Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Willie Parker and the stable of RB's

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Willie Parker and the stable of RB's

OK, IMHO here Willie isn't as overrated as many people think. Let's analyze this here for just quick second.

2005 - Willie is splitting carries with Jerome on their way to the super bowl, still young and learning his craft. 255/1,202 yds. 4 TD's

2006 - He's on a team that totally collapses for the first 8 games of the season and then gets it back together for the 2nd half. Ben is getting killed, has no time to throw the ball, the offensive line is really showing signs of degredation. 337/1,494 yds 13 TD's

2007 - The offensive line is horrific, Ben is getting killed again, injuries to key players, it's a transition time on this team with new coaches and a new offense. 321/1,316 yds 2 TD's.

My point is here that Willie gets the job done on teams that for 2-3 years he's been taking a significant amount of carries for have been underachieving and falling apart in key areas. He's not a Jerome Bettis, he's not a smash runner, that's not what this team is anymore. The days of Franco, Bam, Foster, and Jerome are gone now. This team is a pass to set up the run, a mirror image of what the Colts offense is.

Having said that does Willie need to work on things? of course he does !

-stop the fumbling
    -learn to see the field better
    -learn to use his FB better
    -learn to adjust his style to suit field conditions; you can't always cut hard and make pivots on a dime in a swamp.

He does need to share carries more with Davenport or possibly even Russel too. This team maybe considers getting another RB in the draft unless they are happy with Russel. If they are then get the kid more carries. Willie can't be having so many carries heading into the playoffs because if he does go down we see the scenario that unfolded this year with the starting jobs going to a bunch of guys that rarely see the ball. Willie isn't perfect but he's not the overrated schlump that some thing he is. If this kid gets an offensive line that can run block worth a **** and he continues to improve his game, the sky is the limit.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I do feel Willie is overrated. Does that mean I don't think Willie is good? Absolutely not. I like Willie and I think he is talented. I just think Willie is better in a 1-2 punch situation. I don't think he is an every down back and I think the Steelers need a power guy to compliment him. I don't think Najeh is that guy though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 1-2 combo at ri-unning back. Maybe sign a free agent or Russell can step up as I have never been a fan of the super pooper.

FWP needs to be more cosistent...it was feast or famine...lot of it was the line, or lack thereof...the FB first contact should be with a LB or FS not a DL, that is the center, OG< OT job...with better line play, his numbers get more consistent, imo...still need another though, maybe like him...I thought Najeh was tougher than what he showed, maybe it was me, but he seemed soft, awkward at times..no back looked comfortable behind that line all year...russell and davis showed flashes of promise, but they did not get near enough opportunities do the job, late in games, on third and forevers, and plays from the third page...should have used them alot more in preparation for '08...give them their gameskin..
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBenGo View Post
    FWP needs to be more cosistent...it was feast or famine...lot of it was the line, or lack thereof...the FB first contact should be with a LB or FS not a DL, that is the center, OG< OT job...with better line play, his numbers get more consistent, imo...still need another though, maybe like him...I thought Najeh was tougher than what he showed, maybe it was me, but he seemed soft, awkward at times..no back looked comfortable behind that line all year...russell and davis showed flashes of promise, but they did not get near enough opportunities do the job, late in games, on third and forevers, and plays from the third page...should have used them alot more in preparation for '08...give them their gameskin..
    Please explain the word consistent to me. If you gave Willie the ball this year, it was an almost guarantee'd 4 yards. He only had 11 20+ yards carries, and none of those went for over 40 yards.

Willie's problems fall on the line, not Willie.

My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    Please explain the word consistent to me. If you gave Willie the ball this year, it was an almost guarantee'd 4 yards. He only had 11 20+ yards carries, and none of those went for over 40 yards.

Willie's problems fall on the line, not Willie.
    i agree 100% i think willie has been great these last couple of years i mean what more could you ask for??? i do agree with tg though i think he does need to learn to use is fb a little better!

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoWard View Post
    i agree 100% i think willie has been great these last couple of years i mean what more could you ask for??? i do agree with tg though i think he does need to learn to use is fb a little better!
    Willie is not perfect by any means. He still has a long way to go, but considering how raw he is, I'll take him over 95% of the RB's in this league.

My Mood
    Horny
    Willie is not perfect by any means. He still has a long way to go, but considering how raw he is, I'll take him over 95% of the RB's in this league.
    oh yeah i agree he is not perfect! he still has a lot to learn but i think he fits in well with our offense. i also think if we ever got a half way decent line he would be absoulutely sick!!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

The dude does have things to work on with his game, mainly being able to see the field better and set up his blocking but he's certainly no slouch in this league and if hecan get a line to block for him he'll be putting up crazy numbers for us.

We do need more production from him in the redzone, only 2 TD's from your starting back is not a good thing; a lot of that can be attributed to the line play of course but also some of that falls on Willie for either fumbling or not seeing the blocking the way he needs to. He has this habit of just running up into the pile and falling down instead of using the field to his advantage and bouncing it outside more often in the redzone.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Our OL was worse this year then last year, especially with run blocking. FWP still has a lot to learn with his vision and knowing where the holes are or should be. With the way the OL played, Davenport did look a little better at the end of the season but thats because he has more experience and is a bigger body to get through the holes that were barely there. TEEMONT has a good point, his YPC is around 4 yards and thats without any big runs to jack that up. Tomlin said he would run the wheels off of FWP and he did, but if Willie would've had a better or comparable season to 2006, a lot of critics would be silenced (not all, but a lot lol).

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information