Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starks is out for the year

Bookmark and Share

Starks is out for the year

Steelers' starting left tackle Max Starks' knee injury is serious enough that he will not play again this season, coach Mike Tomlin said.

Starks has a meniscus injury that will require surgery.

Also, the Steelers will place special teams captain Clint Kriewaldt on injured reserve with a continuing neck injury.

The Steelers will sign two players to replace them on their 53-man roster.

Starks is the second left tackle the Steelers have lost. Regular starter Marvel Smith cannot play after having back surgery last week, although he has not yet been placed on injured reserve.

Starks' left knee injury means that Trai Essex, who played the final three quarters in Baltimore, likely will start at left tackle Saturday night in the first playoff game at Heinz Field in three years.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08001/845874-66.stm

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wow this is bad, really bad. We only have 3 tackles on the roster with any game significant game experience and now 2 of them are out. Essex better be ready to play and show up big time this weekend. I guess now we'll really find out if all these years of him sitting behind the starters has paid off or not...
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-01-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Boy, happy near year huh? Well, you're right TG, we'll find out what Essex is made of.

I'm A "Champion"

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Man I can't remember the last time this many players has been put on IR. this sucks!

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Wow this is bad, really bad. We only have 3 tackles on the roster with any game significant game experience and now 2 of them are out. Essex better be ready to play and show up big time this weekend. I guess now we'll really find out if all these years of him sitting behind the starters has paid off or not...
    Essex has played before and done okay for the most part a few years back when Marvel Smith was injured during the year of the Super Bowl. He did a nice job the other night in Baltimore when Starks went out as well from what I saw. This is pretty much the best option the Steelers have for now is playing Essex at left tackle as opposed to moving Faneca over there for this game. By doing that you then weaken two positions as opposed to one. Faneca needs to stay at guard and do what he does best and this you gotta figured this team has kept Trai Essex around for a reason and he is a third round pick so its time to find out what he can do once in for all in a playoff game against a pretty good D.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    Essex has played before and done okay for the most part a few years back when Marvel Smith was injured during the year of the Super Bowl. He did a nice job the other night in Baltimore when Starks went out as well from what I saw. This is pretty much the best option the Steelers have for now is playing Essex at left tackle as opposed to moving Faneca over there for this game. By doing that you then weaken two positions as opposed to one. Faneca needs to stay at guard and do what he does best and this you gotta figured this team has kept Trai Essex around for a reason and he is a third round pick so its time to find out what he can do once in for all in a playoff game against a pretty good D.
    Essex did look solid vs the Ravens......Steelers just need to run quick slants since I'm sure that front four of the Jags will win their match ups with the Steelers OL....

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Essex did look solid vs the Ravens......Steelers just need to run quick slants since I'm sure that front four of the Jags will win their match ups with the Steelers OL....
    to bad ben refuses to throw quick passes, it's either a 40 yard bomb or a sack for this dude
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Essex may be the best option right now at RT but it still doesn't make me feel better having him out there. The only significant playing time he's gotten was a a few years, or in preseason. The other night against Baltimore he did OK but it wasn't like Batch still wasn't being pressured. Hey if the kid steps up and plays great than that's awesome, Im pulling for him but Im not just not that confident right now. Hopefully he kicks ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    Faneca needs to stay at guard and do what he does best
    miss blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by LeXX75 View Post
    miss blocks?
    LMAO!! I agree, our line looked much better when they pulled his sorry *** out last week.

Thread Information