Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers be more active in free agency?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Should the Steelers be more active in free agency?

All during the Cowher era we weren't exactly a FA kind of time by any means. Over the years we'd bring some key guys here and there to help out but we've always been a team that builds through the draft. I have no problems with that as long as you draft well and for the first part of BC's career with us we did draft well every year but the last 5-7 years our drafting has been steadily declining.

Teams like the Pats go out and make some big splashes in free agency and it's helped them a lot so maybe it's time this team went out and got some keep players from other sources besides the draft?

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    All during the Cowher era we weren't exactly a FA kind of time by any means. Over the years we'd bring some key guys here and there to help out but we've always been a team that builds through the draft. I have no problems with that as long as you draft well and for the first part of BC's career with us we did draft well every year but the last 5-7 years our drafting has been steadily declining.

Teams like the Pats go out and make some big splashes in free agency and it's helped them a lot so maybe it's time this team went out and got some keep players from other sources besides the draft?
    Free agency could be good or bad....Daniel Snyder of the Redskins always spends the coin but the Skins really havn't had the success to match his spending ways.....

The Pats really did make huge splashes in free agency until this past year when they finally over loaded to get weapons for Tom Brady and also they brought in Adialus Thomas for the defense....But great trades and always drafting well were the main reasons for their past success.......

The year they needed a RB...They traded for Dillion....This year they traded for Randy Moss and Wes Welker....

But still I would like the Rooney's to be more active in free agency......I don't want them to go nuts....But it would be nice to sign some FA's to fill holes instead of always drafting to fill them........But they have brought in the likes of Jeff Hartings and James Farrior in the past.....A couple of those level FA is all I ask.....

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    But still I would like the Rooney's to be more active in free agency......I don't want them to go nuts....But it would be nice to sign some FA's to fill holes instead of always drafting to fill them........But they have brought in the likes of Jeff Hartings and James Farrior in the past.....A couple of those level FA is all I ask.....
    I agree. The o-line needs proven experience, via FA, because Ben wont last the season with project players protecting him.

Ryan Clark was brought in also, as a FA and filled Chris Hopes position nicely.
    Then that same year we draft Anthony Smith on day one.

I hope this season will be better, FA and draft wise, with Tomlin settle in.
    Last season, during FA, he seemed desperate getting Mahan at center, to fill Hartings and Okobi's vacant spots, because he seemed more focused on the defensive side of the ball during the draft.

Thanks to Zachintosh66 for my awesome website banner!!
    steelersal.com

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    The problem with Snyder buying everybody in sight is most of them don't fit the Skins game plan. Thats the key, to get a FA in here that fits our schemes and game plans. I'd like to see us dip a little more into FA. I don't know who's out there this year, but we got players who need to be resigned and rookies coming in, I think we got around 16-18 Mil to play with to do all that.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I don't know i would want or see the steelers going in FA to get a new OL. They are just going for too much money, i would prefer going through the draft to get them. I would like to see the steelers get a DB, WR, or LB in FA to get some proven depth. Maybe like a third option at WR to help hines and holmes, and of course we need a proven KR, PR and not some old over the hill guy like we got with rossom.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan11 View Post
    I don't know i would want or see the steelers going in FA to get a new OL. They are just going for too much money,
    Good point.....a lot of over rated players have been given star contracts, we can thank greedy, stupid owners for that. In the real world when your working at a union job theres usually a ceiling on how much you can make when you get to certain wage grades or level. Don't see why the NFL can't do that.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    The problem with Snyder buying everybody in sight is most of them don't fit the Skins game plan. Thats the key, to get a FA in here that fits our schemes and game plans. I'd like to see us dip a little more into FA. I don't know who's out there this year, but we got players who need to be resigned and rookies coming in, I think we got around 16-18 Mil to play with to do all that.
    That is exactly the reason why the Skins have always been sub par, you can't buy a championship. You've got to get good players that fit your team, that fit in the locker room. You can't go out and buy bunch me first players and expect them to all work together and plus you've got to have the right coaches that can work with the players you want in FA.

I would love to see us get a couple Veteran lineman to throw in the mix on the line and let them all compete with a few draft picks we get. I'd really like to see us get a quality FA receiver. A guy that can compliment the starters and also push guys like Nate to be even better.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I agree the Steelers need some o-line help via free agency. They don't have time to draft a o-linemen and let him develop without picking up someone to fill the hole now.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    I agree with Diesel, the FAs we pick up, if there are any, must fit our system. We can't do like the Deadskins. Actually, the Rooney's won't allow that to happen.

2nd String
    i would like us 2 get a few key fa, like one shut down corner, an proven o-line help.................an maybe an tall 6-5 reciever, the rest i would like 2 c come by the draft.............

Thread Information