Thread: If Patriots Spied on Rams, NFL Could Crack Down on Jets, Browns, Raiders

Bookmark and Share
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

If Patriots Spied on Rams, NFL Could Crack Down on Jets, Browns, Raiders

If Patriots Spied on Rams, NFL Could Crack Down on Jets, Browns, Raiders

Let's assume the worst for the moment about the latest spygate allegations: Let's say that the Patriots really did assign a team employee to tape the Rams' final walk-through before the Super Bowl in 2002, and that the Patriots' defensive coaches then scrutinized the tape as they made last-minute adjustments to their game plan.

If all that is true, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will most certainly discipline Patriots coach Bill Belichick. But he wouldn't stop there.

The Patriots' defensive coaching staff for that game consisted of Belichick and five assistants: Defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, inside linebackers coach Pepper Johnson, defensive backs coach Eric Mangini, defensive line coach Randy Melvin and outside linebackers coach Rob Ryan. All of those five are still in the NFL, but only Johnson is still with the Patriots.

Crennel is now head coach of the Browns and Melvin is one of his assistants. Mangini is head coach of the Jets. Ryan is defensive coordinator of the Raiders. If those four men all cheated to win the Super Bowl, then all four need to be disciplined.

What would that discipline entail? It's awfully hard to say because we still don't know much about this case. But if it's bad as some are suggesting, all of Belichick's defensive assistants from the 2001 season could be suspended. Jets, Browns and Raiders fans may want to keep an eye on this story.

LINK

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    I doubt anything will come of this. The NFL just wants to sweep this under the rug and be done with it.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    seahawks-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    I doubt anything will come of this. The NFL just wants to sweep this under the rug and be done with it.
    Yeah, the NFL is f***ing stupid. The Patriots should be stripped of all of their championships under Belicheck and he should be banned.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    Yep, Goodell said as much in his interviews before the Super Bowl; that the NFL wants this to be over and done with and they don't feel any new evidence is strong enough at this point to warrent more investigation who's lining who's pocket anyways around here.

Pro Bowl #2 and Counting JoeThomas's Avatar
    they cant or wont penalize the assistants. it all falls under the head coach. if they find out alot more, i could see belichick getting an extended suspension, 8 games to a whole season.

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Yep, Goodell said as much in his interviews before the Super Bowl; that the NFL wants this to be over and done with and they don't feel any new evidence is strong enough at this point to warrent more investigation who's lining who's pocket anyways around here.
    Yep!! This is starting to stink a bit now.
    Goodell destroying the Spygate Tapes is very suspicious the more you think about it and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he tried to sweep all of this under the rug because this whole incident could really damage the reputation of the league.

I hope Arlen Spector holds Goodell's feet under the fire and really grills him for answers about the Spygate Tapes and if there is any truth to the Pats taping the Rams practice before the Superbowl I bet Belichick is gone for an Entire Season or forced to resign.

Thread Information