Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scout.com Top 100 prospect rankings

Bookmark and Share
    Mississippi offensive tackle Michael Oher will skip his senior season and enter the 2008 NFL draft.

The all-Southeastern Conference player made the announcement in a statement issued by Ole Miss.

"I just felt it was time for me to move on and pursue options to do new things," Oher said. "Attending Ole Miss was a positive experience for me, and I had a good time."

Oher started 34 straight games for the Rebels in three years, leading the way for two consecutive 1,000-yard seasons by tailback BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

The 6-foot-5, 325-pound Memphis, Tenn., native was the subject of Michael Lewis' book, "The Blind Side." The best-seller chronicled Oher's rise from homeless teenager to one of the most coveted recruits in the nation.

Waterboy
    So, how is Jenkins overrated?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This draft is so deep at offensive line this year that we have absolutely no excuse for not taking advantage of it. This is the year of the line on this team, both sides of the ball. We can set ourselves up for years to come with a good, solid draft this year.

I like where you are going with addressing the OL and DL early on in this draft, assuming both Faneca and Starks don't return I don't think we have much choice but to do so. If that is indeed the case I'd trade your 3rd round pick for a Guard like Chilo Rachal or Drew Radovich depending on how much of a run there are at Guards in the 2nd round. Most of the Centers available should be there in round 3 so we could get a real good one if we played our cards right.

Waterboy
    yeah we know sean mahan sucks thats why the bucs got rid of him lol. and i think this list is off because kevin smith from ucf is the real deal. he plays like barry sanders. and came close to this guys record this year i think he is the second best rb in the draft. and i hope he goes late cause tampa could get him in 2nd or 3rd round.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by buccaneers#1fan View Post
    yeah we know sean mahan sucks thats why the bucs got rid of him lol. and i think this list is off because kevin smith from ucf is the real deal. he plays like barry sanders. and came close to this guys record this year i think he is the second best rb in the draft. and i hope he goes late cause tampa could get him in 2nd or 3rd round.
    Sean Mahan needs to be shot period..... Or beaten to death with a hammer......

This is a deep RB draft so Smith should be there after round 1 or even maybe round 2 so the Bucs have a shot to get him outside of round 1 at least.....

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    This draft is so deep at offensive line this year that we have absolutely no excuse for not taking advantage of it. This is the year of the line on this team, both sides of the ball. We can set ourselves up for years to come with a good, solid draft this year.

I like where you are going with addressing the OL and DL early on in this draft, assuming both Faneca and Starks don't return I don't think we have much choice but to do so. If that is indeed the case I'd trade your 3rd round pick for a Guard like Chilo Rachal or Drew Radovich depending on how much of a run there are at Guards in the 2nd round. Most of the Centers available should be there in round 3 so we could get a real good one if we played our cards right.

This draft is deep at OT only and really thin at G and C. I would like to see Darnell Stapleton put on some weight and give that position a run. We have an ample amount of guards on the roster already. Colon is still better suited for guard, Simmons, Keamuatu, Mahan and Essex as well. I still like all 3 picks. Williams impresses me and Ben really needs a great LT. I like Merling a lot too. We desperately need some depth on the D-line. My reasoning for the Cliff Avril pick is that after Woodley and Timmons crack the starting line-up there is nothing behind them. I am NOT a huge Arnold Harrison fan. Avril is a bad-*** dude and we also need help on special teams. Avril and Merling are both playmakers who play with leverage and make plays in the backfield.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    This draft is deep at OT only and really thin at G and C. I would like to see Darnell Stapleton put on some weight and give that position a run. We have an ample amount of guards on the roster already. Colon is still better suited for guard, Simmons, Keamuatu, Mahan and Essex as well. I still like all 3 picks. Williams impresses me and Ben really needs a great LT. I like Merling a lot too. We desperately need some depth on the D-line. My reasoning for the Cliff Avril pick is that after Woodley and Timmons crack the starting line-up there is nothing behind them. I am NOT a huge Arnold Harrison fan. Avril is a bad-*** dude and we also need help on special teams. Avril and Merling are both playmakers who play with leverage and make plays in the backfield.

Colon may be better suited at Guard, I have no problems with him being moved there and having an open competition between all the possible Guards on the team. Taking a T and a Center on Day 1 is paramount IMO regardless of who comes back between Starks and Faneca. If you take a franchise LT in the draft and let him fight it out between Marvel, Max, Essex and Colon then you give yourself a great shot at finding top notch bookend tackles for years to come. If Colon does move to guard and Starks leave then we are looking at needing atleast 2 Tackles in the draft or 1 via draft and 1 in FA. This will clear up more once we see who is staying on the OL, if any of them.

I just think at this point playing musical lineman to try and find a center on this team is ridiculous. The Center is the anchor of the team and you just can't skimp on that position. Get the center this year in the draft and then work your way around from there.

As far as depth at DL and LB, you're absolutely right we will need that, the problem is that we have so many needs that you won't be able to fix them all in just 1 offseason unless you get some FA's.

Gold Standard
    I just think at this point playing musical lineman to try and find a center on this team is ridiculous. The Center is the anchor of the team and you just can't skimp on that position. Get the center this year in the draft and then work your way around from there.

Just because you want a great center doesn't mean that there is one available in the draft. Looking at the grades that scout.com is giving the available centers this year none of them will even be day one picks. Steven Justice, C from Wake Forest is the only center even being graded out with 4 stars and he is being projected as the 71st prospect. Thats a 3rd rounder. No other center even breaks into the top 100 prospect list. Day 2 draft picks on the O-line have not really been very good to us in decades. We need a center and that is indisputable. Its not a good year for centers and that means that we need to look for alternatives to fix our need there. Grab one in free agency (which didn't work out too well for us last year) or work with what we have. Meaning get Darnell Stapleton ready for the job or prepping another one of our current guys to compete for the position in the spring. Thats just dealing with reality. You can't wish the next Mike Webster......Dermotti Dawson into existence.

As far as depth at DL and LB, you're absolutely right we will need that, the problem is that we have so many needs that you won't be able to fix them all in just 1 offseason unless you get some FA's.

Responding to that statement I would argue that we need to look at priorities as far as what needs fixed first, second etc.

I think the first priority should be the O-line. How many of this years O-line draft picks do you expect to break into the starting line-up? Lets say we lose Faneca and Starks and we don't want Mahan to occupy a starters job next year. That realistically only opens up 2 spots as Starks wasn't starting anyway. Draft Williams the guy from Vanderbilt who is being billed as one of the best LT's out there. He is our new starting LT. Move Marvell Smith over to RT and Willie Colon to LG. We need Darnell Stapleton to step into the starting center job. From what I read about him last year is that he had good techniques and skills but lacked the size to take on dominant DT's or NT's. He has had a year to hit the weights and eat like a horse. This would be the new look O-line:

C. Williams(R), W. Colon (2), D. Stapleton(1), K. Simmons(6), M.Smith(8)

That would leave Essex(T or G), Keamuatu(G), Mahan(G or C) and Capizzi(T) as viable back-ups not counting anyone else picked up on day 2 in the draft.

The second priority in my opinion is adding depth to the front seven on our defense. Losing Aaron Smith last year really hurt us and it was obvious that the substitutes did NOT get the job done. Adding a great DE is paramount. Kiesel did not live up to the beast billing that we had all hoped that he would. Smith will be coming off of a serious injury and who knows how that may affect his abilities in the future. Woodley taking Haggans spot next year instantly gives our pass rush more credibility with Harrison on the other side. Bookend bad-asses. Timmons needs to get into our starting line-up IMO. Not sure whose job he should take (Farrior's or Foote's) but last years first pick needs to start giving us 1st rounder plays. Show us why you are worthy and that the pick wasn't a mistake! I would like another stud linebacker here because once Woodley and Timmons make the starting line-up everything behind them is training camp fodder. Only other consideration that I would make is if there was another O-line stud available. But that prospect would have to be a guy who I felt could compete for a starting job. Otherwise I would look back to the defense to add depth to the linebacking corps.

The signature to the Steelers team has always been tough defense that played a punishing hard hitting brand of football. We didn't see that the last quarter of the season this year. Offenses were starting to oppose their will on our defense and running right into what was supposed to be our strength.....stout run defense. We got to get our identity back! That is why I believe OL - DL - LB will help address that identity problem. It hurt me to see our O-line struggle, but it killed me to see our defense getting the ball run down its throat!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Just because you want a great center doesn't mean that there is one available in the draft. Looking at the grades that scout.com is giving the available centers this year none of them will even be day one picks. Steven Justice, C from Wake Forest is the only center even being graded out with 4 stars and he is being projected as the 71st prospect. Thats a 3rd rounder. No other center even breaks into the top 100 prospect list. Day 2 draft picks on the O-line have not really been very good to us in decades. We need a center and that is indisputable. Its not a good year for centers and that means that we need to look for alternatives to fix our need there. Grab one in free agency (which didn't work out too well for us last year) or work with what we have. Meaning get Darnell Stapleton ready for the job or prepping another one of our current guys to compete for the position in the spring. Thats just dealing with reality. You can't wish the next Mike Webster......Dermotti Dawson into existence.
    If Stapleton is the answer, Im all for that. Atleast somebody on the current roster of lineman could step up and be counted on. I don't know if he is but he's certainly an option in the mix to fight it out. If Justice is available in the 3rd round then I say why not use it on him? He could be a solid center in the NFL if he's given the opportunity for it. Let him and Stapleton fight it out and see who wants it more. Justice has a lot of experience and is pretty highly rated according to the stat review I was looking at. The top FA centers is a list that is solid but certainly not great so FA has slim pickings too.

Jeremy Newberry (U) San Francisco
    Robbie Tobeck (U) Seattle
    Seth McKinney (U) Miami

At this point I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a player like Speiker; or Justice in the 3rd round if he lasted that long but if we didn't then I would hope atleast that Stapleton is given the chance to compete for the job. All I know is that Center is the key to any offensive line. I know that we aren't going to find the next Dawson or Webster this year, that's a pipe dream but at the same time something has to be done and you can't just play musical lineman trying to find somebody. Mahan was given his shot and he sux. Kendall played some at Center but they knew they didnt have anyone else viable to play Guard so they left him there.

I think the first priority should be the O-line. How many of this years O-line draft picks do you expect to break into the starting line-up? Lets say we lose Faneca and Starks and we don't want Mahan to occupy a starters job next year. That realistically only opens up 2 spots as Starks wasn't starting anyway. Draft Williams the guy from Vanderbilt who is being billed as one of the best LT's out there. He is our new starting LT. Move Marvell Smith over to RT and Willie Colon to LG. We need Darnell Stapleton to step into the starting center job. From what I read about him last year is that he had good techniques and skills but lacked the size to take on dominant DT's or NT's. He has had a year to hit the weights and eat like a horse. This would be the new look O-line:

C. Williams(R), W. Colon (2), D. Stapleton(1), K. Simmons(6), M.Smith(8)

That would leave Essex(T or G), Keamuatu(G), Mahan(G or C) and Capizzi(T) as viable back-ups not counting anyone else picked up on day 2 in the draft.
    I have no problems with this at all. Tackle is certainly a huge need and the OL should be prioritized at number 1 in this draft. I've been saying we should go Tackle in the first round depending on who things shake out in FA for us before then. 2nd priority being DL and 3rd being LB & WR depth. If Darnell can step up and take the job then Im all for it. You don't have to be huge at Center but you do need to have leverage and the ability to hold your ground.

The second priority in my opinion is adding depth to the front seven on our defense. Losing Aaron Smith last year really hurt us and it was obvious that the substitutes did NOT get the job done. Adding a great DE is paramount. Kiesel did not live up to the beast billing that we had all hoped that he would. Smith will be coming off of a serious injury and who knows how that may affect his abilities in the future. Woodley taking Haggans spot next year instantly gives our pass rush more credibility with Harrison on the other side. Bookend bad-asses. Timmons needs to get into our starting line-up IMO. Not sure whose job he should take (Farrior's or Foote's) but last years first pick needs to start giving us 1st rounder plays. Show us why you are worthy and that the pick wasn't a mistake! I would like another stud linebacker here because once Woodley and Timmons make the starting line-up everything behind them is training camp fodder. Only other consideration that I would make is if there was another O-line stud available. But that prospect would have to be a guy who I felt could compete for a starting job. Otherwise I would look back to the defense to add depth to the linebacking corps.
    I'd have no problems at all going DL on day 1. There are some quality DE's that can play on the front line or be converted to LB's for us. ILB isn't so much of a priority this year since the loser of the Foote/Timmons battle will be the prime backup and that's pretty good. OLB though is a concern equally with depth on the line so going either position is a very good idea. At this point though I'd put the defensive line as priority over the OLB's but not by much. Getting a FA lineman would be a great idea as there is a good crop available this year but they won't come cheap and any one of them could push Keisel for his spot and at the very least we've immediately increased our options there.

I really agree with most of what you are saying here with OL, DL, and LB as the primary concerns my only thing is that we've got to something at Center and unless Stapleton is ready to take over the job or we take one in the draft ( which isn't a guarantee either) we're going to suffer. When the center can't do his job everybody suffers because there is no way you can play offense with pressure right up the middle constantly.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-21-2008 at 04:57 PM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Colon has to be moved to OG.....He gave up a ton of sacks this year at an OT......I think OG is the best position for him which I stated before this past season even started that a move to OG for Willie Colon was in his best interest......Only reason he started at RT is due to Max Starks inconsistent play at the position.......

Drafting a LT is a must or a OT...I just prefer to finally find that LT....Chris Williams sounds good to me....If Faneca isn't resigned and he isn't moved to center...Then a drafting of a center is a must.....I know the coaches are high on Darnell Stapleton....But really do we want to pin our hopes on him as the answer at the center position...Draft a center and a OT......

Say Chris Williams-LT or if you don't want him to start at LT since he will be a rookie then Smith...but other teams have played rookies at LT and made the play-offs....06 Chargers and 07 Colts....But either way Smith will be one of the OTs in 08

Then the OGs spots will be manned by Simmons and Colon....Both will beat out Mahan...lol

That leaves center position...Which mostly likely will be handled by a rookie or Stapleton if he has a great training camp/pre-season...

That really doesn't sound like musical lineman to me....Especially since this current group needed to be blown up anyway....lol

Thread Information