Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tomlin to retain both coordinators LeBeau, Arians

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08009...?cmpid=HBEHTML
    Tomlin to retain both coordinators LeBeau, Arians
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin's top coaches will return to their jobs next season, sources on the Steelers said yesterday.

Dick LeBeau will return as defensive coordinator in 2008, which will be his 36th season as an assistant or head coach in the NFL.

Bruce Arians will be back for his second year as offensive coordinator after Tomlin promoted him from wide receivers coach under Bill Cowher a year ago.

Often, a first-time head coach who has not been associated with some of the assistants he hired will make moves after he works with them for a year. But Tomlin has decided to make no changes in his coordinators for next season.

LeBeau, 70, coached the defense to the No. 1 ranking in yards allowed in the NFL this season. They also ranked third in the league against the run and third against the pass. LeBeau was Cowher's defensive coordinator since 2004, his second stint with the team. He also coached Cowher's first five seasons as secondary coach for three years and coordinator for two.

Arians, 55, has been a coach since 1975 and an NFL assistant for 11 seasons. He was offensive coordinator for three season with the Cleveland Browns before joining the Steelers as their wide receivers coach in 2004.

The offense under Arians ranked 17th in the NFL this season, third in rushing. Most important, Ben Roethlisberger rebounded from a poor 2006 to have his best season statistically of his four years in the NFL, ranking second only to New England's Tom Brady with a 104.1 passer rating and setting a Steelers record with 32 touchdown passes.

I hope you all realized this was going to happen, in regards to Arians. I've been saying all along that Tomlin isn't going to can him after just 1 season. He'll give him the benefit of the doubt for atleast 1 more year and see how it goes. Ben likes working with him, the offensive players like his scheme, and the stats don't lie regardless of how many times some of his calls made us want to . Tomlin is too rational and level headed to not give Arians another chance to be the OC for this team. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes and also just improve all around so we aren't as predictable in certain situations.

Congrats on Lebeau coming back again, I look forward to seeing what he can cook up with a healthy defense.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-09-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Just ruined my day! The only thing I can hope for is that this wanker learned from his mistakes....Granted he did have Ben looking sharp and we still ran the ball wrong, play calling and lack of fresh plays is what did me in...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Give this offense a fresh, tough, big offensive line that blocks and Ben will have 40 TD's and Willie will have 1300-1400 yds again. He does need to learn from the mistakes he did make though I'll grant you that. He's got an entire offseason to watch the film and make adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Give this offense a fresh, tough, big offensive line that blocks and Ben will have 40 TD's and Willie will have 1300-1400 yds again. He does need to learn from the mistakes he did make though I'll grant you that. He's got an entire offseason to watch the film and make adjustments.
    Agree'd 100%. Looking back the guy did do some things right, so not all bad (I guess). I was not a big supporter of him, but like you said with a badass line, the sky could be the limit.

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    No surprises here.

Tomlin does however need to tweak a few things. The first thing he needs to do is put Arians *** up in the booth so that he can see what the hell is going on both offensively and also to see what defensive looks other teams are giving Ben.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    No surprises here.

Tomlin does however need to tweak a few things. The first thing he needs to do is put Arians *** up in the booth so that he can see what the hell is going on both offensively and also to see what defensive looks other teams are giving Ben.
    Thats a good idea, hopefully Tomlin will do some micro managing while he's at it.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Hook a damn shock collar to him, when he f's up zap him....

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    I might get rocks thrown at me but I dont think we would have been in that Jags game at all if BA hadnt called the game he did. The next to the last drive being very poorly called is the exception

another year of ( they call me bruce ) . what did we do to deserve this??? he got canned in cleveland because he stunk it up and now he has stunk it up here. another chance at what--- being so imaginative with his play calling. this guy needs a new job. dam the bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Hook a damn shock collar to him, when he f's up zap him....
    not a bad idea
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

Thread Information