Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starks a priority.....

Bookmark and Share
    Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    I'm not so sure moving Alan to center is wise, and I don't really understand how it went from Max "Turnstile" Starx at the beginning of the season--to all of a sudden articles saying how good he is and that he needs re-signed (at a higher rate of pay and as a starter no doubt)...
    People said the same thing about Jeff Hartings when he came here. Faneca is a great O-lineman period, nit just a great LG. If we sign him and put him at C he will ball like he always does.

IMHO, Max is a decent back-up, but I didn't see anything at the beginning of the year (or any other time) to make him worth paying lots of money for. He played only at what I consider a barely acceptable level--guys a lot smaller than him blows him off blocks--he just doesn't seem to have that "killer" instinct and attitude that I think we need. Heck, all the more Trai has played this year--he came in and replaced Max at LT, and I didn't see any drop off at all. So we could probably get someone who's several years younger, who's hungry to play and show what they can do for a LOT less money.
    I don't know what you saw, but Essex was garbage blocking for the run. Max can play, he just lost his edge, which he got back by being benched.

2nd String
    what type of discount can we get with starks ,faneca, an ben 2 sign?we have 2 make the right moves this year change these o.c an d.c make the right personnel moves alsoman where 2 good 2 not make the right moves we can b playing n tampa next feb come on rooneys get it 2gether..................

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Earlier in the year I was calling for Starks head when he was stinking up the joint in an open competition where he had the chance to win the RT job. However being benched and then coming back in the lineup I think has really done him some good and he's played better, not great, but definitely better.

I don't know that Faneca would be that great of a Center but then again I don't know that he wouldn't either. It could be an experiment but still you need a solid anchor on the line at Center and if we have the chance to draft one then you take it and we need that big time. If Alan is willing to come back then keep him where he is, move Max to RT. Let Simmons, Kemoeatu, and a draft pick fight it out at RG.

If Marvel is not going to be 100% from this surgery then you open yourself up to doing some real experimenting trying to find players either on the roster now or from somewhere else to play LT.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Earlier in the year I was calling for Starks head when he was stinking up the joint in an open competition where he had the chance to win the RT job. However being benched and then coming back in the lineup I think has really done him some good and he's played better, not great, but definitely better.

I don't know that Faneca would be that great of a Center but then again I don't know that he wouldn't either. It could be an experiment but still you need a solid anchor on the line at Center and if we have the chance to draft one then you take it and we need that big time. If Alan is willing to come back then keep him where he is, move Max to RT. Let Simmons, Kemoeatu, and a draft pick fight it out at RG.

If Marvel is not going to be 100% from this surgery then you open yourself up to doing some real experimenting trying to find players either on the roster now or from somewhere else to play LT.
    I really would hate to see us try another experiment, the 2007 one failed miserably. We definitely need to draft a LT and maybe a C. If not a C then a G who has the physical qualities to switch to C. Finding that elusive G is tricky though, I don't think our scouting dept. is up for the task.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think if you have the chance to draft a top notch LT and C on day 1 you better do it because it's obvious our depth needs serious help as well as some starters. It's time to prioritize the OL in the draft above all else and take care of Ben next year with some quality blocking.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I think if you have the chance to draft a top notch LT and C on day 1 you better do it because it's obvious our depth needs serious help as well as some starters. It's time to prioritize the OL in the draft above all else and take care of Ben next year with some quality blocking.
    If they all fall into place or we need to trade up or down, whatever it takes we need OL help, most definitely our #1 priority.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

essex could play guard imo

i want to keep starks, something i never thought i would say. Faneca would be a badass center, but that wont happen, especially cause faneca had a **** poor year this year.

Gandy, oher, otah, cherilus and baker could all be options, long will be gone top 5.

i think essex and colon could both make badass guards, but mediocre tackles

the bucs line got badass as soon as mahan left...cough cough

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    ....I don't know what you saw, but Essex was garbage blocking for the run. Max can play, he just lost his edge, which he got back by being benched.
    I was referring to protecting Ben's blind side--Essex did it as well as Marvel AND Max--I saw no drop off in that at all. I agree that Max was "better" after being benched, but he still certainly wasn't playing at an exceptional level.

Thread Information