Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First year leaves Tomlin wanting more

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

First year leaves Tomlin wanting more

Too late for Christmas and the playoffs, Mike Tomlin has a wish list for the 2008 season: Better play in the Steelers' offensive and defensive lines, and better coverage on kickoffs and punts.

That means more and younger players for those units, whether it's through the draft, free agency or some of his own players improving by next season.

And while his team won a division championship for the first time in three years and earned a home playoff game, Tomlin said he was not satisfied with his first season as a coach.

"I will always be disappointed when I don't win the World Championship," he said.

"I'm not big into moral victories. We did some good things. We won 10 games. We won our division. It starts there, but it wasn't as well as I would have liked. The goals I set for myself, I am not bashful about.

"One of the things that has bugged me the most since Saturday night are people with great intentions saying, 'Great start' and 'Great year.' ... I appreciate that, but there is something we are chasing here and we never will cease that chase."

Toward that end, the Steelers need players. Tomlin said each good special teams unit has four core players, such as Chidi Iwuoma and Sean Morey from Steelers past. Tomlin said this team had "not enough dynamic playmakers that you can build a core unit around," and that's one reason the kick and punt coverage teams played poorly.

"Our coverage unit is one glaring thing that has to improve," Tomlin said. "The protection of our quarterback has to improve. ... You always need big strong men in the interior on the rise."

The Steelers are getting old on their three-man defensive line, with two of three already in their 30s, plus the top backups.

"We're older in those positions," Tomlin said. "That will be our intentions, along with all areas of course. But in terms of having the personality that we want to have, there is no secret that we want to run the football and run it big time. We want to smash the run, so it starts inside and up front ...

"We could use young people, young developing people in a lot of areas. If I could identify anything at this point, I would say we need young big people."

Tomlin cited the inability of his No. 1-ranked defense to close out games at the end -- specifically, in regular-season games against Jacksonville, Denver and the New York Jets and their playoff against the Jaguars.

"We've got to be better in terms of rising up in moments late in football games. We got behind in some football games that we lost and fought our way back, but we weren't able to close the door in terms of energy, focus and ability to finish.

"When you look back at it, we have to execute better at crunch time. That's what great teams do. That's probably why we are not a great team at this point. We're a good team. That's what 10-6 teams are, what division champions are. We've got to be great."

He also cited their inability to run on offense when they had to, even though Willie Parker led the league in rushing after 14 games.

"We have to run the football more effectively and more often and later in football games," Tomlin said, "so we can wear people down and win games on our terms the way we like to."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 47 times the past season and 93 over the past two. Tomlin acknowledged that's unacceptable. Besides trying to improve a line that likely will lose guard Alan Faneca and perhaps No. 3 tackle Max Starks, they will need to infuse it with more talent.

"We have to play better," Tomlin said. "We have to get better technicians. We have to communicate better. We have to coach better."

The coaching staff will take a break next week, then hit the road for the Senior Bowl and begin preparations for the April draft, and possibly signing a few free agents starting in March.

"I am pleased with a lot of things," Tomlin said. "I am dissatisfied with some things. We are going to address those things."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08011/848340-66.stm

i love that bolded quote, i've always said, unless you win the championship, the season was a complete failure.........almost all of cowhers career was a moral victory........ i'm glad tomlin doesn't want to be satisfied with just a division championship and a playoff trip.......
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08011/848340-66.stm

i love that bolded quote, i've always said, unless you win the championship, the season was a complete failure.........almost all of cowhers career was a moral victory........ i'm glad tomlin doesn't want to be satisfied with just a division championship and a playoff trip.......
    totally agree
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Any coach or player who is satisfied with anything less then a Lombardi trophy, is just in it for a paycheck. Tomlin must be real disappointed, I'm sure we'll see a lot of different and better things for our Steelers in 2008.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Tomlin
    "One of the things that has bugged me the most since Saturday night are people with great intentions saying, 'Great start' and 'Great year.' ... I appreciate that, but there is something we are chasing here and we never will cease that chase."
    This is why Tomlin will be around for awhile... especially if he can get the Lombardy trophy soon!

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Any coach or player who is satisfied with anything less then a Lombardi trophy, is just in it for a paycheck. Tomlin must be real disappointed, I'm sure we'll see a lot of different and better things for our Steelers in 2008.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok......I just have one thing to say....Talk is cheap......I think Mike Tomlin since the day he was hired has said all the right things.....Thats why I was so pumped reading about him before he was hired and after he was hired....But this season I wasn't that impressed so I will hey Coach talk is cheap....lol

Granted its not Tomlin's fault that Cowher left some of these positions and specials teams void with young talent.....But still I didn't see one thing this year that led me to believe this is the next HC star in this league...lol I'm just being honest....Maybe he will but all I can go by is what I saw this year....

My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    This is why Tomlin will be around for awhile... especially if he can get the Lombardy trophy soon!

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is where it's really time to go to work and where we really see what Mike Tomlin is going to be like for us. The offseason is when you can really evaluate your players and get a feel for what changes need to be made. Im anxious to see what we do with our players and what changes are made for 2008.

Steel City Mafia # 632
    i am anxious as well, i hope he doesn't pull a Cowher and sign some other teams scrub FA and plug him in here, If you want to run with the big boys in the AFC we need to get some playmakers.Don't know how much the Rooneys will handcuff Tomlin this offseason..i guess all we can do is sit back and wait!

I'm headed to the Pro Bowl this year for the first time, Hopefully can get to see Big Ben and the rest of our guys!

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    "We could use young people, young developing people in a lot of areas. If I could identify anything at this point, I would say we need young big people."

Translation: We didn't have the horses this year.

....which is what I've been saying all along and others didn't want to hear.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

Thread Information