Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some other receivers available in free agency...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Some other receivers available in free agency...

Now I know I may get flamed for this BUT... I've seen a lot of people listing a tall wide receiver option for Ben as a need for this team. While I think it would definitely be nice I think we have too many other needs and too much invested in Hines and Santonio to take a high draft pick or sign a big name FA which is why I think... MATT JONES might be a decent option.

I've read that he will probably be cut loose from Jacksonville after this season and I think he would come very very cheap. I know there has to be something that has kept him out of the game plan for the Jags but I also don't see us needing him like they did. The Jaguars spent a first rounder on him because they needed him to be their #1 guy... We don't. I think we're perfectly fine with Hines and Santonio.

Matt Jones is big and fast, which is what everyone around here seems to want. Nate has been decent as of late but he drops a lot, so I see Jones as a bigger, faster, Nate Washington (probably with less route running ability). But hey, I figure he'd be in there to stretch the field mostly anyway, and have someone to throw that corner fade to that our coaches seem to love... Now I like that play, just not to Hines, Santonio, or Nate since they're all 6 foot and under (although Hines' catch was a thing of beauty).

Another guy that is up for FA that I have always liked is Drew Carter from Carolina...6-3 speed guy with decent hands and great speed....reunite him with Holmes.

Ultimately...unless the Steelers get Matt Jones or Carter .....I would love for us to look at Adarius Bowman in round 1 of the draft but I see us going guard or somewhere on the online the first 2 maybe even 3 picks.

What do you guys think?

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    bah, he's nothing more then a combine star.......he can't cut it in the nfl, i rather just keep nate washington as a third guy
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

I personally think this team, once again, is gonna go w/ the "we're in a position to take the best player available"!!!! While i personally disagree w/ that strategy when it comes to ALL POSITIONS, i do think we can do that when i comes to o-linemen!!! I hope we take the best o-linemen available in 2 of the first 3 rounds!!!

I personally would throw up if we took a Wideout first round!!!! And i would boo Matt Jones everytime he stepped on the field!!! Sorry man, i just dont like the guy as a WR!!! As much as i like tall WR's i dont think we are that desperate yet!! Andre Davis was mentioned before i like that, Javon Walker would be great from a talent aspect but he is fragile and kind of a dick in how he is dealing his way out of Denver!!

matt jones sucks....theres better options out there

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I like drafting best player available actually.....Now I agree OL has to be the way to go in the first round...But if there isn't any value there when the Steelers pick its best to look at another position instead of reaching for OL that might be there in round 2....As for Matt Jones....hell no I don't want him...He is a stiff....

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    Being that I sit about 4 miles from where he played NCAA ball at I might add this about Matt Jones; he is tall he is fast and can catch about anything thrown to him but he is not a blocker and he does not work out as much as one might think.

I also recall the year we took Miller that they was looking hard at this guy. He might could come in and work great but it would be a big if. He could be another X factor when it comes to trick plays as well.

I for one didnt like him as the Hawgs QB but I am not sure I would write him off as a NFL WR just yet.

we need an O-LINE UPGRADE, it dosn't matter who ben has to throw to if he is pressured or sacked all day.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Matt Jones never panned out in Jax, he's got the physical tools but he's another Plax (atleast when Plax was here). A guy who can't be counted on to make the big play or be consistent week in and week out.

Nate is blossoming into a good 3rd WR. He showed signs of that the last half of the season and I think the team believes in him. Having said that we need depth here desperately because neither he, Cedric, or Reid scare anybody and it never hurts to have some good competition to push everyone to elevate their game.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Matt Jones never panned out in Jax, he's got the physical tools but he's another Plax (atleast when Plax was here). A guy who can't be counted on to make the big play or be consistent week in and week out.

Nate is blossoming into a good 3rd WR. He showed signs of that the last half of the season and I think the team believes in him. Having said that we need depth here desperately because neither he, Cedric, or Reid scare anybody and it never hurts to have some good competition to push everyone to elevate their game.
    I agree Nate improved this year.....I want the team to draft a WR to find a replacement for Nate Washington...I'm just thinking of how Hines Ward is getting up there and that his style of game always subjects him to more abuse then the typical WR.....So I'm looking for a potential replacement for Hines already and just to add depth since probably Hines will miss a few games next year which seems to be his norm since he does take a pounding....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We haven't had the best track record at bringing in WR's here lately. Other than Holmes really none of them have done anything significant with the exception of Nate who the jury is still out on but did show positive signs, as we talked about. It normally takes a couple years for WR's to really come into their own on a team so bringing in a good FA WR to help ease the transition would be optimal if you ask me. With the problems we have on the OL and DL (depth) I don't think we'll hit any WR that's a show stopper in the 2008 draft unless we get lucky so a FA would be a really temporary solution to fill in.

Thread Information