Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger will seek contract extension

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Roethlisberger will seek contract extension

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08008/847522-66.stm

There is an article that talks about Ben and how his agent is very optimistic that the Steelers will approach him with a contract extension offer this offseason. This is a gimme IMO, there is no doubt the team is looking to sign Ben and get him secured as a Steeler for a good long time; they've already mentioned this as being a priority this offseason a long with Starks.

We've waited 2 decades since Terry retired to have a franchise QB like Ben and there should nothing that stands in the way of getting him a big deal to keep him. We've suffered through the likes of guys like Brister, Stoudt, Malone, Woodley, Stewart and Odonnel for far too long to let a guy like slip away.

He is due a roster bonus in March so one would think they may try to get this done before then so they know what they have to work with come draft time. We'll see though because in the past they've waited to ink veterans till after the draft.

Big Ben should be numero uno on the list of things to get done by the FO. It's been far too long as TG said since the Steelers have had a QB worth a crap! I'm sure Dan Rooney knows that and will see that Ben is taken care of for a long time to come.

The only thing that bothers me though is Ward got his big contract, Polamalu got his and there are going to be others deserving of the big buck besides Ben and the money situation is going to start to get low unless guys start putting the team ahead of their own agenda's which is to get paid!

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    7 years / $80M ..... give it to 'em.

Consider it a discount for what you would have had to sign him for if our season was extended this year as a result of his play.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Indeed, if Ben would sign for that money he should surely be given it no questions asked. If Romo who has done nothing like what Ben has done in his career so far can get that money then surely Ben should get it.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Indeed, if Ben would sign for that money he should surely be given it no questions asked. If Romo who has done nothing like what Ben has done in his career so far can get that money then surely Ben should get it.
    Agreed, good numbers on both ends i think!!!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    In total agreement........I have been a fan since the late 80s......Ok I was raised a Steelers fan...But I really didn't start to really follow and get into Steelers football hard core until the late 80s.....So I remember Brister....Then of course from O'Donnell to all the other bums QB until Big Ben was drafted....Funny thing though I still have my Bubby Brister starting lineup figure...lol

But Ben is worth and earned his contract....He is the franchise....Resigning him and putting a good OL in front of him to protect are the main things to get done this off-season...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    When you look at it, Ben's numbers are a direct reflection of 2-3 things finally happening for us.

1. Ben has become a more efficient QB. He makes better decisions with the ball and has really started realizing his potential throwing passes.
    2. He's got legit weapons in Hines, Santonio, Heath, Matt Spaeth, Parker, and Washington.
    3. The missing piece is the line in front of him. If Ben gets consistent blocking the NFL won't know who hit them.

My Mood
    Horny
    yeah they need to pony up and do it early he deserves it!!!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    When you look at it, Ben's numbers are a direct reflection of 2-3 things finally happening for us.

1. Ben has become a more efficient QB. He makes better decisions with the ball and has really started realizing his potential throwing passes.
    2. He's got legit weapons in Hines, Santonio, Heath, Matt Spaeth, Parker, and Washington.
    3. The missing piece is the line in front of him. If Ben gets consistent blocking the NFL won't know who hit them.
    I agree with all three things......His decision making is far much better and I don't care about his 3 INTs anymore in the first half of that game....I think he always be the type were his going to have INTs like that in some games....Just Brett Favre all these years....But you know what I rather have a QB with no fear then one that has fear.....With Ben we know that any deficit isn't to much...lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's the great thing about Ben, if we still had Kordell or Neil or some chump back there at QB who wasn't capable of picking up this team and driving them down for a crucial score late in the game to rally the troops we'd be a lot worse off than Ben throwing some int's at the wrong time. You get what you get with Ben, the good and the not so good sometimes but with him there good outweighs the not so good that it's not even funny.

I don't even want to think of this team without Ben at QB for another 10 years.

Thread Information