Quintin Demps, S, UTEP: 5-11-6, 203 lbs
    Early Doucet, WR, LSU: 5-11-7, 211 lbs
    Harry Douglas, WR, Louisville: 5-11-1, 170 lbs
    Robert Felton, OG, Arkansas: 6-3-7, 313 lbs
    Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State: 6-1-7, 285 lbs
    Matt Forte, RB, Tulane: 6-1-1, 221 lbs
    Wallace Gilberry, DE, Alabama: 6-2-4, 263 lbs
    Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami (FL): 6-1-1, 233 lbs
    Marcus Griffin, S, Texas: 5-10-1, 198 lbs
    DJ Hall, WR, Alabama: 6-2-2, 190 lbs
    Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas: 6-2-6, 310 lbs
    Jacob Hester, RB, LSU: 5-10-5, 230 lbs
    Ali Highsmith, LB, LSU: 5-11-5, 229 lbs
    Peyton Hillis, FB, Arkansas: 6-0-7, 240 lbs
    Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU: 5-11-4, 188 lbs
    Steve Justice, C, Wake Forest: 6-3-2, 289 lbs
    Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton: 6-5-3, 275 lbs
    Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn: 5-11-7, 294 lbs
    Kory Lichtensteiger, C, Bowling Green: 6-2-3, 296 lbs
    Rafael Little, RB, Kentucky: 5-8-7, 194 lbs
    Mike McGlynn, OT, Pittsburgh: 6-4-3, 309 lbs
    Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy: 5-10-5, 190 lbs
    Ben Moffitt, LB, South Florida: 5-1-0, 231 lbs
    Dre Moore, DT, Maryland: 6-1-0, 231 lbs
    Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson: 6-6-3, 331 lbs
    Darrell Robertson, DE, Georgia Tech: 6-3-7, 247 lbs
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State: 6-1-3, 183 lbs
    Garrison Sanborn, LS, Florida State: 5-11-7, 239 lbs
    Limas Sweed, WR, Texas: 6-4-0, 212 lbs
    Jacob Tamme, TE, Kentucky: 6-3-6, 234 lbs
    Jeremy Thompson, DE, Wake Forest: 6-4-3, 264 lbs
    Cody Wallace, C, Texas A&M: 6-4-1, 290 lbs
    Philip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech: 6-2-0, 245 lbs
    Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt: 6-6-1, 320 lbs
    DJ Wolfe, S, Oklahoma: 5-10-6, 200 lbs
    Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky: 6-4-2, 234 lbs
    Wesley Woodyard, LB, Kentucky: 6-0-5, 219 lbs

North Team:
    Jamar Adams, S, Michigan: 6-2-2, 209 lbs
    Xavier Adibi, LB, Virginia Tech: 6-1-5, 220 lbs
    Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue: 6-3-0. 252 lbs
    Sam Baker, OT, USC: 6-4-4, 308 lbs
    Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina: 6-4-4, 308 lbs
    Kirk Barton, OT, USC: 6-4-3, 308 lbs
    Beau Bell, LB, UNLV: 6-1-5, 243 lbs
    John David Booty, QB, USC: 6-2-3, 213 lbs
    Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State: 6-2-7, 220 lbs
    Dorien Bryant, WR, Purdue: 5-9-5, 169 lbs
    Tim Bugg, LS, Indiana: 6-0-0, 255 lbs
    Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College: 6-6-5, 315 lbs
    Dan Connor, LB, Penn State: 6-2-5, 233 lbs
    Shawn Crable, LB, Michigan: 6-5-1, 241 lbs
    Bruce Davis, DE, UCLA: 6-2-5, 241 lbs
    Fred Davis, TE, USC: 6-2-5, 250 lbs
    Kellen Davis, TE, Michigan State: 6-6-2, 259 lbs
    Thomas DeCoud, S, California: 6-1-4, 196 lbs
    Jordan Dizon, LB, Colorado: 5-11-7, 228 lbs
    Mike Dragosavich, P, North Dakota State: 6-5-2, 207 lbs
    Chris Ellis, DE, Virginia Tech: 6-4-2, 260 lbs
    Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC: 6-0-7, 308 lbs
    Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware: 6-6-2, 232 lbs
    Justin Forsett, RB, California: 5-7-6, 190 lbs
    Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa: 5-11-6, 207 lbs
    Lavelle Hawkins, WR, California: 5-11-1, 187 lbs
    Chad Henne, QB, Michigan: 6-2-7, 228 lbs
    Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC: 6-4-3, 261 lbs
    Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina: 5-10-4, 195 lbs
    Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan: 6-5-1, 272 lbs
    Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame: 6-0-7, 297 lbs
    Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State: 6-2-5, 215 lbs
    Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska: 6-4-7, 343 lbs
    Mike Pollak, C, Arizona State: 6-3-3, 299 lbs
    Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana: 5-10-5, 184 lbs
    DeMario Pressley, DT, NC State: 6-3-2, 300 lbs
    Drew Radovich, OG, USC: 6-4-3, 302 lbs
    Chad Rinehart, OT, Northern Iowa: 6-5-2-, 317 lbs
    Keith Rivers, LB, USC: 6-1-7, 236 lbs
    Eddie Royal, WR, Virginia Tech: 5-9-5, 182 lbs
    Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri: 6-4-6, 248 lbs
    Dantrell Savage, RB, Oklahoma State: 5-8-2, 187 lbs
    Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia: 6-1-6, 247 lbs
    Roy Scheuning, OG, Oregon State: 6-3-5, 308 lbs
    Alexis Serna, K, Oregon State: 5-6-4, 168 lbs
    Marcus Smith, WR, New Mexico: 6-0-7, 214 lbs
    John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame: 6-3-3, 294 lbs
    Terrell Thomas, CB, USC: 6-0-3, 197 lbs
    DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College: 5-8-4, 190 lbs
    Chauncey Washington, RB, USC: 5-11-4, 215 lbs
    Terrence Wheatley, CB, Colorado: 5-9-3, 187 lbs
    Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame: 5-11-1, 209 lbs

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College: Cherilus was a beast today as he, from what I saw, didn't lose a single one-on-one battle with a defensive lineman. He has great size and showed the quickness and athleticism that you look for in a top offensive lineman. He also, at times, lined up at right tackle. I was very impressed with him today.
    Yes he was!! He really looked good, especially against some of the speed rushers. Day 2 practices are on NFL Network @ 4:30pm today.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My observations after 2 North Squad practices.

North Squad STOCK-UP (so far)

• Sedrick Ellis, DT/NT, USC - Showing quickness, perfect technique and leverage. Easily the best player there.
    • Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College - Showing his mean streak, shutting down everyone. Looks to be the best OT there.
    • Charles Godfrey, CB/S, Iowa - Showing great technique and ball skills. Fluid hips.
    • Eddie Royal, WR/KR, Virginia Tech - Exploding off the line, running crisp routes, running by corners and catching the ball well.
    • Terrell Thomas, CB/S, USC - Looks like a shut down corner. Technique is almost perfect.
    • Jordan Dizon, OLB/ILB, Colorado - Diagnosing plays and running to the ball well. Best tackler of the LB group.
    • Mike Pollack, C, Arizona State - Playing low with good leverage and technique. Seems to have pretty good feet.
    • Keith Rivers, OLB, USC - His athletism is on display. Runs like a deer. Dropping well into coverage.
    • Chad Henne, QB, Michigan - Easily the best QB of the 3 on the North Squad. Thowing well, displaying great footwork.
    • Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame - Playing low, '"gettin small," quick off the snap and uses hands well.
    • DeMario Pressley, DE/DT, N.C. State - Showing strength, firing off the ball, playing low.
    • Lavelle Hawkins, WR, California - Quick off the line of scrimmage, quick breaks, catching well.

North Squad STOCK-DOWN (so far)

• DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College - Measured in at only 5-8, bitting on double moves.
    • Dorian Bryant, WR, Purdue - Stuggling against press coverage.
    • Beau Bell, ILB, UNLV - Trouble reading and reacting, struggling in pass coverage. Plays too high.
    • Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan - Very raw with basically no technique. Lot of upside, but will be a project.
    • Chris Ellis, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech - Struggling to get off block, playing too high.
    • Fred Davis, TE, USC - Actually looks really good in practice, running nice routes but only measured in at 6-2.5.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Terrell Thomas, CB/S, USC - Looks like a shut down corner. Technique is almost perfect
    I seen a couple of plays where he didn't look back (he would fit in good with our secondary...lol) and the WR caught the ball, but he was there stride for stride.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Cherilus has been ****ing awesome, he was my early favorite lineman and hes showing why

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Cherilus has been ****ing awesome, he was my early favorite lineman and hes showing why
    he's who i'm hoping we get, but damn it, his stock is gonna be rising to high lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Damn I love the Senior bowl, you can really get a good look at the guys close up in contact and focus on how they are doing. I've seen 3 mocks already that show us taking Cherilus ..I'd do a back flip if we got him !

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Damn I love the Senior bowl, you can really get a good look at the guys close up in contact and focus on how they are doing. I've seen 3 mocks already that show us taking Cherilus ..I'd do a back flip if we got him !
    Cherilus is a good player and Boston College has a good track record at producing NFL OL............But many think he is a RT at the NFL level......I'm not saying he can't play LT.....I would just prefer to draft a LT that is great at pass protection......But if Cherilus is drafted and if he is just a RT at the NFL level...I won't complain since he would upgrade or OL no matter what......

hes been playing primarily on the left during the senior bowl and dominating some top competition

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hes been playing primarily on the left during the senior bowl and dominating some top competition
    True but he also played LT this past season and struggled some what....Dude I won't complain if the Steelers draft him...He is a good player and Boston College has a the track record of producing OL.........Just saying I would prefer Chris Williams who seems to be better at pass protection...Now I'm not saying Cherilus won't ever be a dominant pass protecting LT at the NFL level....I'm just bringing up some of his question marks...

He is mauler though and will be badass OT at the NFL level period....

Thread Information