Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grass? Or Fake Grass? The Steelers still undecided

Bookmark and Share
    Tailgate Coordinator

Post Grass? Or Fake Grass? The Steelers still undecided

Grass or fake grass? Steelers haven't decided yet

By Alan Robinson, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers' anticipated switch of Heinz Field to artificial turf might not be the done deal it appeared to be six weeks ago.

The Steelers' players are arguing against it, and the NFL is pleased at how the field's beaten-up grass held up for a playoff game last weekend.

After nearly 1 1/2 inches of rain in several hours and a newly sodded field combined to make Heinz Field's surface almost unplayable for Pittsburgh's 3-0 victory over Miami on Nov. 26, the club was expected to install artificial turf when the season ended.

Criticized for playing six high school, college and NFL games in a four-day span on grass turf in bad weather, the Steelers found themselves being ridiculed inside and out of the league. Jaguars running back Fred Taylor called the bad grass "a lawsuit waiting to happen."

Now, the pro-grass faction might be winning out.

Despite light rain during the game, the field was in the best shape it's been in for weeks during Jacksonville's 31-29 AFC wild-card victory Saturday. Punts didn't plug in ankle-deep mud the way they did in the Miami game, and wide receivers didn't slide or lose traction on pass routes.

"We're going to have a big discussion about what to do and things like this ... but we haven't even discussed it yet," Steelers owner Dan Rooney told The Associated Press. "I think the grass held up really good."

Concerned about the mushy turf, the NFL kept an operations executive in Pittsburgh after the Miami game, then did so again last week. Rooney said the league was pleased Saturday with the field conditions for a game attended by commissioner Roger Goodell.

"They had their guy here looking at it, to see how it was, and he said it was great for this game," Rooney said. "But they don't tell you, 'You've got to do this, you've got to do that.' At least they haven't told us that."

Numerous players, including Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu, are pleading to keep the grass because they are convinced it reduces knee and ankle injuries.

Their case became stronger when Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, leading the league in rushing at the time with 1,316 yards, broke his right leg while cutting on St. Louis' artificial turf Dec. 20.

With Parker out of the lineup, the Steelers rushed for only 89 yards combined while losing their final two games without him.

"We're going to listen to them (the players)," Rooney said. "We're not going to make the decision entirely on that, but they will have an influence."

The Steelers' field problems aren't new. In 2002, the grass was replaced three times from spring until the end of the season. Another year, the grass between the hash marks was torn out and replaced.

While more colder-weather NFL teams with outdoor stadiums have grass fields than artificial turf, the Steelers must weigh whether they can continue playing up to 25 NFL, University of Pittsburgh and high school games per season on grass.

Putting down artificial turf would allow them to increase the number of high school games and other events, such as concerts, staged at Heinz Field each year.

"A lot of people say, 'Ahh, get rid of those high schools,"' Rooney said. "We don't want to do that. We want them to be part of it. It's a great thing for them. When I was playing for North (Catholic, during the 1940s), we played at Forbes Field. Even though I was around it all the time, I really got a thrill out of it."
    The Associated Press

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i still think the players are pussies for wanting to stay with the real grass, they only like it cause of the advantage it gives them, and that's bitch ****, can't beat teams straight up so they have to cripple them.......but i'm sure the rooney's will stay with the grass so no point in even thinking about a good field

and i'm sure theirs a difference between indoor and outdoor turf, so i think that willie argument is the gayest of all time
    Last edited by Koopa; 01-09-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Amazed
    As those of you who have read Jerome Bettis' book know; The Bus' had many
    injuries on the asphalt based turf at 3 rivers, and according to the bus, serious injuries occurr while playing on that type of turf.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    no one uses that type of turf anymore......the new turf that teams use outdoors is almost like real grass it's just not gay

My Mood
    Addicted
    I think the Steelers need to go to turf or get Pitt out of Heinz Field. I don't see Pitt leaving anytime soon so go with the turf.

there are way too many teams that are allowed to play on heinz field. high schools, pitt, and the stillers. the only thing is, pitt wouldn't have anywhere to play... using field turf would eliminate the shiatty arse field conditions.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    no one uses that type of turf anymore......the new turf that teams use outdoors is almost like real grass it's just not gay
    The new field turf is better then the old astro turf no doubt......But still its alarming when you do see team that have field turf still have a ton of injuries...I have no problems with a grass field....But the game against the Dolphins was terrible and then even the next game against the Bengals the turf wasn't that much better.....But I don't think the players are being bitches for wanting to keep the real grass......

If the Steelers do keep the grass....I just hope they don't but sod over the field like they did before the Dolphins game that just made it worse with all the rain......If the Steelers do go to field turn I won't complain but I do think the Rooney's will listen to their own players and take their opinion into account....

I say just let Ricky Williams smoke it!!

My problem with turf is the extra twisting and strain put on your joints (stay away ricky)...But I'm all for a nice new bada$$ field....We'll see what the higher ups do, we all know voicing our concerns will do nothing.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i've read pitt would like to see field turf.......and they pay to play on that field so i think they should have a say in it........ and i'll always think if you want something for an advantage to win that you are a pussy....... and i read that the rooney's had ppl looking at the west virgina field, cause it's a different type of field turf, and it looks nice, i think they should go to that lol.....

the west virginia turf is the essence of badassness....besides, if slaton, white and devine can run on it, willie would be badass on it lol.

3 rivers turf was first generation **** and it was bad for the players, until you actually play on field turf, not astro turf....you have no right to comment, its awesome to run on and looks ****ing sweet

Thread Information