Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben on ... Alan Faneca, his contract and his wish list for 2008

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Big Ben on ... Alan Faneca, his contract and his wish list for 2008

Ben Roethlisberger has three desires as he enters the offseason: A tall wide receiver, the return of guard Alan Faneca, and a new contract as soon as possible.

The contract most likely will be worked out, even if it does not occur as quickly as the Steelers quarterback might prefer. The other two are more problematic.

Faneca becomes an unrestricted free agent Feb. 29, and while the Steelers plan to talk to his agent before then, even director of football operations Kevin Colbert noted Monday that "the price most likely has gone up."

Still, Roethlisberger made his pitch to management that they try to keep his All-Pro guard, who has been a linchpin of the offensive line for a decade.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Roethlisberger said yesterday. "That's hard for me, there could be an outlying story, something here or there I don't know about. But they do know how I feel about it. They know how valuable he is."

He also knows that a similar plea he made to keep 6-5 receiver Plaxico Burress when he became an unrestricted free agent three years ago went unheeded.

Now Roethlisberger has made another appeal for the Steelers to acquire another tall wide receiver. His top three receivers are Hines Ward, listed as 6 feet, 5-11 Santonio Holmes and 6-1 Nate Washington.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines? Or Santonio? Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11, now."

The Steelers do have tall tight ends in 6-5 Heath Miller and 6-7 Matt Spaeth, but Roethlisberger would like to spot a taller target at wide receiver as well.

"It's nice to have a bailout guy, you know when you're in trouble and you just kind of throw it up. In the red zone its nice to have a guy like that. Obviously, we have a guy like Nate who can jump out of this world. He can jump so high. It's nice to have that.

"But to have a big guy who can create mismatches -- the same thing happened when Plax was here. So much presence went to Plax's side just because he's a big, good receiver, that Hines was always open or Antwaan [Randle El]. I just think it would open stuff up for us a lot more."

Part of it also has to do with the physics of the forward pass when he delivers it.

"I'm 6-5," Roethlisberger noted. "I throw down to a lot of these guys. You see so many times Hines reaching up and I'm getting him killed because he's reaching up for balls and I'm just throwing it on my plane. To have someone on the same plane as me would just make my job ... I wouldn't get Hines killed going across the middle all the time."

Roethlisberger said he has talked to the Steelers about it and that "we'll probably look for some guys in free agency, I would assume, look in there and see what we can find."

He also said that 6-3 Dallas Baker, a seventh-round draft pick from Florida who spent his rookie season on the Steelers' practice squad, might ultimately help in that regard.

"As soon as he gets out of that wide receiver funk of just running routes on a card, he has the potential to be pretty good," Roethlisberger said.

The quarterback has two years left on the contract he signed as a rookie in 2004, and both sides acknowledge that this is the year to extend it. He would prefer that to happen sooner rather than later.

"I'm eager, anxious because I want to get it done with, I want to say let's go, let's get it over with so the talks can stop, people can stop bugging me about it. Because I just want to play football. Let's get it over with, let's get it done so I can get right back into football and not think about it and not have people talking about it all the time."

His agent, Ryan Tollner, wanted to try to extend the deal a year ago, but the Steelers preferred to wait. No talks have yet been scheduled as far as Roethlisberger knows.

"My guys are waiting for that call," Roethlisberger said. "We don't want to push it. We are waiting to hear something from them.

"I don't know what to expect because you hear so many different stories from guys who have been here before and the media."

Might he take a Tom Brady-like stance where he does not demand as much as he might be able to get in order to save salary-cap room so the Steelers can sign others?

"You know what? I'm not even dealing with that right now," Roethlisberger said. "I'm always going to do what's best for this team."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08016/849486-66.stm

that last part is an obvious sign he cares more about the money then saving cap to sign other players...... that was a guttless way to say no lol......

and what a fag, use heath as the bail out you ****ing moron.......him getting hit in head with that windshield has made him a retard lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I don't think that statement by Ben showed he cares more about the money.....I just think that statement by Ben is the typical answer by all athletes when they talk about their contract status....They always say I don't deal with that my agent does...

About Big Ben wanting a big WR......I'll never understand why you can't understand what a tall WR does for an offense...I'm not talking just a tall WR...I'm talking a tall WR that can actually play....It would open things up for everybody in the passing game.....Ward,Holmes and Miller.....

Ben wants that Big WR so when he does get pressure he can just scramble out of it and just throw it up down field like he did when Plax was here in 2004.....Ben would just escape the pressure and chuck the ball down field 40 yards to Plax.....

I'm not one of those people that think just draft a WR since he is tall....Thats retarded....Really I don't care how tall a WR just as long as the guy can play....But finding a badass big physical WR that creates separation would do wonders for this offense....Along with rebuilding the OL....Those two things happen the Steelers offense will be unstoppable....

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Having any receiver that draws double coverage would be a great plus. I've said this before, a tall WR would compliment Ben's throwing style and if he could scare the D's in this league, like you said Danny, along with fixing our OL, our O would be unstoppable. I don't see Ben as a greedy guy who would put himself before the team. They'll get something together that will satisfy both sides.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben is just trying to say the right thing and not step on any toes before the talks even begin. I don't read anything else into it other than that.

As far as a tall WR, every QB does want that and we do have our own version of the 80's Redskin smurfs out there running around but they make plays and you can't deny that. He should use Heath and Matt more on those fade routes in the corner of the endzone. They seem to only ever use them on short crossing routes in the endzone when they are close to the goal line.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_547648.html

By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008

If Ben Roethlisberger gets his wish, the next NFL move he'll make will be to Canton, Ohio, following a long and distinguished career with the Steelers.
    "I would love to retire here," Roethlisberger said on Tuesday. "I would love to go the Hall of Fame in a Steelers jersey. That would be an ultimate goal. I want to do what (Dan) Marino, (Jim) Kelly, (John) Elway and all those guys did -- play with one team their whole career."

Roethlisberger is hoping to move one step closer toward realizing that goal this offseason by agreeing to a long-term contract extension with the Steelers.

"I'm sure we'll talk to him soon," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said.

Roethlisberger has two years remaining on his initial deal.
    "The quarterback position is one position we've addressed two years prior to free agency," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "Obviously, Ben has done some great things for our organization. We expect him to accomplish even greater things moving forward.

"Although we have not as of yet entered into official negotiations, we would anticipate that beginning in the very near future."

Roethlisberger set several Steelers records this season, including most touchdown passes in a season (32).

"I just want to get it over with, truthfully," Roethlisberger said. "I never really think about it except when people bring it up to me. Everywhere I go it's, 'What's going on with the contract?'

"I don't really know. I just want to play football, and I want to get started thinking about that. So the sooner we can get talking and get this over with, the better for me."

Roethlisberger is scheduled to earn $1,356,500 in 2008 and $1,707,000 in 2009 in base salary. He is due bonuses of $2.95 million in 2008 and $8 million in 2009.

Tony Romo of Dallas reportedly signed a six-year, $67.5 million contract, with $30 million guaranteed, in October.

Marc Bulger of St. Louis reportedly signed a six-year, $65 million deal, with $27 million guaranteed, in July.

Neither has started for a Super Bowl champion, as Roethlisberger did in 2005.

"You always know what other guys are making because everyone blasts it all over the place," Roethlisberger said. "You know that Romo just did a deal. You know what Peyton (Manning) made a couple years ago (a reported $99.2 million over nine years, with a $34.5 million signing bonus). You know what's going on. It's crazy.

"I don't really know how all that stuff works out with what's guaranteed and how you do this. I don't even deal with that. That's why you hire agents."

Notes: All-Pro guard Alan Faneca, among others, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at 12:01 a.m. on Feb. 29. "We've left the door open," Colbert said. "They did; we did. Where it goes, I don't know." ... The Steelers signed defensive tackle Scott Paxson to their reserve/future list. Paxson, a former rookie-free agent from Penn State, has spent time on the Steelers' practice squad the past two seasons.

My Mood
    Horny
    personaly i think the steelers are nuts if they don't re-sign faneca i mean ben had a great year but, man he took a beating this year and that was with faneca. we can give ben all the money in the world but he is only going to be as good as our O line lets him!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I don't think that statement by Ben showed he cares more about the money.....I just think that statement by Ben is the typical answer by all athletes when they talk about their contract status....They always say I don't deal with that my agent does...

About Big Ben wanting a big WR......I'll never understand why you can't understand what a tall WR does for an offense...I'm not talking just a tall WR...I'm talking a tall WR that can actually play....It would open things up for everybody in the passing game.....Ward,Holmes and Miller.....

Ben wants that Big WR so when he does get pressure he can just scramble out of it and just throw it up down field like he did when Plax was here in 2004.....Ben would just escape the pressure and chuck the ball down field 40 yards to Plax.....

I'm not one of those people that think just draft a WR since he is tall....Thats retarded....Really I don't care how tall a WR just as long as the guy can play....But finding a badass big physical WR that creates separation would do wonders for this offense....Along with rebuilding the OL....Those two things happen the Steelers offense will be unstoppable....
    if he was a smart qb, instead of being a ****tard and only wanting to get 40 yard gains, he'd just do a quick 10 yard pass to heath, and heath can do the rest...........everyone crying for a tall wr is retarded to me, cause everyone acts like they are easy to fine, most become bums, the only way you can get a decent one is if you draft high, and then in 5 years the rooneys just let them go, so it's pointless to cry for one............just throw the damn ball to heath and stop trying to throw it 80 yards every play
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

A tall wide receiver,

I believe someone reading the article that continues to disagree about the big wr is mentally challenged. I will not get into name calling...Or stupid online wars.

Ben has a comfort zone with a big Wr's...I believe I would attempt to accommodate my Pro Bowl Qb.

The Rules are skewed towards big strong Wr's in todays NFl.

I can understand Ben wanting a tall WR, the problem with using Miller as his bail out is Miller is sometimes held back at the line to help hold off the pass rush so he's not always down field.

Ben seems down to earth and might be all about the money now, but IMO if the Steelers can keep on winning and Ben remains happy with the organization he'll start to realize he'll need to give up some of that big contract to help the team remain competitive. He's still young right now but he'll eventually come around... especially if he plans to retire a Steeler!

A Big quality Wr can effect a defense.

First you must roll coverage towards the Wr. Or play him in Man. The rules say your corner cant touch my Wr after 5 yards...Say hello to my fade, slant, fade stop, corner and flag routes if you try to man him up.(the difference between a big Wr and smallish Wr running these routes is simple...A quality corner can abuse Holmes Harrison Wayne for those first 5 yards...Moss Owens Jackson Johnson abuse the corners...Plus there bigger stronger men who know where the ball is going...Body position is key in todays NFL)

If you play 8 in the box...That means my Te is in man coverage against a linebacker or a safety who is up to play the run... my Other Wr is man coverage against your #2 corner. Say hello to Heath Miller and Santonio Holmes

Your limited with cover 2 looks...If your Mike Backer is bailing I will run power football at you all day long.

Cover 4...Say hello to my smoke routes...Have your 185-190 pound corner take on my 230 pound Wr...He may last 2 quarters

Run blocking and Red Zone production is obvious

Thread Information