Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning for a future with Faneca and Starks.....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Planning for a future with Faneca and Starks.....

The Pittsburgh Steelers understand what it takes to remain an elite team, so they're not about to let Alan Faneca and Max Starks walk out the door without trying to keep them. Read what the front office has in mind.

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers don’t expect the season to end for another month, but the front office is prepared to plow ahead with an off-season plan that involves competitive contract offers to both Alan Faneca and Max Starks.

“We’re going to take a run at both of them,” said a high-level source with the team.

When asked to assess the possibility the Steelers can sign either player, the source said: “Fifty-fifty on each.”

The Steelers have found themselves in dire straits along the offensive line with the recent back problems being endured by left tackle Marvel Smith.
    Smith was replaced ably by Starks, who came off the bench the last month of the season and showed how well he can play when his weight’s under control. But Starks injured the meniscus cartilage in his left knee and was put on injured reserve this week.

The Steelers don’t expect the recent surgery to impede the progress Starks has made, thus the renewed interest in the 6-foot-8 tackle.
    As for Faneca and his perception of his Steelers career, Faneca said only two days ago: “I go with the assumption it’s over.”

He might be right, considering the Steelers normally wouldn’t pay a 31-year-old guard the exorbitant salary it’ll take to keep him. But Faneca, who made his 96th consecutive regular-season start last week and his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl three weeks ago, hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down.

And then there was this comment from Larry Zierlein earlier this week:
    “I wouldn’t be surprised to see Alan finish his career as a center because he’s just so smart,” said the Steelers’ offensive line coach.

After a season of inconsistent play at that position, the Steelers would no doubt like to do with Faneca what they should’ve done to keep Rod Woodson: Offer the big contract with the caveat of the player moving to another position as he slows down.

Woodson did, in fact, finish his career as a free safety. He left the Steelers following the 1996 season and didn’t retire until the end of the 2003 season.
    Faneca was asked about the prospect of finishing his career as the Steelers’ next great center.

“I’d be open to listening,” he said. “I’m not saying I would do that or be against it. I’d definitely be open-minded and talk about it with whomever.”
    The Steelers also believe Faneca might give them a slight break, or “hometown discount,” because of his wife Julie’s affinity for Pittsburgh.
    “We made lots of great friends here,” Faneca admitted. “No one ever said it would be easy.”

But it doesn’t have to be so difficult. The front office watched quarterback Ben Roethlisberger absorb 47 sacks this season and realizes that losing two of the team’s best linemen is not the proper direction to take. And with a reported $18.6 million available under the projected 2008 salary cap, the Steelers have the means to take whatever direction they wish.

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    4 Jan 2008
    If this were to happen, our OL problems would drastically change for the better. Come draft day we could concentrate on other needs, specifically our DL on day 1 instead of trying to find 2 lineman on day 1.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

I read this on SCI.com as well

I would love to see this happen. Faneca could easily make a wicked center. Mahan is not cutting it. For some reason Mahan gets abused regularly and pushed back into Ben or Willie's running lanes. I am not even sure if Mahan makes a good guard. Which part of the line is acceptable to cave in on a regular basis? The man needs to get bigger, get stronger or be gone! Starks can leave. He is big and slow and too nice, needs to get a mean streak.

There are some quality O-lineman out there.

1. 79 Sam Baker OL 6-5 305 05/30/1985 SR* USC
    2. 77 Gosder Cherilus OL 6-7 319 06/28/1984 SR* Boston College
    3. 54 Quentin Groves DE 6-3 254 07/05/1984 SR Auburn
    4. 96 Lawrence Jackson DE 6-5 265 08/30/1985 SR* USC
    5. 77 Jake Long OT 6-7 313 05/09/1985 SR* Michigan
    6. 75 Mike McGlynn OL 6-5 315 03/08/1985 SR* Pittsburgh
    7. 79 Barry Richardson OT 6-7 330 05/16/1986 SR Clemson
    8. 74 Chris Williams OT 6-6 320 08/26/1985 SR* Vanderbilt
    9. 54 Eric Young OG 6-4 305 11/22/1983 SR Tennessee

These are amongst some of the top names on my "Hot List" at SCI. I would still like 2 O-lineman and another bad-*** tweener on day 1.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

That would be great,,,,,,,,,,,Would love to keep both if possible

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's going to be easier to resign Starks than it will be Faneca. Teams will shy away from Max because of his injury so he won't have as high a value on the market this year which means they'll have a good chance to land him if he wants to stay here.

I hadn't considered Faneca at Center before although if any lineman could make the transition it would be him. One thing is for sure, IF that did happen he'd be a far cry better than Mahan but then again that isn't saying much.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    actually now round 1 and 2 are the only rounds that will be on day 1 (just thought i'd bring it up lol)

also **** faneca, it's time for some youth to be injected in our oline, we need more tomlin guys, no more ppl that slobbed on grimms and cowhers nuts lol

not sure if i like starks, this could be him just playing good in a contract year and then he might go back to his old sucky self when he gets his money

and i want a true center, no more experimenting with guards moving there.....lets just draft one in the 3rd round
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Gold Standard
    This next draft still needs to be all about the O-line and maybe another day 1 linebacker (we are still thin at LB after the starters). I think that if we had a better O-line we already have plenty of skill position players to compete at a high level. We're set at TE. RB's can be had late in the draft and are a dime a dozen. If you have a good run blocking O-line any back can run behind it. Steeler and Bronco teams of recent past have proven that theory. With a great O-line its plug and play with the RB's. We also need more depth at DE. The loss of Aaron Smith has really hurt us. Travis Kirske and Nick Eason have not impressed and have really showed us how great Smith really is!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

i hope you all watched faneca play this year....theres a reason why they wont pay him, hes way over the hill and has reached bum status, he will never play another down for us after this week and its for the better. I would like to keep starks and i hope mahan dies in a fire.....him leaving made the bucs line badass.

Lets watch essex for any talent tomorrow...a possible move to guard for him in possible and he might be able to dominate there

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    actually now round 1 and 2 are the only rounds that will be on day 1 (just thought i'd bring it up lol)

also **** faneca, it's time for some youth to be injected in our oline, we need more tomlin guys, no more ppl that slobbed on grimms and cowhers nuts lol

not sure if i like starks, this could be him just playing good in a contract year and then he might go back to his old sucky self when he gets his money

and i want a true center, no more experimenting with guards moving there.....lets just draft one in the 3rd round
    Yea moving a OG to center never works out.... lol Oh Jeff Hartings was an all-pro OG with the Lions...Made the switch to center with no problem...Now about Faneca....Noway I want him resigned...He is past his prime.....Not worth the money he will receive as a FA.....The Steelers need to draft a center though big time...I agree......But still you can look at OG that potentially can play center in the draft........Dermontti Dawson who is regarded as one of the best centers of all time played OG at Kentucky......So OG can make the switch to center the trick is finding a player that can make that transition...Which is were scouting comes into play......

I don't care who the Steelers draft a OG that can play center or a true center just as long as the player can play center better then Sean Mahan....lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i hope you all watched faneca play this year....theres a reason why they wont pay him, hes way over the hill and has reached bum status, he will never play another down for us after this week and its for the better. I would like to keep starks and i hope mahan dies in a fire.....him leaving made the bucs line badass.

Lets watch essex for any talent tomorrow...a possible move to guard for him in possible and he might be able to dominate there
    Trai Essex will in the spot light no doubt....I'm looking forward to seeing him play.....Hopefully he holds his own.....Interesting that he can maybe move to OG.....We both think Colon can move to OG also....Seems this team might have a bunch of OGs in place for next year.....
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 01-05-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Yea moving a OG to center never works out.... lol Oh Jeff Hartings was an all-pro OG with the Lions...Made the switch to center with no problem...Now about Faneca....Noway I want him resigned...He is past his prime.....Not worth the money he will receive as a FA.....The Steelers need to draft a center though big time...I agree......But still you can look at OG that potentially can play center in the draft........Dermontti Dawson who is regarded as one of the best centers of all time played OG at Kentucky......So OG can make the switch to center the trick is finding a player that can make that transition...Which is were scouting comes into play......

I don't care who the Steelers draft a OG that can play center or a true center just as long as the player can play center better then Sean Mahan....lol
    i never said it didn't work, i'm referring to the experiments we got going now with mahan and when we were trying to make simmons on in the preseason.........that's what i'm saying i want to stop, that's why i want a dude that has produced at center in college that has what it takes in the nfl to be a good center, and i'm sure there is some that we can draft in the 3rd that can be good for us
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    i never said it didn't work, i'm referring to the experiments we got going now with mahan and when we were trying to make simmons on in the preseason.........that's what i'm saying i want to stop, that's why i want a dude that has produced at center in college that has what it takes in the nfl to be a good center, and i'm sure there is some that we can draft in the 3rd that can be good for us
    Well playing Simmons at center is retarded and Mahan just sucks....So I agree the Steelers need a center...If they draft a true center then fine...Just saying I would also look at some of OGs in the draft that could play center......The Steelers need to explore all options in improving the center position......Like I said I don't care if they draft an OG or an OT that can switch to center...Just as long as that player is better then Mahan...lol

Thread Information