Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about comp picks if we let Faneca and Starks go

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Official God steelcurtain09's Avatar

What about comp picks if we let Faneca and Starks go

If we let Faneca and Starks go and didnt try to or only replaced one through free agency we would get compensatory picks to replace them with. if we dont replace Faneca we should get a third rounder which is technically a Day 1 pick even though it isnt really. there should still be some depth left at OL at that point or we could wait till then to get another position and use the earlier picks for OL. if we dont replace Starks either we should either get a 4th or 5th rounder. if Tomlin and Colbert improve on last years draft like we all believe he should then that would also be a good pick.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Faneca will be free, no contract, I don't think we'll get any comp picks for him. What we get in return as far as a comp pick is based on the players performance the following season.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I thought we only get comp's if it's RFA.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more unrestricted free agents than they sign (players who are cut do not factor into the equation). The highest selection a team can get as compensation is a pick at the end of the third round. The formula by which comp picks are awarded is a more closely guarded secret than the recipe for the Colonel's greasy chicken. Even NFL teams don't know it. But the picks are determined by the difference of the contracts signed by the players lost and the players acquired, as well as by the performances of the players.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    at least you got a clue as to which direction this is going. but what about this year, Anything?

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    at least you got a clue as to which direction this is going. but what about this year, Anything?
    I think the NFL determines that around March, don't quote me on that

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

well i was thinking that because Fanecas will most likely sign a monster contract if he leaves then even though we dont know the formula we should definitely get a third round comp pick

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtain09 View Post
    well i was thinking that because Fanecas will most likely sign a monster contract if he leaves then even though we dont know the formula we should definitely get a third round comp pick
    yeah but he's not under contract with us anymore, 2007 was his last year under contract, we're not gettin anything for him. It would be different if he was a RFA or a UFA but hes just a FA, free and clear of the Steelers.

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    yeah but he's not under contract with us anymore, 2007 was his last year under contract, we're not gettin anything for him. It would be different if he was a RFA or a UFA but hes just a FA, free and clear of the Steelers.
    the rule is if we lose more players to free agency then we sign, we get a pick for each player we lost minus the number we signed. if we dont sign Faneca and we dont replace him through free agency, we will get a

here is the wikipedia description of it. it does a better job then i ever could.
    Compensatory Picks
    In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of up to 32 picks dispersed at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

Faneca will be a 3rd round Comp Pick
    Starks a 4th Round Comp pick
    Haggans a 5th Round Comp Pick

Thread Information