Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timmons to make the move inside in 2008

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Timmons to make the move inside in 2008

From the Tribune Review:

• He confirmed that Lawrence Timmons' future with the Steelers is at inside linebacker. Timmons has been moved to the "mack" position and will compete with Larry Foote for playing time there next season.

Timmons, the 15th overall pick of last April's NFL draft, played primarily on special teams in 2007 after a nagging groin problem cut seriously into his practice time before the start of the season.

"He better have a fit-in-where-you'll-get-in mentality because he needs to get on the field and help us," Tomlin said.
    Sounds like Tomlin was alittle bit edgy when talking about Timmons and the importance of him being able to contribute on this team. This will definitely push Foote to be even better and should make for a good battle to watch in camp and preseason.

BG32 and I were talking about this in another thread about how it's so important for Timmons to stay healthy and get on the field this year. I was really thinking that Tomlin might have an open competition for these 2 in 2008 to see who's ready to step up and take the job opposite Harrison. Wood has the definite edge because Timmons missed so much time due to injury and just didn't get on the field much in 2007. We have zero depth at ILB basically so having Timmons try himself out there right now shows us that Tomlin wants even more production out of our LB's.

I really didn't think Timmons would go inside solely at this point but it looks like that will be his meal ticket on this team. With Haggans gone now and Wood apparently starting we're back to very little depth at LB again on the outside so don't be surprised to see us draft another LB at some point.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-11-2008 at 03:48 PM.

Steel City Mafia # 632
    that's good news, i'd love to see Wood, Harrison and Timmons all on the field at the same time making plays! Hopefully Ant Smith will come back with the same fire and attitude he had early on. Then we will have a TRUE #1 ranked Defense next year.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Foote won't give up his job easy, the guy has been a solid player for us this year and regularly makes sure tackles and plays well. It should be a great battle and with Farrior still playing well but not getting any younger when his deal is up look for both Foote and Timmons to step up to the challenge.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Foote won't give up his job easy, the guy has been a solid player for us this year and regularly makes sure tackles and plays well. It should be a great battle and with Farrior still playing well but not getting any younger when his deal is up look for both Foote and Timmons to step up to the challenge.
    Hopefully the 3 can be interchangable and spell each other thru-out the season and make this the most formidable LB crew since the mid 90's ....

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Dude with both Woodley and Harrison as the projected starts at OLB for the next few years at least the only way I saw Timmons starting as at ILB and Tomlin did state before he thought Timmons could play inside....If he doesn't beat out Foote....I see him sliding both inside and outside....to spell all the LBs at times next year....

My Mood
    Frustrated
    If he proves he can, SWEET! BUT, that's not why he was drafted 1st round. He better step it up and learn to play inside!

lol and koop thought we were making it up

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    If he proves he can, SWEET! BUT, that's not why he was drafted 1st round. He better step it up and learn to play inside!
    Actually when he was drafted Tomlin and others did say that Timmons could slide inside and maybe he would end playing at ILB....He was drafted to play LB for the Steelers it was never determined if it was at OLB or ILB until now.....I think he is going to be a badass on the inside....He has the the all around skills for ILB.....Timmons has speed and the athletic ability for coverage responsibilities and he can hit also....Plus he has the speed to blitz from the inside at times....I think he will be a star as an ILB.....I think he would have remained at OLB and were he had to battle LTs constantly and also being doubled at times he might have struggled as a OLB...I personally think inside fits his skills.....

My Mood
    Frustrated
    I sure hope so!

2nd String
    i been saying it since last season good bye haggans an foote they both suck they have been wasting space for 4 years now....................now i bet u timmons won't b an bust like foote..........timmons will learn the inside position an he will b our opening day starter................good ridance haggans an foote an oh yea leave some of ur money 2 u bums.................

Thread Information