Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistically too many needs to fill in 1 offseason?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Realistically too many needs to fill in 1 offseason?

When you look at this team, the starting groups on both offense and defense should be pretty decent in 2008. Obviously the OL will have a new look to some degree next year but when you look at all the need areas we have; unless Colbert & Tomlin use FA we may just have too many needs to fill in 1 offseason.

Center
    OG
    OT
    DE
    ILB
    OLB
    WR
    Possibly RB

We only have so many day 1 picks and anything past the 4th round in recent history has proven to be nothing more than a spare tackling dummy in Latrobe. If this team wants to get itself situated to compete in 2008 they are going to have to bring in some real FA's and not just some scrubs to overpay for. If we actually pulled say, oh a New England, this offseason we would go out and get ourselves a few FA's to come in and help out while draftees get ready or while we concentrate on other areas in 2008 and let the FA's hold down the fort and then address those needs in 2009.

I would love to see us go after a veteran WR like L.J. Smith, Bernard Berrian, D.J. Hackett , Drew Carter, Jerome Mathis,etc . These guys are productive enough to push Nate to be a better player and that would give us 4 legitimate targets at WR for Ben to have at his disposal along with Heath and Matt at TE. Most of those FA's are big guys that Ben has been asking for and all of them are or have been productive for their teams. That would give us 1 less thing to worry about draft wise this year that we could shoot for in 2009.

Once Woodley takes over at OLB and TImmons pushes Foote for more time then we are left with very little depth once again. BG4vr was mentioning about taking another LB, Im all for that and we may need to for sure but I just don't know how you can address this area and all the others without going into FA and getting quality players which is somethign Colbert refuses to do.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-21-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Do i think we have too many issues for one offseason!?!?!? NOPE!!! I like your point about picking up a Quality guy or 2 in FA! Berrian would be a dream come true in my eyes!!!! A tall WR that get verticle in a hurry (the true definition of a "deep threat") would open up underneath for Holmes, Ward and Heath!!! L.J. Smith is good but if we sign another TE ill throw up!!! I would like to get a Solid back up at DL, maybe a aging starter looking to go to a playoff caliber team. The more we can do in FA for a fair price the better served will be come draft time... if we hibernate like we usually do come march-april, this draft could be a dissapointment no matter who we get!!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah LG Smith probably shouldn't be on that list, but he plays more like a WR and less like a TE for the Eagles.

Overall this team just has not drafted well beyond the 3rd round in the last 5 years atleast and now it's haunting us to where we need so much depth at key areas that Im not confident enough in our drafting ability to fill them all right now.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I don't think so..... If you bring in the right players we will get the motivation out of the guys that know they have to step up to keep their position and that's how the Steelers always done things.

Look at Haggans, he's a FA and if he would of preformed to par they would have signed him but Woodley has shown that he can take over and leave Haggans *** out.
    It only takes 5-6 guys to threat'n other players to get the most out of them. Being the steelers and our salary cap, I would bring in cheaper guys that would play their asses off than some over paid guy that would be known for what he can do.
    Tom Brady is a perfect example,6 round pick now going to what, 4th SB.
    Point is we don't have money and can't do alot but with right picks we'll get others to step up and earn their keeps

I think Cornelius Ingram would have been good player for us.I think he could have helped spread the field ,he's big and very athletic and he could play multiple positions. Berrian would be a good fit if we could get him at a good price.
    Last edited by Mike Tomlin; 01-21-2008 at 04:14 PM.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Tailgate Coordinator
    Well, Rome wasn't built in a day either. I think we can fill most of them needs. Abnd some as you stated are OK. RB wise I think we can get away with 1 more season.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The key to that will be how much experince can we get Russel to see how much of a viable option he is. We know Najeh can do a good job but he's got to get more involved. Relying on 1 main player to carry the load is a disaster waiting to happen and this year it did when Willie went down because nobody else had any significant carriers to speak of.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I don't know how the OLB and ILB are needs heading into 2008...We just spent two top picks on LBs this past draft...lol Even if Timmons beats out Foote I doubt Foote is cut in 08....So he will be the main backup at ILB......If Timmons doesn't beat out Foote.....Then I'm sure he will sub at both OLB and ILB.....Plus the usual suspects like Kreidwaldt, Arnold Harrison will be back with the team....I'm not saying don't draft another LB....Sure in the second day of the draft if a decent LB prospect is there then why not draft another LB for depth.....But I just don't see LB as a huge need....

OL and DL are probably the biggest needs on the team....As for WR and RB...The team is fine with the players they have...But I would just like to see more talent added to the roster at both positions...More so at WR.....

As for the WRs you mentioned as FAs....Only one I really like is Berrian....I liked him at Fresno State when he played there and he has been solid with the Bears...Being since I'm so close to Chicago I know all about Benard Berrian....I would pass on all the others you mentioned.....I like Hackett but he is hurt all the time...lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    OL and DL are definitely the biggest needs on this team. LB is a need not so much on the inside but on the outside. Arnold Harrison is the only viable backup right now with Wood and Timmons ready to go. I would want us to go with atleast 1 OLB in this draft just for depth reasons now that Haggans is gone. Im ok with the inside depth now because the loser of the Foote/Timmons battle will be the main backup there. If Timmons loses then he can backup the outside but then we're short again if somebody goes down.

Ali highsmith in the 3rd would be sweet lol

Thread Information