Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Faneca and Starks Free agency

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Rookie Free Agent catlabman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Clyde, N.C.
    Posts
    56

    Faneca and Starks Free agency

    Guard Alan Faneca will be an unrestricted free agent and the Steelers have a month to work out new contracts with Faneca and offensive tackle Max Starks. They will attempt to re-sign both players.

    "We can't lose the heart of this team," strong safety Troy Polamalu said. "Alan is the heart of this team."

    At 31, Faneca can have several more effective seasons as a guard. The Steelers believe Faneca can make a transition to center, if not next season then later in his career.

    Team chairman Dan Rooney has always regretted allowing Rod Woodson to leave as a free agent and will do everything possible to keep Faneca, who, like Woodson, was a member of the Steelers' 75th Anniversary team.

    Faneca became emotional when talking about how Saturday's game might have been his last with the Steelers. He wants to stay with Pittsburgh and the Steelers want to make it happen.

    With the Steelers expected to be $18 million under next year's salary cap, they will have the means to get deals done with Faneca and Starks, though working out an extension with Roethlisberger also will be an offseason priority.

    By re-signing Faneca and Starks, the Steelers won't be forced to select two offensive linemen early in the draft. They could instead select one lineman, play Faneca or Kendall Simmons at center - where Mahan was a flop - and move right tackle Willie Colon to guard. That would allow the Steelers to draft another offensive playmaker - either a wide receiver or running back who can also return kicks - early in the draft.

    Outside linebacker Clark Haggans also is an unrestricted free agent, but rookie LaMarr Woodley showed against Jacksonville - two sacks and three pressures - that he's ready to be a force next season.

    Having defensive end Aaron Smith and free safety Ryan Clark healthy next season also will help.

    The Steelers don't need a total overhaul, just some minor tweaks. They have something about 25 teams don't - a franchise quarterback. And when you have a franchise quarterback, you don't rebuild, you retool.

    F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com
    Just read this on the internet, they say that the Rooney's are trying to keep Faneca and Starks. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 01-08-2008 at 02:07 PM.

  2. #2
    AZ_Steeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    19,358
    I've never given a thought of Faneca at center... that might not be bad after watching the last flop this past season.

    If the FO can keep Faneca and Starks that would be great but they also need to think longterm and don't want to strap the team to the point they have to dump everyone and end up like the Niners...

  3. #3
    Starter steelcitysfinestXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    I've never given a thought of Faneca at center... that might not be bad after watching the last flop this past season.

    If the FO can keep Faneca and Starks that would be great but they also need to think longterm and don't want to strap the team to the point they have to dump everyone and end up like the Niners...
    I agree!!! We have guys on this team that can play guard ex: Chris-K and Colon would make a mean *** guard combo to sandwich a 1st or second round center!!! Starx at RT, marvel at LT.. which leaves you alot of money to go affter other players!!!! I love faneca but he is gonna command HIGH dollar... i cant see us paying him a Stienbach like $50 MIL plus signing Bing Ben to a top 5 QB deal... How ever they do it... i hope it doesnt restrict us in the future!!!!!

  4. #4
    Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    3,057
    ya, know ... I'm gettin real Gad damn tired of other players on this team running to the defense of other players and coaches as if to act as their PR spokespersons or Agents every time a decision needs to be made or money needs to be dulled out ....

    If Polamalu is so insistant that Faneca is the "heart" of this team, why in the fu<k doesn't he step up as a leader and offer to be the heart? You would figure with the paycheck TP is taking home, he would step up to the plate and start showing some of his own leadership.
    Last edited by Iron City South; 01-08-2008 at 02:54 PM.

  5. #5
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    17,965
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    I agree!!! We have guys on this team that can play guard ex: Chris-K and Colon would make a mean *** guard combo to sandwich a 1st or second round center!!! Starx at RT, marvel at LT.. which leaves you alot of money to go affter other players!!!! I love faneca but he is gonna command HIGH dollar... i cant see us paying him a Stienbach like $50 MIL plus signing Bing Ben to a top 5 QB deal... How ever they do it... i hope it doesnt restrict us in the future!!!!!
    so you like mediocrity for an offensive line? great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

    If chris k was any good he wouldve played by now, we need to clear the line of the scrubs plain and simple.

  6. #6
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    ya, know ... I'm gettin real Gad damn tired of other players on this team running to the defense of other players and coaches as if to act as their PR spokespersons or Agents .... If Polamalu is so insistant that Faneca is the "heart" of this team, why in the fu<k doesn't he step up as a leader and offer to be the heart?
    Well what do you expect them to say??

    Interviewer to Troy: What do you think about Alan Faneca leaving?

    Troy: "he sucks get rid of his big dumb ***"

    Now honestly, if the players didn't come to the defense of each other wouldn't you be just a tad bit worried about the locker room chemistry? The fact that these players stick together is a sign they believe in one another and there is a good vibe in the locker room. Nobody wants to see anybody leave but they know it's reality. Besides emotions were high after that game and players speak from the heart.

    The Rooneys' and Tomlin will sign who they can for the money they want to spend regardless of what the players think. All of them wanted Cowher to stay and Whiz or Grimm to get the job the Rooney's went in another direction. The owners will listen to the players plead the case for another but they won't let it deter their overall plans.

  7. #7
    Starter steelcitysfinestXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    so you like mediocrity for an offensive line? great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

    If chris k was any good he wouldve played by now, we need to clear the line of the scrubs plain and simple.
    No, I want sean mahan and kendall simmons gone!!!! I think its gonna be near impossible to sign faneca for the money he is gonna want and still be able to lock ben into a long term deal.
    Whats your bright idea K, sign Faneca and Starx for huge money, work out Bens deal, and then what!?!?!?! Faneca is declining and his contract is up and he aint getting any younger or better!!! You can say what you want about Chris-K but he has been good enough to make this team for the past couple of years and played well in the abscence of faneca!! Fu*k it he cant be as bad as simmons. I would rather draft some young guns at tackle/C in the first 3 rounds. Sign Starx/ let Alan go to Ari. Move Colon to G where i think he can be a hell of alot better, and have Mahan, Colon and Chris Battle for the guard spots!!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Think about '07 camp when Faneca and Smith were the only two proven starters we had. Simmons was injury prone, Mahan was a free agent C moving to G and Starx was on the fence and was eventually benched!!! Our line was makeshift as hell last year with Faneca!!! Why not save some money and build a new line while ben and Willie are still young!!! This draft seems to be littered w/ good OL-men. I would look to the draft for replacements and start trying some of these young guys we have been carrying for what seems like ever, instead of using the same old faces!!!
    Last edited by steelcitysfinestXL; 01-08-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #8
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Well what do you expect them to say??

    Interviewer to Troy: What do you think about Alan Faneca leaving?

    Troy: "he sucks get rid of his big dumb ***"

    Now honestly, if the players didn't come to the defense of each other wouldn't you be just a tad bit worried about the locker room chemistry? The fact that these players stick together is a sign they believe in one another and there is a good vibe in the locker room. Nobody wants to see anybody leave but they know it's reality. Besides emotions were high after that game and players speak from the heart.

    The Rooneys' and Tomlin will sign who they can for the money they want to spend regardless of what the players think. All of them wanted Cowher to stay and Whiz or Grimm to get the job the Rooney's went in another direction. The owners will listen to the players plead the case for another but they won't let it deter their overall plans.
    To be honest I really don't care what Troy has say or thinks about Alan Faneca resigning with the team or not......Troy should be worried about himself and staying healthy....Maybe changing his personal training habits...His own training seems to be not working....lol He was a stiff this year.....So Troy do this team a favor and shut it.... Lift some weights and get tough again.....Become the badass you once were...lol

  9. #9
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    yeah but my point is the players are going to stick up for each other, it's what they do. It's what they should do. Even if they don't think a particular player has done well they certainly aren't going to tell the media. " oh well Cedric Wilson sucks he doesn't earn his paycheck" or "Faneca ain't worth 40 million so get rid of his ***" , "Reid can't do **** in the return game so we don't need him".

    You see what I'm getting at here...the players go out and lay it all on the line each week so these guys need to stick together and when one of them may potentially leave they are going to still stick together. Even if that players does leave, the team will adjust but it's never easy. These guys are human beings and sometimes we as fans forget that because they get so much money and they play a game for living.

  10. #10
    PsychoWard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Madison,Ohio
    Posts
    7,690
    My Mood
    Horny
    i think we would all love to see faneca resign!! as for clark haggins get rid of him thats what we drafted woodley for!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Steelers screwed up Starks' deal
    By Captcoolhand in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
  2. Latest Steelers - Free agency & Injury updates
    By Deb in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 12:29 PM
  3. Friday roundup: Latest Free Agency News
    By NOVA STEELERS in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 10:55 PM
  4. Planning for a future with Faneca and Starks.....
    By DIESELMAN in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 12:49 AM
  5. NFL free-agent frenzy?
    By Captcoolhand in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •