Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scout.com Top 100 prospect rankings

Bookmark and Share
    yeah lets activate stapleton so we can have 2 centers with bum status

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If we get a Tackle and a Center then we don't have to play musical lineman so much because we have more options available to us other than what's on the roster now. I don't know if Stapleton is the answer or not but he may be and if has taken advantage of this season and has himself ready to go he might be a gem. Either way I would hate to us pass up a Center depending on who falls to us.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    If we get a Tackle and a Center then we don't have to play musical lineman so much because we have more options available to us other than what's on the roster now. I don't know if Stapleton is the answer or not but he may be and if has taken advantage of this season and has himself ready to go he might be a gem. Either way I would hate to us pass up a Center depending on who falls to us.

Tom Marino, scout.com lead analyst
    "Wake Forest's Steve Justice is a good technician and a solid zone blocker, but is going to really struggle with big people on his nose."
    This from a very reputable NFL scout about the #1 rated center in this years draft. This a very weak class for guards and centers. Maybe take 2 tackles. This class is deep at tackle. We might be able to swing Williams from Vanderbilt and Gosder Cherilus from Boston College. If we had 2 good rookie tackles we would still open up a lot more options for ourselves. We have an abundance of guards that could potentially convert to center (other than Mahan).
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    This from a very reputable NFL scout about the #1 rated center in this years draft. This a very weak class for guards and centers. Maybe take 2 tackles. This class is deep at tackle. We might be able to swing Williams from Vanderbilt and Gosder Cherilus from Boston College. If we had 2 good rookie tackles we would still open up a lot more options for ourselves. We have an abundance of guards that could potentially convert to center (other than Mahan).
    Right, Justice is more suited for a ZBS scheme like Denver runs. As far as Cherilus goes, pretty much rule him out as a future Steeler because he's pretty limited to playing RT at the next level. He really struggles against speed and hard inside moves. Anyone see the first Va Tech/Boston College game? Chris Ellis ate him alive that game. The Steelers seem to prefer versatile offensive linemen. Look at their picks over the last couple years. Colon and Essex have both played OT and OG. That said I feel Colon is best suited to play RG and Chris Kemoeatu looks to be the future LG. I expect the Steelers to like Sam Baker and Chris Williams. Baker is the most versatile of the 2 because he could play 4 of the 5 OL positions. Williams could kick inside and play OG, but is probably best at OT. If they are looking for a future LT then it's probably Williams. If they are looking for versatility and a guy who can compete anywhere it's probably Baker. My personal favorite prospect as far as the centers go is Adam Spieker from Missouri. Arizona State center Mike Pollack has been impressive at the Sr. Bowl.

NO MORE
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I knew I had to be on my toes." - Lt. Frank Drevin

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBenGo View Post
    NO MORE

Love your pic! I have been calling Mahan turnstile all year.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Going on the assumptions that our first 3 picks will be in the neighborhood of 23rd, 54th, and 85th. Here are my first 3 picks for the upcoming draft.

1. Chris Williams, OT, 6-6, 320, Vanderbilt (with the 23rd overall pick)

The best offensive lineman nobody has ever heard of, Williams allowed one sack during the entire 2006 season, which occurred in the first game of the year against Michigan. Williams didn't allow another sack in the next 11 games. He has played well so far this season and if he continues to progress, he will be mentioned among the elite linemen in this class.

2. Branden Albert, OG, 6-6, 320, Virginia (with the 54th overall pick)

Albert is a huge prospect with nimble feet and the versatility to play four of the five line positions. His productivity and skills resulted in him being voted as a co-captain of the Cavaliers squad as a junior as well as allowing him to be named a third-team All-American. Albert needs to work harder in the weight-room to maximize his potential, but there’s no denying he’s got all the tools to be an outstanding value-selection in the late second or early third round.

3. Philip Merling, DE, 6-5, 280, Clemson (with the 85th overall pick)

One player that has intriguing ability and is still developing is Clemson junior defensive end Phillip Merling. At 6-foot-5, 280-pounds, Merling is a tremendous run defender who makes plays in the backfield. He's quick off the snap, plays with leverage, and alters the opposition's offensive direction. He uses his hands effectively and has good range in pursuit. He has great balance, rarely gets knocked off his feet, and is fast off the edge. He's a durable defender who has started every game the last two seasons. Playing in all 12 games this season, Merling recorded 73 tackles (50 solo, 23 assisted), 16 for a loss and 6.5 sacks. If Merling declares for the draft, he'll receive Day One consideration and is a probable second-round selection.

4. Joseph Bryant, DT, 6-4, 330, Texas A&M (with the 116th overall pick)

Bryant is a massive load in the trenches and played well this week. He played well in the game and showed surprising agility and quickness inside. He uses his size to his advantage and possesses strong hands that help him shed blocks. He got a good push up the middle and made plays in the backfield. He moved well laterally and was solid in pursuit. He has a nose for the ball and hustled to recover a John David Booty fumble. Bryant is one of the bigger DTs available in the draft and is a perfect interior presence for a 3-4 scheme. He went from an early second-day pick to a mid-to-late first-day selection.

Here is my revised list of picks. 1. OT 2. OG 3. DE 4. DT

Thread Information