Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so tired of hearing this already

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

so tired of hearing this already

Saturday's AFC Wild Card matchup between the Jaguars and Steelers was one of the more exciting playoff games I've ever seen.

Although the Jags jumped out to a 28-10 lead, Pittsburgh was able to work its way back into the game behind a solid second-half performance from Ben Roethlisberger.

But it was too little too late for the Steelers, as Jacksonville drove down the field in the final minutes for what would be a game-winning field goal.

Many Pittsburgh fans will want to blame the loss on Roethlisberger, who threw three interceptions and fumbled in the final minute to secure the game for the Jags. Yes, the turnovers definitely hurt—but then again the Steelers were still in it in the final minutes.

In truth, what really lost the game for Pittsburgh was two poor coaching decisions by Mike Tomlin. ( I guess this guy found out where they sell these Crystal Balls at

Down 28-23 with four minutes left after a Heath Miller touchdown, Tomlin decided to go for two to make it a three-point game. The Steelers didn't convert, and remained down five.
    It seemed meaningless at the time—but after David Garrard was intercepted again, the Steelers found the end zone and went up 29-28.

The failure on the first conversion compelled Tomlin to go for two again—and the try was once again unsuccessful.

Here's a message to Tomlin and every other coach in the league: Only go for two if you absolutely HAVE TO.

Had Pittsburgh taken the extra point in each of those scenarios, they would've been up 31-28 at the end—and Josh Scobee's field goal would have only forced overtime. I realize there were under four minutes left when Miller scored to make it 28-23, but you never know what will happen down the stretch.
    What if's.......
    No direct 1 person can be blamed for what happen yesterday and I don't see any crystal balls anywhere, so to say Tomlin is at fault is just *** nine.
    Ya he made some dumb f*cked up calls but what if he didn't and the 2 extra kicks where made????
    Even after Josh's kick to tie game there would have still been time on the clock in the end and if Ben would have repeated the Fumble the Jags still had time to get 1 last kick off before the end of the game and we would have lost anyways.
    The game was played as destined and there's nothing we can do about it. They played well and life will go on. Now let go on to the Draft that's only 3 months away.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Tomlin defended those scenarios in his post game press conference. When you are up by only 1 or 2 after scoring a TD and it's late in the game the magical charts that all coaches use will tell you to go for 2 every time. Being up by 1 or 2 does you no good and you can't count on being able to score again so you have to take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves.

The only thing I would have done differently is not have gone for 2 when Mahan was flagged for that phantom holding penalty after Hines made that circus catch on the orignal attempt. At that point I would have kicked the extra point most likely which would have still put us 3 points ahead at the end of the game.

You live and learn in circumstances like that but hey it's the playoffs and you have to play balls out no holding back. He believed in the team but in the end we fell just short...

2nd String
    CAPTCOOLHAND I'M WITH U REMEMBER TOMLINS AN 1ST YEAR COACH,HE'S GONNA MAKES MISTAKES, BEN ON THE OTHER HAND KNOWS BETTER,HE'S OR FRANCHISE...............HE CAN'T AFFORD 2 KEEP MAKING THESE DUMB DECISIONS THROWING N 2 DOUBLE COVERAGE WHAT ABOUT THROWING THE BALL AWAY?EVERYONE KNOWS MATHIS WILL TAKE CHANCES WHAT ABOUT GIVING HIM AN DOUBLE MOVE, THE POINT IS THIS IT'S AN TEAM EFFORT, I 4 ONE AM HAPPY THEY LOST BECASUE IT GIVES TOMLIN THE TIME 2 REPLACE THE SPECIAL TEAMS COACH AN O-LINE COACH WITH QUALITY PEOPLE..................................THE STEELERS NATION WILL B O.K ONCE MIKE MAKE THE PROPER ADJUSTMENTS WE WILL B A SUPERBOWL CONTENDERSO PEOPLE CALM DOWN, EVEN BILL COWARD TOOK 3 YEARS 2 GET BACK 2 THE SUPERBOWL AN HE LOST, I BET U WHEN MIKE GET THERE HE WILL WIN WATCH WHAT I'M SAYING..................

I concur! We can't use those if's at all.. Then we could begin with: What if we didnt have all those injuries? What if we didnt get those interceptions what if what if what if... What if we just forgot the what ifs and moved on. We lost the game, against a good team who showed up and punished us when we made mistakes. We showed up in second half, and Tomlin made calls in which he believed would be the best. The odd thing is, its only one little play he called wrong. Nobody thinks about the 3 touchdowns they had just before. no, the only important play in this game was the phantom holding and then the other attempt for 2 points. It makes me sick! Everyone makes mistakes, and what can you do about it? pick up the pieces and move on. Learn from them, instead of making a big deal out of it. We'll be there next year, with a coach who can use all this time off to look through the tapes and check, what did we do wrong, and more important: What did "I" do wrong.

The future is bright ladies and gentlemen! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    I concur! We can't use those if's at all.. Then we could begin with: What if we didnt have all those injuries? What if we didnt get those interceptions what if what if what if... What if we just forgot the what ifs and moved on. We lost the game, against a good team who showed up and punished us when we made mistakes. We showed up in second half, and Tomlin made calls in which he believed would be the best. The odd thing is, its only one little play he called wrong. Nobody thinks about the 3 touchdowns they had just before. no, the only important play in this game was the phantom holding and then the other attempt for 2 points. It makes me sick! Everyone makes mistakes, and what can you do about it? pick up the pieces and move on. Learn from them, instead of making a big deal out of it. We'll be there next year, with a coach who can use all this time off to look through the tapes and check, what did we do wrong, and more important: What did "I" do wrong.

The future is bright ladies and gentlemen! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!
    Nice post....and I agree with everyone...we can all sit and ask the what ifs over and over again. It's over now and we need to focus on the team for next year. I believe we are heading in the right directions and I think we know exactly what needs to be fixed on the team. .

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The "what ifs" are what drive you nuts from now till training camp

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post

The only thing I would have done differently is not have gone for 2 when Mahan was flagged for that phantom holding penalty after Hines made that circus catch on the orignal attempt. At that point I would have kicked the extra point most likely which would have still put us 3 points ahead at the end of the game.
    Clear as day that it never happened
    But you're right because even with just 1 extra pt would have made the Jags have to go for the TD and not the FG.
    But did you guys see when Ward clearly had his hands in dudes grill(facemask) and never got called.....lol

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The "what ifs" are what drive you nuts from now till training camp
    Fur sure now lets get her done!

The list could go on and on...I learned years ago....these what ifs will drive you crazy. We lost...end of the story. Our offseason has begun and it's time to move forward to next year!!!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Head coach didn't lose the game for us. The pick 6 from BB, and the 98 YD return cost us.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information